Seattle Embarkation? Pros and Cons

MOcruiserman

My wife and I are thinking of a cruise to Alaska in July or August 2015. I was thinking of taking a Holland America ship embarking from Vancouver but I wonder if I should consider leaving from Seattle.

Airfare - we'd save about $175 apiece.

Ship selection - a far greater choice of round trip cruises (we're only interested in RT). For instance, many ships we're interested in leave from Seattle - the RC Jewel of the Sea, Celebrity Solstice, HAL Westerdam, NCL Jewel, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, NCL Pearl. From Vancouver we're limited to the HAL Volendam, HAL Noordam and the Celebrity Infinity. The Jewel of the Sea, Solstice and Ruby Princess receive outstanding reviews - better than the Volendam, Noordam and Infinity. Also, our only other cruise was on HAL and we'd like to see what the other cruise lines have to offer.

Seattle Attractions - We've heard a lot about the Pike Place Market and would like to see it. I don't know anything about Vancouver.

But, on the other hand, I've read that leaving from Seattle means we'd have to travel west of Vancouver Island, which means rougher seas and no scenery for the first portion of the trip.

Any recommendations?

I have only cruised out of Seattle so can only address the questions about that part. Yes, cruising west of Vancouver Island was a bit rough the first day (this was late Aug.) and I was a bit seasick. However returning going the same way it was smooth as glass and no seasickness.

Since we decided on The Pearl we stayed right across the street at the Marriott Waterfront which allowed us to just walk across the street to embark. The Jewell docks right there too at the Bell Street pier so it would be the same situation.

We were able to walk to the aquarium and also to Pike Market. There is an elevator right by the hotel that you take up to street level and then some flights of stairs to get to Pike Market.

If there are any other questions specific to Seattle I would be glad to answer them if I can.

My wife and I are thinking of a cruise to Alaska in July or August 2015. I was thinking of taking a Holland America ship embarking from Vancouver but I wonder if I should consider leaving from Seattle.

Airfare - we'd save about $175 apiece.

Ship selection - a far greater choice of round trip cruises (we're only interested in RT). For instance, many ships we're interested in leave from Seattle - the RC Jewel of the Sea, Celebrity Solstice, HAL Westerdam, NCL Jewel, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, NCL Pearl. From Vancouver we're limited to the HAL Volendam, HAL Noordam and the Celebrity Infinity. The Jewel of the Sea, Solstice and Ruby Princess receive outstanding reviews - better than the Volendam, Noordam and Infinity. Also, our only other cruise was on HAL and we'd like to see what the other cruise lines have to offer.

Seattle Attractions - We've heard a lot about the Pike Place Market and would like to see it. I don't know anything about Vancouver.

But, on the other hand, I've read that leaving from Seattle means we'd have to travel west of Vancouver Island, which means rougher seas and no scenery for the first portion of the trip.

Any recommendations?

Vancouver is a spectacular city, one of the world's most beautiful. Surrounded by water and mountains, it has marvelous natural areas within a short driving distance, great ethnic neighbo(u)rhoods, great food, markets... there's so much going for the place.

But Seattle is the same - spectacular location, more water and mountains, many wonderful destinations for day trips, great and diverse neighborhoods, museums, activities for kids...

So the obvious answer is to do both. Fly to Seattle and spend a couple of days visiting our fair city and its surroundings, then travel to Vancouver (rental car, bus, train - all around 3-4 hours) and cruise from there, then on your return spend another couple of days in Vancouver before flying home - either from YVR or back south from SEA.

Or do it in reverse. You might find that flying into Vancouver and out of Seattle (an "open jaw" ticket) doesn't cost too much more than a round trip to/from Seattle. And the cruise routes from Vancouver are indeed superior to those from Seattle in terms of time on sheltered water, views, etc.

One thing to note in planning to use Seattle as a flying destination but Vancouver as a sailing destination is that it's often necessary to add an additional night's accommodation at either end, often both, due to the time needed to travel between the cities combined with airline schedules to anywhere east of the Rockies. Because of the time differential to Midwest and eastern cities, most eastbound flights from YVR or SEA to those areas depart in the early morning, and aren't available for disembarking cruise passengers.

So in evaluating your flights and costs, pay special attention to departure and arrival times, and take into account the 4-5 hour minimum travel time required between the Seattle airport and Vancouver, and v.v. You might find that airfare savings are erased by additional surface transport costs, or by additional hotel nights caused by the flight schedules.

I just came back from a Princess cruise sept. 6-13 on the inside passage from seattle to seattle. We had the best weather ever, never a bit of rain, the seas were calm just about all the time. We did go out going up to Juneau and the seas were not rough at all. Going out of the seattle port was very easy to board and disembark. For this time of the year the weather we had was exceptionally nice.

Seattle might be the cheaper and easier option but I'd choose Vancouver and an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay.

The Vanc sailings offer more scenery because the ship is between the mainland and Vancouver Island and there is less risk of rough seas since you're in a sheltered area.

Since you're travelling across the country, take advantage of being on the west coast and spend a couple of days in both cities. I LOVE Vancouver! Seattle has Pike Place Market but Vanc has Granville Island.

Fly into Seattle, overnight, spend the next day sightseeing then catch the evening Amtrak train to Vancouver. After the cruise, spend the day in Vancouver sightseeing, overnight, then catch the Quick Coach shuttle to Seatac. If you can add another day at each location, even better.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

My wife is adamant that she wants to have the smoothest sailing possible, which means Vancouver will be our embarkation port. Though I might take Gardyloo's advice and fly into Seattle.

Fly into Seattle, spend the night, catch the Amtrak the next morning for a beautiful trip along the Pacific coast, arrive in Vancouver in plenty of time to board your ship. Return trip is probably out of Seattle (right?), so it's a round trip ticket to Seattle. We did this a couple of years ago and it was great. The Inside Passage is the best way to go!

Cole

Fly into Seattle, spend the night, catch the Amtrak the next morning for a beautiful trip along the Pacific coast, arrive in Vancouver in plenty of time to board your ship. Return trip is probably out of Seattle (right?), so it's a round trip ticket to Seattle. We did this a couple of years ago and it was great. The Inside Passage is the best way to go!

Cole

If you wish to return via train you will only be able to catch the late PM train the day you disembark so that would mean another night in Seattle.

Buses could get you to a daytime flt out of Seattle.

But I agree the train is the nicest way to travel between the two cities.

We have done both. First cruise out of Vancouver to Whittier and next time, round trip out of Seattle. Both times we had Glacier Bay on our itinerary. Both times we flew into Seattle, and took the bus to Vancouver for the first crusie. . We spent 2 days in Vancouver, pre cruise, right before they hosted the Olympics. it was a mad house there, so many roads closed, construction all over the place, but a magnificent city. On our Seattle cruise, we flew in a week early, rented a car and toured Washington State and parts of Oregon. Seattle has so much more to offer outside the city. Take a day trip to Mt. Rainier National park. Simply amazing. Take another day and drive into the Cascades and you will see why people love the Pacific Northwest.

Cheers

Len

If you wish to return via train you will only be able to catch the late PM train the day you disembark so that would mean another night in Seattle.

Buses could get you to a daytime flt out of Seattle.

But I agree the train is the nicest way to travel between the two cities.

Some cruise itineraries embark from Vancouver and disembark at Seattle. That was our experience.

Cole

Some cruise itineraries embark from Vancouver and disembark at Seattle. That was our experience.

Cole

Usually only the very first and last of each Lines Season. Used to get around the Pass Service Vessel Act for ships that are going to Home Port in Seattle all summer or those going to Terminate in the USA on their next voyage after last AK run in the Fall.

Or visa versa.

Just off the Celebrity Solstice from Seattle for our Alaskan Cruise. Loved the cruise, it was amazing and we got great weather.

Seattle is a great place to visit, and we were able to do check some of the "tourist" areas, including Pike Place. Space Need, and EMP Museum are also great. The city is so clean, and friendly, we would go back just to hangout there for a few days!

Yes, leaving from Seattle will limit the ships you can travel on, and you will sail west of Vancouver island and not get into Glacier Bay. We wanted a big ship, Solstice is the largest in Alaska, so we decided on her. Also travel was much easier and cheaper, so considering the costs of the Alaskan cruise, we choose Seattle or Vancouver.

After going to Alaska once, we will definitely go back, and may try to do Glacier Bay. But, Seattle is a great port to leave from.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for your input. We booked a cruise on the Noordam, leaving from Vancouver. I'm glad we'll avoid going west of Vancouver Island and we'll see Glacier Bay. I'd like to visit Seattle but I'm also curious about Vancouver, where I've never been.

Maybe we'll embark from Seattle on our second Alaska cruise! :)

......Yes, leaving from Seattle will limit the ships you can travel on, and you will sail west of Vancouver island and not get into Glacier Bay.....

Sorry, that's not correct. There are plenty of Seattle-Seattle Alaska itineraries that include Glacier bay. We have done it twice.

Sailing on the ocean side of Vancouver Island can be calm or not; you really can't predict it. All cruises to the Inside Passage will have to cross some open ocean water between the north end of Vancouver Island, around Graham Island, then finally into the calm waters of the Alaskan Inside Passage.

We've done a round trip from Seattle and a NB from Vancouver. Actually the scenery on the first sea day from Seattle was beautiful, and fron Vancouver we saw very little. A lot depends on the weather and size of ship.

I would also recommend doing glacier bay, no matter which one you do.

I enjoyed both Seattle pre cruise and vancouver.

Our roundtrip from Seattle was amazing and we are so glad we did it as our first cruise. Now, that we know what to expect, we are thinking of doing a longer, one-way cruise and seeing Glacier Bay and other Alaskan sites.

If anyone is interested, we have started a detailed review of the entire trip, including Seattle, in the Celebrity Fourm. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106806

Have a great trip to Alaska.