Can anyone help me understand?

bunkrest

I'm looking to book a Q6 stateroom on QV for later on in the year,when I get to the specific stateroom location and number page I get the following drop down box.

There are only guarantee staterooms available.

Unfortunately we are unable to offer the selection of a specific stateroom for this grade. However, you can continue to book on a guarantee basis. This means you will be allocated the best available stateroom from those that are available within this grade and you will receive all the same benefits that the Cunard Fare offers.

If you do not wish to book on a guarantee please either search for another stateroom number or browse all stateroom styles.

Now,this is the bit I don't understand.

A)..when you pay so much money (the Cunard fare) for a grill stateroom why is it on a guarantee bases.

B)..If it's a guarantee stateroom because there's no Q6 available if I'm moved up to a Q5 then the above part of the statement "This means you will be allocated the best available stateroom from those that are available WITHIN THIS GRADE is a bit misleading.

What I'm trying to understand is,for me being upgraded to a Q5 would be a bit of a downgrade as I believe the corner Q5 suites although they have bigger balconies the actual inside floor space is smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Usually a guarantee means you will get at least that grade but may be upgraded (according to the line's classification - you might not consider it one).

I would call Cunard and see if they could give you a specific Q6 suite. Sometimes you (or a travel agent) can get something on the phone that the website can't give you.

Good luck!

I think your right,I'm going to call them Monday and ask.

Thinking about it I suppose it depends on Cunards interpretation of the word "grade".

I know I'm being technical but does Cunard when they say "within this grade"..do they lump all of the QG staterooms as one grade (I could be moved to any QG stateroom)..or "within this grade"... they'll allocate any of the 9 Q6's at their discretion.

If it's the latter I can't understand the reasoning for not being able to choose my specific stateroom number when it's the "Cunard fare"that I'm paying!

I've got a headache just thinking about it lol..

I have to wait until my other half is out the house....wink wink....

I just want it to be as perfect as possible and no element of surprise,I've set my heart on a Q6,Cunard say on their web site Q6 is Guarantee only and I would be guaranteed a Q6, my interpretation would mean no other grade,so that leaves me to believe that certain Q6's are indeed still available, (hence, why can't I choose a specific one)if I'm upgraded out of a Q6 and into another grade then that's not a guarantee...

Anyway I will call then Monday,if it happens that there's none left then far enough I'll have to decide whether to pay that guarantee price and take what's left or pay extra for a Q5-4 and choose my exact stateroom number and location,

And here's me thinking booking the holiday would be the easy part..:-)

The Q6s are very popular at the back so much that many say no upgrade when booking (me included).

You will probably find yourself upgraded to a Q4 as it seems to be the most common grade to send everyone to next. If you can accept any Q grade the guarantee is the way to go and you never know it could be a Q2, only you can decide if you want to take the risk.

Guarantee QGs were great when they were on a Getaway Fare but now that Cunard are trying not to blink and drop fares it does seem pretty poor that you might get the worst Q6, might get mid-ships Q4 or have a slim chance of scoring a Q1.

From my experience of tracking available QG cabins you sometimes find that they do not show individually available suites one day and then the next they are showing back on line. If they don't show up again then it probably indicates they are trying to back-fill the Q4s.

I hope you're successful with getting them to commit to no upgrades. I doubt that the system could deal with a request for no upgrade beyond Q5 but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well that's it I've booked....Q6 as a guarentee....I've decided to tick the upgrade box, my reason behind this is I think certain Q6's will not be as desirable as others but hay oh what will be will be...interestingly I did a dummy run to see which of the other QG cabins still showed as bookable only 1 Q5 and only 2 Q4's available to choose...managed to get an obscene amount of OBC due to the $100pp per day promotion so all in all I'm happy....now,how can I keep myself from looking at the prices between now and November....:-)

....now,how can I keep myself from looking at the prices between now and November....:-)

Ha… I have already re-priced my crossing in January a multitude of time, and I am still feeling extremely chuffed with myself… :D

I have booked balconies on a saver fare in the past. I have booked the obstructed balcony and almost immediately been given the next grade up. My theory is that Cunard wants to get as many of us in as possible. They sell more of that lowest fare than they have rooms available, knowing that they will have to upgrade some of them but at least they will get more people onto the ship that way. In your case it's a way of discounting the Q4s without it appearing on the website and upsetting people who paid full price.

Ha… I have already re-priced my crossing in January a multitude of time, and I am still feeling extremely chuffed with myself… :D

But did it beat the £250pp this years January West bound which was on offer to anyone ? :D

Edited by Pennbank

Ha ha.....I tell you what if I end up in anything above a Q4/5 I'll be amazed but also happy with a Q6,love the idea of being aft.

Our first time in QG,we've always been the ones pushing our faces up against the QG restaurant screaming "that could have been us"...and now of course for this time it is,so looking forward to it and a real treat..

All booked....what it is that I'm not sure of,are Q6's always sold as Guarantee or is it the case that they have been booked and chosen already..

It's possible that they are sold but the marketing people think that if they showed up all the Q6s as sold, and so the entry level was Q5, then people would think twice about booking one. This way they get more bods on beds. They can upgrade the new people booking.

It's what they do with obstructed balcony. You get sold that but then upgraded to a forward level 4 balcony, leaving obstructed still showing as available.