WWYD in this post cruise situation?

-Disembarking at Port Canaveral

-Flying out of Melbourne at 8 pm.

-Will be four of us including 5 & 6 yr olds

So, we'll have the whole day. I know we can get a day rate at a hotel but not so keen on just hanging by a pool for the day.

If we go to Kennedy Space Center, or anywhere for that matter, what do we do with our luggage? Pay for a hotel room just to hold luggage?

Considering renting a car; is there a place to do this at the port? (Don't really want to do this but wondering if it's the best option).

There are a couple of post cruise excursions through RCCL that I assume would hold our luggage but they transfer at the end to Orlando, so that won't work.

We changed our flights for a $600 savings knowing we'd spend some of that, hopefully doing something fun and not TOO expensive to extend the vacation a little bit. However, I'm obviously clueless now at what to do!

Hoping for some advice. THanks!

Kennedy Space Center is the BEST!! Can you get a bus tour going there (through the cruise ship or Greyline)? That way you can leave your luggage locked in the luggage area under the bus. We loved the Space Center.

But since you'll still need to get to Melbourne and I don't think any post-cruise excursion will drop you THERE (and even if one did you would still have a longer wait than you would want with kids), you would be best off just renting a car and leaving your luggage locked in the trunk while you go to KSC or wherever you want. Budget Rent a Car seems to be the best at Port Canaveral.

I have the same situation only we fly out at 5PM. That is unless Delta changes our flight times yet again. :rolleyes: So far I haven't given much thought about what to do with the extra time. I suppose we'll probably rent a car for the day. I know there are several that have offices fairly near to the port.

Beth

Here's what I would do, only because I don't know what else you could do...

Rent a car and drive to Cocoa Beach to a place called Coconuts. They have a website. It's a restaurant and it is right on the beach. You have to find a place to park on the street. But after that, you can go to Coconut and eat and then, walk right out onto the beach and spend your day there. There are other beaches all along A1A but I'm not sure if all of them are opened yet or not due to last year's hurricane. I was down there in April visiting a friend and one day, the beach that I always go to was being dredged and so, we had to find another entrance. This may all be over by now. I'm not sure.

There are other places where you could stop for some "to go" food on the way to the airport. I'll list the ones I know and like that are right on A1A:

Pizza - Bizarros

BBQ - Slow and Low

Publix Grocery Store - premade sushi in the seafood dept.

Coconuts - ok, so I like Coconuts!

There are also restaurants at the Port -- Grills is one and the other is Rusty's. Grills has breakfast, lunch and dinner. Rusty's is a crapshoot. Used to be consistently good for seafood, especially steamed oysters. You can get cheap space shuttle t-shirts there, though. Which reminds me...you can turn up into the residential areas off of A1A, oceanside, and find a place to park your car and go to the beach for the day.

Hope this helps. I just don't know what else you can do with all that luggage for the day...

Cars can be rented at the port for about $30 for the day. Check out http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/ We are planning on going here before our cruise, but it is nearby and could certainly be a good after the cruise thing to do...It is an airboat ride to see the alligators etc. Not too expensive, and you can fish there if you are interested. In cocoa beach there is the original Ron Jon shop, and you can rent surfboards if you are into that. There is a trolley that runs between the port and cocoa beach that is only $1.00. Maybe there are lockers at the port?

http://www.cocoabeach.com/attractions.html

http://goflorida.about.com/cs/floridabeaches/a/beach_cocoa.htm

Thanks so much for the replies. I think we'll rent a car after all. After reading here I realize it makes the most sense, should be easy enough, and we can control our own destiny so to speak :) I'm thinkin KSC in the morning, maybe the airboat, then either Coconuts or Ron Jon, and we can drop the car at the airport.

Thanks again! Happy sailing!

Check and see if the airline you are traveling on has an earlier flight. Then call when you get into port and see if they have any seats still available on the earlier flight. If they do you can most likely go to the airport and travel stand by on the earlier flight. Most airlines do not charge you to change to stand by on the day of your flight. The one exception I definately know about is Southwest, so be sure and check if your airline charges or not. We did this with a 6:00 flight from Orlando, we were able to change it to 11:30 with no charge, this was on American Airlines.

Barbee, that's a great idea. But then we have (more!) luggage issues since we're two hours from Atlanta (on a good day). Oh, the days of pre-kid carry ons! LOL. Wouldn't change it ;)

ANYWAY, in today's paper Delta announced a non-stop to Orlando starting in October! So I ponied up the change fee, etc and changed our flights. It's worth the $$ not to have the drive. And, the flight home is at a perfect time.

Thanks again everyone.

Don't you all want to come over here and visit Mickey and friends?

BobK/Orlando

PS-Unless you and the kids are really into space and rockets, KSC is boring! (My opinion, of course)

Don't worry Bob---I love Mickey and we will be driving up as soon as we get off the ship and the granddaughters are excited. Then we will fly home from Orlando. I personally cannot fathom being in Florida and not stopping by the castle! That would seem rude, wouldn't cha think??

PS I agree with the KSC comment.

Archived