CAS and Latitudes points question

vllygrrl

It's been a whirlwind of activity here this morning, so I'll have to try to summarize before I get to my question. When we got off the Breakaway last fall, we enjoyed it so much that we decided to try the Getaway this November. DH decided to splurge and booked us an aft Haven suite, under a bonus latitudes points promotion. So, with the bonus points we should have been earning 28 points - 7 days + 7 for the suite + 7 for booking 9 months out + 7 bonus points for the promotion. Not thirty minutes after the booking, a CAS rep called to offer my DH a comp. They worked it out so that we are still in the same room, but we obviously are now paying less. I see the latitudes promotional codes still on our reservation. We are currently at 49 points...so this cruise would have moved us into platinum. I'm just wondering if we lose the suite points by booking with CAS...

The reason I am wondering, is that DH surprised me by booking another CAS cruise on the Gem the day after we get back. We are literally going to get off the Getaway and drive straight through from Miami to NYC. It's just a question of whether or not we will be platinum when we get on the Gem.

I cannot tell you the ins and outs of CAS bookings, but in this case, that may be a secondary point. If your Gem cruise leaves the day after you disembark GA, your latitudes account will not have been updated by the time you get on the Gem. All I can suggest is that you take along the stuff from your getaway cruise, including the suite key card and speak to the loyalty rep aboard the Gem. Maybe, just maybe the loyalty rep will decide to extend Platinum benefits to you.

It's been a whirlwind of activity here this morning, so I'll have to try to summarize before I get to my question. When we got off the Breakaway last fall, we enjoyed it so much that we decided to try the Getaway this November. DH decided to splurge and booked us an aft Haven suite, under a bonus latitudes points promotion. So, with the bonus points we should have been earning 28 points - 7 days + 7 for the suite + 7 for booking 9 months out + 7 bonus points for the promotion. Not thirty minutes after the booking, a CAS rep called to offer my DH a comp. They worked it out so that we are still in the same room, but we obviously are now paying less. I see the latitudes promotional codes still on our reservation. We are currently at 49 points...so this cruise would have moved us into platinum. I'm just wondering if we lose the suite points by booking with CAS...

The reason I am wondering, is that DH surprised me by booking another CAS cruise on the Gem the day after we get back. We are literally going to get off the Getaway and drive straight through from Miami to NYC. It's just a question of whether or not we will be platinum when we get on the Gem.

The number of points you'll earn will be based on the CAS offer - if you were offered a balcony (for example) and upgraded to the suite, you don't get the extra suite points. If you were offered a comp suite or just took a discount on the suite price then you will get the suite points.

It may also be looked at as a new booking, losing the 9 month out points but that's not always the case. As in the above example, if offered a comp less than a suite chances are it's a new booking.

Hope that all makes sense. (And lucky you - basically back to back cruises!)

It will probably take a week in order to post the points to your account.

The number of points you'll earn will be based on the CAS offer - if you were offered a balcony (for example) and upgraded to the suite, you don't get the extra suite points. If you were offered a comp suite or just took a discount on the suite price then you will get the suite points.

It may also be looked at as a new booking, losing the 9 month out points but that's not always the case. As in the above example, if offered a comp less than a suite chances are it's a new booking.

Hope that all makes sense. (And lucky you - basically back to back cruises!)

It will probably take a week in order to post the points to your account.

I usually take the discount route for the suites I book through CAS, but sometimes it's worked from the comp and then add the upgrade. I just checked my cruise history and all of my suites I have received full points.

I have heard others say that you get the points for the original comp, but that's never been the case for me.

I agree with the first answer that it usually takes a couple of weeks for points to post but you may be able to convince someone to take pity on you & upgrade you to platinum for the Gem voyage. Aside from discounts there isn't much that getting platinum benefits will help you over just travelling in a suite.

In regard to earning points, I have booked in suites through CAS where we had an offer of a comp oceanview & upgraded to a suite & have gotten the suite points. My Latitude account summary just shows the Room Type - not that I booked through CAS or any discounts received.

I usually take the discount route for the suites I book through CAS, but sometimes it's worked from the comp and then add the upgrade. I just checked my cruise history and all of my suites I have received full points.

I have heard others say that you get the points for the original comp, but that's never been the case for me.

Sorry to disappoint, but the points will be based on the cabin you're comped, not the one you upgrade to (notwithstanding that you were GOING to pay for it anyway).

BUT... here's the thing.... if hubby is playing enough to get comped balconies, there's a very good chance that they'll use his 'seabucks' to comp-off much of his onboard spend.

In your situation, I'd do the laundry, pay for it, with a reasonable expectation that it will be part of the comps at the end of the trip.

Stephen

Sorry to disappoint, but the points will be based on the cabin you're comped, not the one you upgrade to (notwithstanding that you were GOING to pay for it anyway).

BUT... here's the thing.... if hubby is playing enough to get comped balconies, there's a very good chance that they'll use his 'seabucks' to comp-off much of his onboard spend.

In your situation, I'd do the laundry, pay for it, with a reasonable expectation that it will be part of the comps at the end of the trip.

Stephen

On my last two cruises, I was offered a comp balcony and upgraded to an aft penthouse, I got 7 points for booking, 7 points for a suite and 7 points for 9 months out.

November 2013

7-Day Western CaribbeanNorwegian Jewel

Suite

21 Points

I hope my November cruise is the same, because it will put me over to Platinum.

Edited by NLH Arizona

On my last two cruises, I was offered a comp balcony and upgraded to an aft penthouse, I got 7 points for booking, 7 points for a suite and 7 points for 9 months out.

November 2013

7-Day Western CaribbeanNorwegian Jewel

Suite

21 Points

I hope my November cruise is the same, because it will put me over to Platinum.

WOW Very different experience. I have NEVER gotten suite points when upgraded from a lesser cabin comp. Been VIP for two years now so it can't be tier based. Puzzled.

Guess there's no rhyme or reason to CAS bookings.

WOW Very different experience. I have NEVER gotten suite points when upgraded from a lesser cabin comp. Been VIP for two years now so it can't be tier based. Puzzled.

Guess there's no rhyme or reason to CAS bookings.

Part of it depends on how the suite is booked, part of it is a clerical error on Latitudes part.. If you use the CAS discount on a suite, the suite points automatically post. If you use a CAS comp and upgrade to a suite, clerical errors at latitudes will only post points based on the comp (because of the way the comp is booked- ie. BA/S2, etc that appears on the top of your confirmation). However, paying a full rate upgrade to a suite on a CAS comp DOES COUNT as a suite per Latitudes - I have been through this many many times. But you have to email them after the sailing/points posting to have the changes made manually, and I usually include a copy of my original confirmation as well. Adjustments generally take a few to several weeks.

There is some confusion because suite points are not applicable when one does an Upsell of their cabin at a highly discounted rate (last minute upsell negotiated with NCL). I have confirmed many times that full rate upgrades, ie. CAS upgrades, do count for the extra suite points, and have had all of mine adjusted properly.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Part of it depends on how the suite is booked, part of it is a clerical error on Latitudes part.. If you use the CAS discount on a suite, the suite points automatically post. If you use a CAS comp and upgrade to a suite, clerical errors at latitudes will only post points based on the comp (because of the way the comp is booked- ie. BA/S2, etc that appears on the top of your confirmation). However, paying a full rate upgrade to a suite on a CAS comp DOES COUNT as a suite per Latitudes - I have been through this many many times. But you have to email them after the sailing/points posting to have the changes made manually, and I usually include a copy of my original confirmation as well. Adjustments generally take a few to several weeks.

There is some confusion because suite points are not applicable when one does an Upsell of their cabin at a highly discounted rate (last minute upsell negotiated with NCL). I have confirmed many times that full rate upgrades, ie. CAS upgrades, do count for the extra suite points, and have had all of mine adjusted properly.

Robin

Thanks Robin, that makes sense because as I said mine all show up as suites on my cruise history and they show up with the right amount of points. They must allocate the discount on all of my suites and just the upgrades on my comps for the regular cabins.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Robin

wooHoo! Travel atlas, here I come! Wonder if I can get $0.25 for it at my next garage sale....

That would be $0.25 I don't have now! ;)

Stephen

wooHoo! Travel atlas, here I come! Wonder if I can get $0.25 for it at my next garage sale....

That would be $0.25 I don't have now! ;)

Stephen

Hehehe, I just got mine about a month ago. It was so exciting that I have no idea where it is now. You'd think that they'd offer something of real value for achieving such a milestone lol. What a letdown! ;):D

Robin

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you all for your help. The Gem voyage will be in a regular balcony room, and after being away from home for 2 weeks I'm hoping to take advantage of the laundry perk!

I can answer your Latitudes question since our level changed after the first leg of a b2b2b cruise and we got the new perks on 2nd leg. Latitude points are upgraded at home office after 24 hours, or at least 48 hours. So on the second day on the Gem go to the cruise consultant and have him/her check your status and upgrade it on the ship computer. Then go to the front desk and they will give you a new room key showing your Platinum status.

I hope you realise the "free laundry" perk is only ONE bag special per cruise. :(. When you fill the laundry bag, write Platinum where the cost would go and there will be no charge for that bag. There will be a charge if you do another bag special even if you write Platinum. Our additional charge caught up with us after we returned home. It wasn't on our shipboard account but was later charged to our credit card when NCL realised we'd already used my and my husband's free laundry bag specials. If your traveling companion is also Platinum they also get one free bag special per cruise. But we'd used three specials, not two, on our 14 days aboard ship that segment.

Make sure you also get your voucher for a free Le Bistro dinner. It includes a wine choice. You will also be given one bottle of 'champagne' per cabin for being Platinum. You don't each get a bottle even if both of you are platinum.

But since your CAS offer includes free drinks while playing, you'll have plenty to drink.:)

Edited by NMLady