17yrs old 3 days to 18th birthday can she go to adults only area on breakaway?

star65

if she is old enough to be able to join the forces and fight for this country, she is old enough to go to a club.

You DO realize there are posters from all over the world here, right?

Not sure which country you're referring to.

We our considering our first NCL cruise on the breakaway in 2015. My daughter will turn 18, 4 days in to this cruise. I understand that she can't gamble until 18, but would they let her in dance club, adults only pool area, etc...before her birthday? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks

If you understand she can't gamble until 18 what's not to understand that anyone under 18 can't get in the dance club or adults only area?

I know you say it's 'only 4 days' but then someone else will say it's 'only 5 days', etc. What if they allowed everyone's child a few days under 18 into adult areas....it wouldn't be adult anymore, now would it - not to consider the extra amount of 'people' that would be in the adult areas.

I have not experienced this as you asked. However, as a mother of three grown children the biggest lesson we can give our children is 'what's right and what's wrong'. It's wrong to break the rules. Period. Even though this rule is so minor.....what's to teach her when another rule arises she wants to break?

Another lesson we can teach our children is that they are no better than anyone else. That we are all the same. What would give my child the right that others don't have. What makes them any better?

I'm more than sure she'll enjoy that cruise following the rules.....Besides, do you really want your 17 - almost 18 year old daughter in a dance club with 'older men'?

Just a few thoughts from a mother of 3 grown children............

Harriet

if she is old enough to be able to join the forces and fight for this country, she is old enough to go to a club.

I'm not sure where you're from but here in the US the drinking age is 21. Men and women can join the forces and fight for our country, come home, but still can't have a beer or a drink until they are 21.

Yep, those are the rules!

Harriet

If you understand she can't gamble until 18 what's not to understand that anyone under 18 can't get in the dance club or adults only area?

I know you say it's 'only 4 days' but then someone else will say it's 'only 5 days', etc. What if they allowed everyone's child a few days under 18 into adult areas....it wouldn't be adult anymore, now would it - not to consider the extra amount of 'people' that would be in the adult areas.

I have not experienced this as you asked. However, as a mother of three grown children the biggest lesson we can give our children is 'what's right and what's wrong'. It's wrong to break the rules. Period. Even though this rule is so minor.....what's to teach her when another rule arises she wants to break?

Another lesson we can teach our children is that they are no better than anyone else. That we are all the same. What would give my child the right that others don't have. What makes them any better?

I'm more than sure she'll enjoy that cruise following the rules.....Besides, do you really want your 17 - almost 18 year old daughter in a dance club with 'older men'?

Just a few thoughts from a mother of 3 grown children............

Harriet

My father used to tell us we were no better than anyone else....but he also added that "no one was better than us either" . Which meant we were just as good , and had every chance at something anyone else could have.

I am the father of 4 grown children thankfully all gainfully employed and doing well. 2 of them in the corporate world. They learned pretty fast if you sit with your hands folded, say thank you and please and sit there quietly because someone told you too, you end up with a pat on the back and a "better luck next time "

You don't have to be JR Ewing and crush the competition to get ahead. But sometimes to have to step outside the box, buck tradition, and play by your own rules in life .

Its a delicate balance , and one you have to teach carefully when your kids are just starting out.

The fact that the person in question hasn't met the aqe requirements to gain access to the club shouldn't matter. Unless, of course, something happens (heaven forbid) to the person in question. Then you can go ahead and sue NCL for allowing and UNDERAGE CHILD into the club in the first place! Cruise paid for! VOILA!

I learned a long time ago that CruiseCritic is simply a place to ask advice, which you have no intention of following, unless the advice matches what you intend on doing anyway.

I know you say it's 'only 4 days' but then someone else will say it's 'only 5 days', etc. What if they allowed everyone's child a few days under 18 into adult areas....it wouldn't be adult anymore, now would it

I'm curious what magically happens to someone in that 4 or 5 days that suddenly makes them different and changes them into an adult?

No one in the adults only area is going to have the slightest clue whether someone is 17 years and 360 days or 18 years and 1 day.

I'm curious what magically happens to someone in that 4 or 5 days that suddenly makes them different and changes them into an adult?

No one in the adults only area is going to have the slightest clue whether someone is 17 years and 360 days or 18 years and 1 day.

The same thing that magically happens to someone 4 or 5 days short of the drinking age. The same thing that magically happens to someone 4 or 5 days short of the driving age.

Harriet

Not only can people be mean on a anonymous chat board but they also become the most moral, ethical people while in real life ...

OP have a great cruise and bring your daughter into all the places mentioned. Should be no issue but if asked just tell the truth.

Thank you I appreciate it. I am flabbergasted about how sanctimonious some of these responses are. I never asked for parenting advice nor would I ever accept it from strangers on a forum, that is just too funny.

This will be my last response, we will have a fantastic cruise, I will bring my daughter into the adult comedy show, dance club (with the rest of us so that she isn't around older men...) and adult pool area with no qualms what so ever. Bottom line I know what is appropriate for my child no one else does. I am very confident that I have taught my child right from wrong and in the scheme of things this issue is completely inconsequential.

For those of you who have answered with your opinion in a non-confrontational manner, whether I agree with it or not I appreciate it, the other responses are just not worth my time.

The same thing that magically happens to someone 4 or 5 days short of the drinking age. The same thing that magically happens to someone 4 or 5 days short of the driving age.

Harriet

Ok, so nothing then. It's an arbitrary line that works for most people and most people accept and agree to not cross that line. However to say that someone 4 or 5 days short of 18 years somehow changes an adult area into a non-adult area makes no sense.

I'm wondering if laws used to be rules....

but they had to change them to laws because fines and jail seems to work.

Harriet

Good thing they have a brig on the ship then. :rolleyes:

So we all break a rule every now and then so breaking other rules is then okay? Hmmmm. Don't think so. I think that rules should be followed, even though I have broken my share of rules (and laws for that matter:o) in my life time. As I've matured I find myself less likely to intentionally break the rules because I realize that the rules exist for everyone's protection, even if some are inconvenienced by them.

Rules exist for the protection of those that make the rules, not for everyone's protection.

I am going to throw in a sporting analogy here (not cricket 'cos most posters are from 'over the pond' and do not 'get' cricket:D)

If the baseball batter is run out when they are 1 inch short of first base they are out - not 'nearly out' (if I understand baseball correctly).

There is a rule; a standard; a baseline; a cut-off point - call it what you like. Whether that line is drawn at the correct place is not the point - it is there - by sailing on NCL's ships you agree to abide by their rules (whether you agree or not).

I do not agree (or do not like) with some of NCL's rules - I abide by them though.

Surely OP's daughter could get the best of both worlds - teens club for a few days - adult stuff for a few more?

For all you people so up tight about the rules and enforcing them to a tee. I said it earlier in the thread and I'll say it again:

So in a 25 MPH zone you NEVER go over 25? You NEVER go into the "under 15 items" line at the grocery store with 16 items? Some rules are just a guideline others are there to be strictly enforced. Depends on the situation and rule. I don't think it's a big deal for someone to go into an adults only area FOUR days before they "become an adult."

Thank you I appreciate it. I am flabbergasted about how sanctimonious some of these responses are. I never asked for parenting advice nor would I ever accept it from strangers on a forum, that is just too funny.

This will be my last response, we will have a fantastic cruise, I will bring my daughter into the adult comedy show, dance club (with the rest of us so that she isn't around older men...) and adult pool area with no qualms what so ever. Bottom line I know what is appropriate for my child no one else does. I am very confident that I have taught my child right from wrong and in the scheme of things this issue is completely inconsequential.

For those of you who have answered with your opinion in a non-confrontational manner, whether I agree with it or not I appreciate it, the other responses are just not worth my time.

You go girl! Now go out there and enjoy yourself..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='star65']Thank you I appreciate it. I am flabbergasted about how sanctimonious some of these responses are. I never asked for parenting advice nor would I ever accept it from strangers on a forum, that is just too funny.

For those of you who have answered with your opinion in a non-confrontational manner, whether I agree with it or not I appreciate it, the other responses are just not worth my time.[/QUOTE]

You, your daughter and your family have a GREAT time. And don't sweat the little stuff. ;)

[quote name='star65']Thank you I appreciate it. I am flabbergasted about how sanctimonious some of these responses are. I never asked for parenting advice nor would I ever accept it from strangers on a forum, that is just too funny.

For those of you who have answered with your opinion in a non-confrontational manner, whether I agree with it or not I appreciate it, the other responses are just not worth my time.[/QUOTE] Perfectly said... You are a GREAT MOM and that clearly shows through your children!!! :D

I understand your frustration. Keep in mind you did ask if we think they will "let" her in. The only way to know that is to ask them. Juxtaposing your OP against your last response, it appears that you were looking for confirmation of something you already intended to do. You don't need our confirmation (as you've already determined) to make a decision regarding this.

I do hope you have a great cruise. At the end of the day, it really don't matter what WE think. Edited by cruisecritiquer