Flowers, Chocolates, Qtips missing Oh My..

waterlizard

As have the prices generally here in the US. Most of the last minute deals that Celebrity publishes weekly are more in line with what the normal cabin prices used to be.

We still love the Celebrity experience, but can't help but wonder, where all of these "small cutbacks" are going to end.

It's tiring to keep hearing "it's only chocolates, I don't eat them; it's only flowers, I can live without them; it's only fruit, as long as they leave the fruit I like; it's only cotton swabs, they've probably been touched anyway; it's only 2 or 3 of the activity staff, I don't play trivia; I don't want to pay for others' zumba anyway; it's only the MDR cocktail waiter, I don't drink anyway", and on and on and on.

Someday they'll be a point when those who appreciated those things that set Celebrity apart feel that they may as well consider other alternatives & leave Celebrity to those who do not care about those things.

Heck, maybe then they can even turn the music back up & it will be the best of both worlds, less amenities because we don't need them, & loud music!

Details are like stitches; remove too many and the article is useless.

Succinctly but perfectly put! :(

I'm going to have to agree with you. I'm not a germaphobe either, but the fact of the matter is that not everyone washes hands as often as they should. There *are* people in the world who are very unsanitary or just have nasty habits.

Case in point? Stopped off at Target to stock up on mini's for an upcoming trip. Among them was a small pot of Vaseline for my lips on my TA flight. Got home to realize that it had been used. Used apparently more than once. (I say this because there was more than one finger line in it) AND PUT BACK IN WITH THE OTHERS.

I'm sorry, but that's just freaking disgusting!

Now, some may argue that no one would use a qtip or cotton ball and put it back- but if there are people who would think nothing of dipping their fingers into a pot of vaseline and applying it lord knows wherever, you have to wonder what else they do in their cabins. And those same people are touching elevator buttons, railings, serving handles at the buffet, etc. And like the person I'm responding to said- you often will touch the others trying to get one out. It isn't that we think they've used it and put it back- its the idea that you have NO idea whether the person before you was as hygienic as we'd like when they reached into the container in the first place.

Agreed!! On all accounts... and apologies in advance for the "off topic" post.

I think most people probably don't realize how long they go between washing their hands. I have asked this question of people in different ways in the past by asking them to tell me how many different objects they have come in contact with since last washing their hands (such as door knobs, elevator buttons, using a hand rail, using a mobile phone, touching / exchanging money, shaking someone's hand, etc). Most people have no idea of the number or have a very low count while others just don't recall when they last washed their hands.

I would never sit down to eat or handle food of any kind without first washing my hands immediately before eating. Once done eating, I wash up again. I'm sure we have all seen cruise passengers actually eating while standing in the buffet lines. They lick their fingers and then proceed to pick up more food, usually touching or using the serving implements as they go. I no longer dine in the buffet area for this reason.

Also, some of us may notice people's habits when using a public restroom facility, even on ships, where someone does not practice / perform effective hand washing after using the facility (or even wash hands at all!! :eek:). I don't want to invite criticism or debate from those folks that have their own personal medical "issues" about using hand sanitizer or other soaps available in public facilities, but those people are no less capable than the rest of us for receiving / passing along contaminants.

You cannot control what other people will do, but you can take control of your own personal health & safety and frequently wash your hands.

Edited by vulcan1971

Agreed!! On all accounts... and apologies in advance for the "off topic" post.

I think most people probably don't realize how long they go between washing their hands. I have asked this question of people in different ways in the past by asking them to tell me how many different objects they have come in contact with since last washing their hands (such as door knobs, elevator buttons, using a hand rail, using a mobile phone, touching / exchanging money, shaking someone's hand, etc). Most people have no idea of the number or have a very low count while others just don't recall when they last washed their hands.

I would never sit down to eat or handle food of any kind without first washing my hands immediately before eating. Once done eating, I wash up again. I'm sure we have all seen cruise passengers actually eating while standing in the buffet lines. They lick their fingers and then proceed to pick up more food, usually touching or using the serving implements as they go. I no longer dine in the buffet area for this reason.

Also, some of us may notice people's habits when using a public restroom facility, even on ships, where someone does not practice / perform effective hand washing after using the facility (or even wash hands at all!! :eek:). I don't want to invite criticism or debate from those folks that have their own personal medical "issues" about using hand sanitizer or other soaps available in public facilities, but those people are no less capable than the rest of us for receiving / passing along contaminants.

You cannot control what other people will do, but you can take control of your own personal health & safety and frequently wash your hands.

Hear Hear!

When I go on vacation (especially on a cruise or to Disney) I take PocketBac- the little bath n body works hand sanitizer with me. I use the little case they have that goes through your belt loop and attach it to me. Daily. And if I forget? I will stop off at CVS or Target etc and pick up a new one. I do not touch elevator buttons with my hands; esp not in those environments, I'll use my elbow. I make a conscious effort not to touch hand rails, to sanitize my hands after I've handled my passes/tickets/money etc., I wash my hands before/after eating, etc.

It's not about me being a germaphobe so much as it is about me knowing that not everyone is clean. Not everyone has the same manners and what the old southern folk called home training.

Case in point? the people you mentioned grazing while they are in the buffet line. That's just gross. But to them? It's SOP.

And while I get maybe not everyone can use hand sanitizer or you may not care for the soap in a public restroom- I can not fathom touching myself in the tolieted areas and NOT somehow cleaning my hands. I just can't. If I was opposed to the soap I would return to my cabin or carry my soap with me. But never would I not wash my hands and then proceed to touch the stall door/lock, bathroom door, and all the other things you touch in a day after doing so.

Just like you can ask someone when was the last time they washed their hands, or how many things they'd touched since they'd done so, you should ask a person to count how many times they touch their face, mouth, eyes, etc. with their hands in a half hour or hour. Now, imagine doing that after you've touched something that potentially another 3100 (or 6500 on a megaship) other people had the potential to touch too?

No thank you.

And now I will attempt to return to thread back 'on topic' by asking those who may have sailed with the line longer than I, do you think that these things that are disappearing are a sign of the times (ie part of the more informal society we currently live in); or are they merely the line watching the bottom dollar?

Edited by sperkins921

The first time i noticed the q tips and cotton balls I assumed the attendant changed them with each passenger. We don't have to worry about it anymore now that you must ask for them and get a poor quality in separate wrapping.

On board the Eclipse in Norway September 2014. Gone are the fresh flowers, we are in Aqua Class. The nighlty chocolates on our pillows are no where to be found. Also missing are the Qtips and Cotton balls. The bath products have also changed. No rose from the Captains Host/Hostess on formal nights, we are Elite Plus. Has anyone else experiened the recent Celebrity cutbacks? Our last cruise was in April 2014, Solstice Australia, it appears so much has changed in 4 months. Where is Celebrity headed?

Passengers on all cruise lines have demanded lower fares, typically by holding out for late price drops. When too many passengers do this the overall revenue per sailing decreases. When any business encounters a lower market price for the product or service they must to look for ways to decrease expenses. Meanwhile their costs for everything else from fuel to frozen lobster tails are increasing. Amenities have to be paid for some how.

It's not economically possible to have it both ways. "Awesome deal" prices and premium services do not co-exist for very long.

Passengers on all cruise lines have demanded lower fares, typically by holding out for late price drops. When too many passengers do this the overall revenue per sailing decreases. When any business encounters a lower market price for the product or service they must to look for ways to decrease expenses. Meanwhile their costs for everything else from fuel to frozen lobster tails are increasing. Amenities have to be paid for some how.

It's not economically possible to have it both ways. "Awesome deal" prices and premium services do not co-exist for very long.

Boy, is this true! Many posters here seem to be ignoring this basic truism of Economics 101.

I was in Aqua Class on Eclipse on the cruise right before yours, in the Baltic. Please read my review, the link is in my signature, just click on it. I address the cuts, but also, new things that are provided, very specifically. I found many new additions, like excellent quality free classes in the fitness center, and an improved shore excursion methodology (which I think I forgot to mention in my review) where the excursions are all listed in the theater on a huge overhead projector, taking away all of the questions and anxiety of the timing. We did have a Captains Club rose, and we did have Q-tips. We did get chocolates one night, though they have changed, no longer the "X" logo chocolates. One night, we got chocolate covered Oreos - very nice - a collaboration between Celebrity and Nabisco, certainly a win:win marketing strategy. They were so good, all of the passengers wishing they were given out more than once. The point that I make in my review is that yes, there have been cutbacks, but the guest experience remains stellar. Everything that I knew was different or missing, was something that if I hadn't known it had been there, I would never have missed it. The reductions are transparent to the guest experience. Service remained extraordinary, the quality of food was top notch. WiFi is VASTLY improved, and the way "X" handles the free Elite 90 minutes, we were very happy about that. And the Elite drink coupons now come preprinted in your cabin on the first day, so you get all of your coupons up front. This streamlines things for everyone. We remain loyal and applaud the company for being creative with their cost cutting measures as the cutbacks are small, tiny things, transparent, plus, they have added new things, and the experience remains upper crust.

What about the cruises during peak season? They usually go up, not down.

I do not see this in what I book. The cruise rates have continued to increase. The categories that have increased amenities are to be SS and above and those losing amenities are Aq and below. The lowest rate I paid was 2013 for something I booked in 2012. No way could I get that kind of bargain now, although I look for them. There is more at play than just prices going up, there are the new ships with economies of scale and there is the new marketing plan. Give more to upper suites and less to balconies. If the service does not decline then it will likely work. But if that rushed feeling becomes a staff norm then Celebrity will no longer be a premium cruise line or as we used to laugh Crystal extra light. It will be the normal mass-market line. Maybe this is what it wants, not sure if anyone knows yet. Its difficult to know what is up and what is down. but the best bargain I found on an SS in 2012 is higher today but just slightly. Aq is much higher in what I book.

How true. If people want cheaper fares and all the loyalty perks, while food, fuel, etc. prices go up, something has to go. I'd rather have it be things like chocolates and flowers, than many other things Celebrity could delete from the cruising experience. Celebrity is a business and if they don't make money, they will not be in business...Economics 101, something some choose to ignore.

How true. If people want cheaper fares and all the loyalty perks, while food, fuel, etc. prices go up, something has to go. I'd rather have it be things like chocolates and flowers, than many other things Celebrity could delete from the cruising experience. Celebrity is a business and if they don't make money, they will not be in business...Economics 101, something some choose to ignore.

I agree with this economic principle, however what some people are choosing to ignore is that the fares are not cheaper and looking at the stock prices they are certainly not going out of business and are, in fact, going to take the cuts as far as possible until some naive people wake up and see what's happening. As long as people keep spouting this nonsense while the prices keep going up and the quality keeps going down they will continue on their merry way.

In the past, they have been very fair with reasonable fare increases and maintaining the little extras that made them what they are, but lately I, personally, think they are making some poor choices that may hurt them in the long run.

I have no personal ax to grind because I am fortunate to be a very long time and frequent cruiser with them and always have exceptional treatment and great benefits, but I really hate to see the general decline of the product.

What are these other nebulous things that they could delete that they haven't already? I hate to tell you but they are already gone.

From a business standpoint, if you continue to cut amenities, and therefore expenses, and you are still sailing with your ships at capacity, you are doing a damn good job of management.

What many people don't take into account is that these bargain fares we all became so accustomed to were a direct result of the recession, beginning about 6 years ago. Fares were ridiculously cheap in order to try to fill the ships, and make up some of the lost margin of profit by onboard spending opportunities.

Before 2008, I thought $1599 was a VERY great bargain for 12 days in the Med at the end of the season; now I think anything over $1000 is a rip off! Obviously I need to revamp my thinking now that real-world pricing is back.

At this point, none of the cutbacks (chocolates, q-tips, the 'grand buffet', the very questionable flowers) affect me at all. They would have to cut out quite a lot more for me to start looking at other cruise lines. I think if I looked at similar price points, I would have just about the same experience without the excellent benefits I get as an Elite CC member, and what's the point of that??

From a business standpoint, if you continue to cut amenities, and therefore expenses, and you are still sailing with your ships at capacity, you are doing a damn good job of management.

What many people don't take into account is that these bargain fares we all became so accustomed to were a direct result of the recession, beginning about 6 years ago. Fares were ridiculously cheap in order to try to fill the ships, and make up some of the lost margin of profit by onboard spending opportunities.

Before 2008, I thought $1599 was a VERY great bargain for 12 days in the Med at the end of the season; now I think anything over $1000 is a rip off! Obviously I need to revamp my thinking now that real-world pricing is back.

At this point, none of the cutbacks (chocolates, q-tips, the 'grand buffet', the very questionable flowers) affect me at all. They would have to cut out quite a lot more for me to start looking at other cruise lines. I think if I looked at similar price points, I would have just about the same experience without the excellent benefits I get as an Elite CC member, and what's the point of that??

I agree, especially when you see some of the posts on here about how low priced some got their cruises for.

I think Celebrity would have to cut out a whole lot to change the cruising experience for me and I seriously doubt that they would do it, they are IMHO cutting out or changing things that probably the majority doesn't even care enough about to complain. I will say, that with the chocolates (you can get them in the Cafe), the q-tips and cotton (are available in a different form), some of the so called cutbacks are really just changes in how they are presented or given out; I'm surprised that folks don't recognize the difference between a cutback and a change.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It's not the chocolates, q-tips and cotton balls. I'm not surprised that some folks haven't sailed enough to even know what the changes are. Just my opinion.

By the way, most of the Med cruises for 2015 are $2500 to $3500 for 12 days in a balcony cabin.... a real bargain. Actually most of the remaining cruises for this season are still priced at these levels. Of course there are always a few bargains.

Edited by Ma Bell

Yes, these are small cut backs but the question remains, what will be cut next? Free internet minutes, a bag of laundry, bottle of sparkling wine, other amenities that make Celebrity special? If the cuts are accepted without cruise critic members, and others, voicing their opinion they are likely to continue.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Of course they are in business to make money, & of course most people want lower cruise fares. But anyone who thinks that cruise fares haven't gone WAY up in the past year has not been paying attention. In general, Celebrity's eXciting deals mostly feature prices that are more in line with what the normal prices were a year ago. I seem to recall that Nr. Daley said when he took over that his goal was to raise cruise fares---he has done that. However in addition, he has cut back on many of the small things that have set Celebrity apart from much to the competition. At some point, the increased fares & decreased small extras are going to be enough that the experienced Celebrity cruiser starts looking elsewhere.

Good management can also mean stripping the quality for quarterlies with little care of years down the road. Good management in today's corporate culture can ruin a good product, while leaving stock holders happy. Good management is not always good stewardship. Time will tell, but the cuts these past three years have been noticeable. If Celebrity is left stripped and the same as princess or NCL there is no reason to stay loyal. In that case I just take the lowest price because it is the same.

I truly do not believe most are paying very low rates. An occasional bargain past final payment is not the norm.

Of course they are in business to make money, & of course most people want lower cruise fares. But anyone who thinks that cruise fares haven't gone WAY up in the past year has not been paying attention. In general, Celebrity's eXciting deals mostly feature prices that are more in line with what the normal prices were a year ago. I seem to recall that Nr. Daley said when he took over that his goal was to raise cruise fares---he has done that. However in addition, he has cut back on many of the small things that have set Celebrity apart from much to the competition. At some point, the increased fares & decreased small extras are going to be enough that the experienced Celebrity cruiser starts looking elsewhere.

The increases are huge in many cases.

Well, someone is seeing the value and paying the price. . .for now, anyhow. When ships are sailing full, it doesn't make much sense to lower fares.

It also doesn't make sense for them to be cutting the small things that make many people enjoy.

Good management can also mean stripping the quality for quarterlies with little care of years down the road. Good management in today's corporate culture can ruin a good product, while leaving stock holders happy.

Good management is not always good stewardship. Time will tell, but the cuts these past three years have been noticeable. If Celebrity is left stripped and the same as princess or NCL there is no reason to stay loyal. In that case I just take the lowest price because it is the same.

I truly do not believe most are paying very low rates. An occasional bargain past final payment is not the norm.

We are paying more than we were several years ago. I read about the bargains some are getting but I sure am not seeing them.

It also doesn't make sense for them to be cutting the small things that make many people enjoy.

Haven't sailed since last winter. I don't know about others but we'll give it one more chance this winter and if the cuts are noticeable we'll be looking elsewhere for the future.

I have to say that I've wondered about that. :rolleyes:

Definitely not from me. lol. I am young in my cruises compared to others here, but until X I was not really loyal to anyone. I picked based on price and itinerary. Now I'm mostly loyal to X but that is just because the experience was so nice and the price was right at the time. I could just as easy be loyal to royal if the same had factors that landed me on X hand landed me on an RCCI ship instead.

I could care less what cruise lines someone has been on or how many cruises they have been on, if they have cruised on 1 Celebrity cruise, they have the right to express their opinion on the things they like and dislike (like not caring if there are cotton balls, q-tips, chocolates, flowers, etc. in their cabin), so IMHO Celebrity, who reads these threads, can see how ALL OF THEIR CUSTOMERS feel that are members on here.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone had to start their cruising career somewhere, and your opinion counts regardless. Personally, I feel like prices have gone up a bit, and I only started cruising with X this year (but booked the cruise in late 2012, so I had been monitoring the line/prices for nearly 2 years when I finally sailed) but I felt like the service balanced that out. The little things that have been chipped away have not bothered me personally- but I feel like they are valid points nevertheless. I do agree with others who ask, if they keep chipping away, at what point do they stop being any different than anyone else?

But is Celebrity chipping away on all the things that people are yelling and screaming about or are they just exaggerating every change. Take the q-tips, cotton balls and chocolate. They are still available, just in a different way. The q-tips and cotton balls are now pre-packaged (which BTW probably costs more..so much for that cutback) and chocolates are available at the cafe if someone wants them. I find it amazing that folks are complaing about these items when (1) Celebrity was wasting so much money throwing chocolates away and (2) by having the prepackage q-tips and cotton balls it is much more efficient for the staff, as it is easier to just replace the package than to have to carry bulk cotton balls and q-tips and have to fill the containers.

That might be true if they replaced things. We're just off a 7 day cruise and not once did we get any shampoo or q-tips after the first ones. Not a problem, we carry our own q-tips and my husband looted the attendant's cart for more shampoo. Personally, I think if you're only going to give 2 q-tips you shouldn't give any.

That might be true if they replaced things. We're just off a 7 day cruise and not once did we get any shampoo or q-tips after the first ones. Not a problem, we carry our own q-tips and my husband looted the attendant's cart for more shampoo. Personally, I think if you're only going to give 2 q-tips you shouldn't give any.
Did you ask for them to be replaced? On Crystal they have Aveda products, so I don't have to bring mine and on my last cruise with them, they didn't replace it one day and I just left a note to please replace it...no harm/no foul, I'm sure the cabin steward just forgot. I do agree, they should give two packages with the q-tips, but did you ask for more than one package with q-tips; another poster did and didn't have a problem getting more.

Now, what you experienced wouldn't bother me in the least, because I only use Aveda products for my hair and bring my own q-tips and I don't think I'm the only one who brings their own things, but I understand it bothers others and that is why they have to speak up when they are on the cruise.

CruisingChick this is #24. BTW, I hope you are counting the poster that is only 10 posts behind me, but maybe not because she agrees with you.

Edited by NLH Arizona