Seward help!

purplemusik

We are booked on NCL in June and we will disembark in Seward. We have the Seavey's tour planned that day and it says it will drop us off at the train station at about 5:30pm after the tour. So here are my quetions:

1) Will the cruise line drop our luggage off at the train station to be held for our later train ride ( Seavey's said each cruise line is different )

2) How long is the train to Anchorage? We aren't sure what time we should book our plane.

3) Do we book the train through the cruise line or seperate?

4) What transportation do we need from the train to the airport?

We are booked on NCL in June and we will disembark in Seward. We have the Seavey's tour planned that day and it says it will drop us off at the train station at about 5:30pm after the tour. So here are my quetions:

1) Will the cruise line drop our luggage off at the train station to be held for our later train ride ( Seavey's said each cruise line is different )

2) How long is the train to Anchorage? We aren't sure what time we should book our plane.

3) Do we book the train through the cruise line or seperate?

4) What transportation do we need from the train to the airport?

1. if you have reservations for the train, you can leave your luggage at the depot for the day. Look at FAQ's on the railroad site. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

2. the train schedule is also on that site; around 6pm-10pm. There IS a cruise contracted train but I believe it leaves at 7am and is quite a bit more expensive.

3. if you want to take the morning train, check with your cruiseline. If you want the evening train, you can make your own reservation via the web site.

4. I (think) the morning train drops off at the airport. The evening train drops you off downtown you will need a cab to the airport

I've never taken the train .... this is just info I've gleaned from the railroad web site and from numerous trip reports. Hope it helps.

Edited by mapleleaves

you book the AKRR separately. it leaves at 6:00 but they want you on board around 5:30. you'll arrive in Anchorage around 10:15pm. Our flight left at 12:55 and we made it with an ok margin. once the train arrives in Anchorage, the best way to get to the airport is a taxi. there are shuttles but they go to hotels and the airport so it's not a direct route. the taxi cost $20 plus tip so quite reasonable, especially if you can split it with another couple. Most everyone will tell you the Goldstar Class is worth paying double for - so I did but I'm not sure it was worth all that extra money.

you book the AKRR separately. it leaves at 6:00 but they want you on board around 5:30. you'll arrive in Anchorage around 10:15pm. Our flight left at 12:55 and we made it with an ok margin. once the train arrives in Anchorage, the best way to get to the airport is a taxi. there are shuttles but they go to hotels and the airport so it's not a direct route. the taxi cost $20 plus tip so quite reasonable, especially if you can split it with another couple. Most everyone will tell you the Goldstar Class is worth paying double for - so I did but I'm not sure it was worth all that extra money.

Thanks so much! So there really isn't a reason I should wait to book it. No cheaper fairs or different times/etc. It is what it is with price and I can book whenever, right?

I don't think you can book 2015 trips until Oct/Nov.

In the past there have been deals offered on the AKRR web site itself.

And sometimes the Alaska Toursaver or Northern Lights Coupon Books have discounts or BOGO for the train. Both coupon books will become available around mid to late November .... all the offerings will be posted on their web sites so you can look thru for the train.