Labadee - What to wear

premier cruiser

One note about shoes; I had my Merrel sandals which have leather inside, and it was not good because the sand on Labadee is very soft and powdery. I had sand all over my feet. I should have worn plastic slippers/flipflops that can be showered clean. Or proper sneakers.

I did not think about shoes when leaving Oasis as we did not plan on swimming in the water, we were just walking around to admire the island and to do some shopping. It was our first time in Labadee and I sort of thought there would be pavements to walk on, but the streets are of sand. I would have liked to know beforehand!

Just my experience.

One note about shoes; I had my Merrel sandals which have leather inside, and it was not good because the sand on Labadee is very soft and powdery. I had sand all over my feet. I should have worn plastic slippers/flipflops that can be showered clean. Or proper sneakers.

I did not think about shoes when leaving Oasis as we did not plan on swimming in the water, we were just walking around to admire the island and to do some shopping. It was our first time in Labadee and I sort of thought there would be pavements to walk on, but the streets are of sand. I would have liked to know beforehand!

Just my experience.

That's a good point, actually.

Although there are some paved roads/walks.. the vast majority of Labadee is just sand, sand, and more sand, with the occasional rocks. However, even the paved and rock parts are all sandy too. I always wear footwear that I don't mind rinsing off.

Well, but the reality is many people pass right by them because they are so aggressive. DH and I for example have said many times we would gladly stop and probably buy something if they weren't all yelling at us. I can feel sorry for them, but they need to learn they would do better if they weren't so aggressive. I don't need to be looking at one stall, only to have 5 other vendors yelling at us to look at theirs. I would gladly roam around and buy a few things if they would back off.

It is very sad seeing them begging for someone to buy just something from them. Maybe if I was in their situation, desperate to feed or clothed my family, I might be aggressive too. Maybe try nicely telling them to back off that you just want to look and if they keep pestering you, you will walk away and not buy anything from anyone.

It is very sad seeing them begging for someone to buy just something from them. Maybe if I was in their situation, desperate to feed or clothed my family, I might be aggressive too. Maybe try nicely telling them to back off that you just want to look and if they keep pestering you, you will walk away and not buy anything from anyone.

Yes, as I said, it's sad, but they are harrassing what could be their customers. Never a good idea. You can be desperate to feed your family but learn about your customers. I won't be telling them anything because we avoid them now. We tip very generously to those that help us on the island. The fact that any of them are there working is a great benefit and employment they need. That doesn't give them the right to yell and bother everyone.