Is the Epic a rocky ship

luv2gonow

Hi,

I've never cruised NCL and I know Epic is large and tall.

I usually stay toward Aft deck 8 ish.

I am booking 2 rooms and I have to go to deck 12 to get across the hall. (balcony and inside)

Will I notice a big difference?

If I put my daughter who is concerned on deck 10 midship.....will there be a big difference between that and my deck 12 toward aft cabin.

Would rather have us across the hall....but I will separate if you experts think it will be a big difference:D

Thanks

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

I have read the complaints regarding the Epic and excess movement, however, we found there to be absolutely no difference between this ship and the other cruises we have taken (25+). We were in the Haven, so we were quite high up, and didn't notice any additional movement. That's not to say it doesn't exist. The roughness of the seas, the time of year, etc can all make a big difference from week to week.

In regards to your daughter being on a different deck, you don't give her age so that will be a consideration. If she is basically grown, then she might do better on a lower deck, midship.

I have read the complaints regarding the Epic and excess movement, however, we found there to be absolutely no difference between this ship and the other cruises we have taken (25+). We were in the Haven, so we were quite high up, and didn't notice any additional movement. That's not to say it doesn't exist. The roughness of the seas, the time of year, etc can all make a big difference from week to week.

In regards to your daughter being on a different deck, you don't give her age so that will be a consideration. If she is basically grown, then she might do better on a lower deck, midship.

Thanks she is 13 but will be in room with her dad and I will be with my mom:D

Modern world LOL

DH and I were on deck 14 and I didn't notice any more movement on the Epic than any other ship. No excess movement. :D

Good to hear

Thanks

Kerri

Last November it was moderately rocky. There were times when I definitely couldn't walk straight even with much effort. I'm not a drinker either. ;) Usually, when I book a stateroom, I book mid-ship minisuite. Last time we stayed in the Haven so we were forward. I don't know if that had anything to do with the movement at night. I was better walking around (although that got tiresome) but the rocking literally woke me up out of my sleep a few times and made me feel ill. I took the dramamine I always pack. I have never felt the least bit seasick before, but on this cruise, I was very close. I was so thankful when we finally made it to St. Maarten. When we went to the meet n greet, the crew said the rocking was not typical - that the seas were abnormally rough. A few people who had sailed Epic before agreed.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I was on the Epic 12/12. Mini-suite on the 12th (or 13th? - right under the buffet). It was very rocky for that trip. They even had to drain the pool a couple of times because the water was all spilling out. They said it was just rough seas, but a lot of people thought it was because the ship was so "tall and square". I don't know, but it was the only cruise where I have even been a little seasick, although it really only lasted about 12 hours. I asked one of the engineers on a later Pearl cruise about the rocking on the Epic, and he said it must have been the seas, as the ship does not have any more movement than any other ship. Who knows??

I was on the Epic 12/12. Mini-suite on the 12th (or 13th? - right under the buffet). It was very rocky for that trip. They even had to drain the pool a couple of times because the water was all spilling out. They said it was just rough seas, but a lot of people thought it was because the ship was so "tall and square". I don't know, but it was the only cruise where I have even been a little seasick, although it really only lasted about 12 hours. I asked one of the engineers on a later Pearl cruise about the rocking on the Epic, and he said it must have been the seas, as the ship does not have any more movement than any other ship. Who knows??

I forgot about the pool draining. We had that issue too. I really didn't realize how much the ship was listing from one side to the other until I saw the pool onboard. It didn't last just 12 hours for us though. It was the entire cruise except when we were at port. I was like funnysmiley20.gif the entire time.

Yes it is a more then normal rocky ship. We were in a mini suite and awoke to the shower door slamming open and closed. When I stood in the middle of the room I could not see the horizon. It was not all the time. We had a great cruise and I do suffer from seasickness at times.

I did not have it any worse on this ship then others but it is a little rocky.

We were in the Haven on the Epic and we found the side-to-side (port-to-starboard) swaying movement to be greater than the other ships we've been on. Perhaps it's because we were up high on deck 16, I don't know. But we found the side-to-side motion to be exaggerated regardless of where we were on the ship.

We though the up and down (forward-to-aft) motion was the same as any other ship, however.

EDIT. To be clear - I normally don't take much notice of the movement of the ship, unless it bothers me. But even I noticed the side-to-side movement. And there were times when I felt a little queasy because of it. And it takes a more than a bit to make me queasy.

Edited by rajones007

We were on the Epic in a forward balcony on deck 11 in January 2013 and felt no rocking at all, with the exception of a couple hours one night when we were in the buffet. Otherwise, we had a very smooth sailing. I'd guess it all depends on weather and seas, but fingers are crossed we have smooth sailing next January!

It's simply a matter of physics. The higher you are, and the further you are from midships, the greater the rocking sensation will be. There will be much less rocking in a midships lower deck than the higher decks at the bow and stern. One of the big drawbacks to the huge ships in my opinion. They look so top heavy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Full disclosure, I get motion sickness, so I think I'm more sensitive than most towards motion.

I was on the November 16th cruise last year and felt the motion of the ship, no matter what deck I was on. Our Cabin was forward on Deck 16, so that was definitely part of the issue. When we were on the lower decks, I could still feel the motion of the ship. I was definitely queasy the first few sea days, but got used to it as the cruise went on.

While I was always "aware" the ship was moving, it didn't stop my from enjoying the cruise. Since I do tend to get motion sickness, I start taking Bonine a few days before our cruises and take every day while on the ship. I think that helped me a lot on this cruise.

I might be a glutton for punishment, as we're sailing on the Getaway in October.

I wouldn't get too concerned. If you think it might be an issue, bring Meds, Sea-Bands, Ginger Pills etc. along so they can help. Pick the Cabin that works best for you and your family. If you don't mind being on two different decks, go for it.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would be the first one to say if motion was an issue on the Epic. It really is not.

You will however notice vibration. The first day or two you will notice the vibration but after that I didn't even notice that.

Speaking of motion though, I was on the NCL Dream many years ago for New Years. This was back when maybe it was called the Dreamword even. Like maybe 20 years ago. The motion was unbelievable even thought there was no storm or crazy high seas. I was in the main theatre area waiting for the special New Years Eve event show to start. Everyone was dressed in very nice cocktail type clothes. The motion was so bad that one older'ish (maybe 65) woman sitting next to us fell out of her chair, her legs went flying, her dress flew up and there she is in a heap on the floor from falling out of her chair over the motion. Several evenings during the cruise the dancers refused to perform because of the motion. After that, I noticed lots of reviews about the terrible motion on the Dream.

I would tell you if you needed to be concerned about the general motion of the Epic. You don't!!