Air France Prem Ecomony vs. Economy Air Tahiti Nu

jilly08

Need some opinions:

Flying from LAX to Tahiti, would you upgrade to Air France Premium Economy or is regular economy on Air Tahiti Nu ok if you pad the seat. I'm not overly tall (5.5) and about average weight.

I have read so many reviews about how awful ATN is.. sort of concerned.

For those of you that have traveled ATN since they redid the cabins, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Also, I plan on taking the red-eye and trying to sleep. I have a great travel pillow.

Thanks a million.

Jill

Need some opinions:

Flying from LAX to Tahiti, would you upgrade to Air France Premium Economy or is regular economy on Air Tahiti Nu ok if you pad the seat. I'm not overly tall (5.5) and about average weight.

I have read so many reviews about how awful ATN is.. sort of concerned.

For those of you that have traveled ATN since they redid the cabins, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Also, I plan on taking the red-eye and trying to sleep. I have a great travel pillow.

Thanks a million.

Jill

We flew the new ATN regular seats and this is my take: it's a long flight one way or another. The seats are firm but recline. If you can usually sleep on a plane I would stay with the regular seat (book your seat away from the Lav's- lineups) If price is no option and you are uncomfortable flying & have trouble sleeping, then upgrade. The upgrade is costly, I preferred saving $$ and spending it on an OWB, excursions, meals etc...

Tell me about your travel pillow Jill. I need to get one. Thanks.

BridgeMates: I got this one in case you can't lean against a window...

http://www.amazon.com/TravelRest-Ultimate-Inflatable-Travel-REINVENTED/dp/B001DYDAEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343065885&sr=8-1&keywords=travelrest

And I am looking at this seat cushion--haven't purchased yet

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-Travel-Cushion-Nautical-Blue/dp/B00HANW9FY

I like both of these because they deflate and fold easily into your carry-on.

Jill

Edited by jilly08

Thank you Canuck! I think I will book the ATN.

I survived 2 USAir coach flights from Philly to Rome without a lot of discomfort.

The secret was good drugs. LOL

:D

And you are right, that money will go a long way in helping with other costs.

Jill

• 2 months later...
BridgeMates: I got this one in case you can't lean against a window...

http://www.amazon.com/TravelRest-Ultimate-Inflatable-Travel-REINVENTED/dp/B001DYDAEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343065885&sr=8-1&keywords=travelrest

And I am looking at this seat cushion--haven't purchased yet

http://www.amazon.com/Therm-A-Rest-Travel-Cushion-Nautical-Blue/dp/B00HANW9FY

I like both of these because they deflate and fold easily into your carry-on.

Jill

I ordered and just received the TravelRest pillow. Hoping it will help on the flight, otherwise we're going to be really tired after the red-eye flight. Tried it on a short 1-hour flight during Thanksgiving and it seems comfortable, but hard to judge based one just that short time during the day. (I know other folks on the plane probably thought I was crazy [emoji2] .

I ordered and just received the TravelRest pillow. Hoping it will help on the flight, otherwise we're going to be really tired after the red-eye flight. Tried it on a short 1-hour flight during Thanksgiving and it seems comfortable, but hard to judge based one just that short time during the day. (I know other folks on the plane probably thought I was crazy [emoji2] .

I got the Travel Rest seat cushion---I am going to try it on my flight to Phoenix in January... That's will be a semi long flight for me.

I got the Travel Rest seat cushion---I am going to try it on my flight to Phoenix in January... That's will be a semi long flight for me.

Please let me know what you think. For the long-haul flights, it might be worth getting since the seat cushions on the planes seem to be getting thinner.

Please let me know what you think. For the long-haul flights, it might be worth getting since the seat cushions on the planes seem to be getting thinner.

I will do that! I'm still considering the travel pillow. Great reviews on Amazon.

Jill

We just got back from the Pacific Princess 11-18-2014 cruise and flew ATN both ways. The coach seats are no worse than any other airline in my opinion. They actually have pretty good lumbar support which surprised me and they recline further than any US airline I've been on. Once seated, I had plenty of leg room (knees to the back of the seat in front) and could have crossed my legs with a bit of effort. I recommend you put all your luggage above to leave as much room as you can for your feet. The only problem is that my focal length is about an arms distance so the TV screen was a bit close and when the person in front reclined, I had to recline in order to continue watching TV. I had a window seat so getting out was tight (hubby was next to me so we got out at the same time on the 2 seat sides). Note that at row 15, you do NOT have a window - there is one at 14 and another at 16 so if that is important, don't take that row. On the way back we were in 26 and that was fine - close enough to the bathrooms (behind us) with a window. Service was quite good and the food was OK (beef stew was a bit chewy to my taste). I will say that the fasten seat belt sign came on repeatedly in both directions so I suspect it's kind of a bumpy route normally. The new TV's have a USB port so you can charge your devices. Also note that they board from the back to the front by row number. In Papeete, 3/4's of the people lined up expected to board but all they did was block the access for everyone being called to board (arriving and leaving Papeete requires climbing stairs to get on/off the plane - no jetway. The airport in Papeete is open and unairconditioned so can be warm/muggy. The baggage area upon arrival is very utilitarian but the waiting area to fly back is nicer.

Doug

We just got back from the Pacific Princess 11-18-2014 cruise and flew ATN both ways. The coach seats are no worse than any other airline in my opinion. They actually have pretty good lumbar support which surprised me and they recline further than any US airline I've been on. Once seated, I had plenty of leg room (knees to the back of the seat in front) and could have crossed my legs with a bit of effort. I recommend you put all your luggage above to leave as much room as you can for your feet. The only problem is that my focal length is about an arms distance so the TV screen was a bit close and when the person in front reclined, I had to recline in order to continue watching TV. I had a window seat so getting out was tight (hubby was next to me so we got out at the same time on the 2 seat sides). Note that at row 15, you do NOT have a window - there is one at 14 and another at 16 so if that is important, don't take that row. On the way back we were in 26 and that was fine - close enough to the bathrooms (behind us) with a window. Service was quite good and the food was OK (beef stew was a bit chewy to my taste). I will say that the fasten seat belt sign came on repeatedly in both directions so I suspect it's kind of a bumpy route normally. The new TV's have a USB port so you can charge your devices. Also note that they board from the back to the front by row number. In Papeete, 3/4's of the people lined up expected to board but all they did was block the access for everyone being called to board (arriving and leaving Papeete requires climbing stairs to get on/off the plane - no jetway. The airport in Papeete is open and unairconditioned so can be warm/muggy. The baggage area upon arrival is very utilitarian but the waiting area to fly back is nicer.

Doug

Doug,

Thank you for that review of ATN and the airport. There is little information out there. Have you written a review of your trip? I would be interested in getting your opinion of the islands..

Jill

Doug

Thanks for the info on the flight and airport.

I've started a review but haven't finished it yet - real life gets in the way! I don't even have the pictures from the phone or camera on the PC yet - the hard drive crashed the day after we returned so I'm still recovering my PC. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

Doug

I've started a review but haven't finished it yet - real life gets in the way! I don't even have the pictures from the phone or camera on the PC yet - the hard drive crashed the day after we returned so I'm still recovering my PC. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

Doug

Thanks for the update Doug. No worries---looking forward to reading about your experience.

Jill