Grotto Bay Beach Resort ( any good or bad things about it)

Jimbo

I haven't stayed there so I'll just help with the travel. Best way from Dockyard would be to take the ferry to Hamilton, then walk the 2 blocks to the bus terminal and grab any of the #1, #3, #10 or #11 bus (exception: once a day there is a #3 bus that'll say "Flatts Village". That'll only take you about half-way to Grotto Bay).

The resort itself looks nice, has its own caves you can wander around in, and its own beach.

I stayed there maybe about 10 years ago. It was nice and the food was great. The bech was so so and we felt it was far away from the sites. We rented a moped and toured the island that way. They did have a cave that you could go swimming in. It was also the closest to the airport.

Thanks everyone for the info, we aren't really interested in touring the island that much , we have been to Bermuda a few times before, we are just interested in the resort and maybe checking out the St. George area which I think is just a short bus ride away.

From what I understand there is a bus stop out front of the resort right?

Anyone been to Swizzle Inn to eat, if so does anyone have any recommendations of favorite food there not to miss?

The bus stops at the Swizzlw Inn and at Grotto Bay...The onion rings at the Swizzle Inn are great...but are only served at lunch and their burgers are good too..

We were on the Jewel in April...nice ship !!

Thanks Rich

I thought Swizzle Inn was within walking distance of Grotto Bay Resort? do we need to grab the bus for that too? Our ship arrives at Kings Wharf at 8am on Saturday, grab the ferry and a bus from Hamilton and we should be checked in at Grotto Bay by 10am hopefully, not sure if we will be having Lunch or Dinner that at Swizzle.

We are staying at the resort Saturday night and don't have to be back to the ship until 4pm Sunday.

I believe on Sunday Hamilton is just about shut down so really there is no need to see anything there, so we are just interested with the area around Grotto Bay and the Resort itself.

It should be fun, we figured if we did an cruiseline excursion each day we were in Bermuda it would cost just as much as getting a room, so we did it.

Just hope the ship doesn't pull off Saturday night without us for some unknown reason. LOL........Guess there could be alot worse places to be left huh?

We had thought about doing the same thing at Wyndham Bermuda Resort and Spa - Southampton Beach. Have you ever been to that resort or seen it, which do you think is nicer, the Wyndham or Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Are we picking the right place?

We are looking forward to the Jewel, we love the Radiance Class size ships.

Jimbo:)

Nice plan Jimbo!! No bus needed, Swizzle Inn is walkable from Grotto Bay resort. You are also correct, nothing much open in Hamilton on Sunday. Dockyard, at Kings Wharf, has the only shopping open on Sunday, we believe.

We were also on the Jewel of the Sea in April...beautiful ship!! And yes, there could worse things than being left behind in Bermuda!;)

Enjoy...it ALL!!! :)

Hey Jimbo

Great idea,spend the night in a hotel..a good way to see the island..The walk to the Swizzle Inn is about 1/5 Mi..thats an educated guess..Things you can do might be the glass blowing tour, devils hole, the Aquarium is a short bus ride from GB too. You can head back to St George and do the St Catherines & Tobacco Bay beach thing...There is a walking tour of St George that might be interesting...If any ships are moving in or out of St George while you are there, get to Gates Fort on the town cut and watch the ship go by, its amazing...

The Wyndam is the old Sonesta Beach Resort. After Fabian damaged the hotel it was redon and renamed.

Have a great time

We had thought about doing the same thing at Wyndham Bermuda Resort and Spa - Southampton Beach. Have you ever been to that resort or seen it, which do you think is nicer, the Wyndham or Grotto Bay Beach Resort? Are we picking the right place?

While I have stayed at neither the Wyndham has nicer beaches and amenities but is a large hotel, while Grotto Bay is smaller (and likely quieter). Bus connections are better at Grotto Bay as well, at most resorts on the South Shore your only option is the #7 bus, which is usually packed with tourists. From Grotto Bay you have four bus routes to Hamilton (#1, #3, #10, & #11) and good service to St. Georges as well. Downside to Grotto Bay would be that it is far from the "marquee" beaches like Horseshoe Bay but John Smith's Bay is a 10-minute bus ride on the #1 route and it's very nice.

You are correct in that very little is open in Hamilton or St. Georges on Sunday. The Caves and the Aquarium/Zoo will be open as well as the Swizzle Inn.

Having been going to Bermuda for many years we have stayed at the Grotto Bay and I am quite sure you will be pleased for your one night stay.I would have lunch at the Swizzle Inn and dinner at GB or if you want to splurge have dinner at the Fourways Inn.Enjoy your stay and trip to Bermuda.

Can't believe you mentioned FourWays Inn, we had thought about staying there too, they only have 10 or 11 rooms there, we heard it is very nice but they don't have a beach right at the Inn though, and we didn't want to waste time traveling back and forth from the beach. How far is FourWays from GB anyway?

Do you have any pictures posted anywhere of GB, rooms, grounds, beach, pool etc. ? How dressy is GB for Dinner, want to know what clothes to bring from the ship, Dressy Shorts, Long Pants ???? Which is best for Dinner, The Palm Court, The Hibiscus Room or the Bayside Bar & Grill ?

CriusFran, Swizzle and Rich , thanks for all the info!

Can't believe you mentioned FourWays Inn, we had thought about staying there too, they only have 10 or 11 rooms there, we heard it is very nice but they don't have a beach right at the Inn though, and we didn't want to waste time traveling back and forth from the beach. How far is FourWays from GB anyway?

Do you have any pictures posted anywhere of GB, rooms, grounds, beach, pool etc. ? How dressy is GB for Dinner, want to know what clothes to bring from the ship, Dressy Shorts, Long Pants ???? Which is best for Dinner, The Palm Court, The Hibiscus Room or the Bayside Bar & Grill ?

CriusFran, Swizzle and Rich , thanks for all the info!

FW is not that far from GB..easy cab ride if you go for dinner.

GB is not dressy,but dinner is a tad more dressy than say luncheon and the dining room is quite nice.I would check the menu's for each dining room to see what would please you.I would say the Palm Court is more formal.

I don't have any picture's,but here is a link that may help.Have a great time.

Grotto Bay Beach Resort

I've been going to Bermuda since 1977.......met my husband there and sadly have not been back in some time......he won't fly and has no desire to go back to Bermuda....can you imagine that ???????

My friends and I had a ritual where on the day we were leaving we would pack up and head out to the airport 2-4 hours early.........stopping at the Swizzle Inn for our last pitcher of swizzle and lunch. The only thing I've ever eaten there is the Baileys Bay fish sandwich. I order it every time. Once we had an earlier flight so I ordered it to go and they wrappped it up special for me to take on the plane.

Watch out for those Swizzles though ! they sneak up on you. The t-shirts they sell in the Swizzle Inn say it all...........Swizzle Inn...Swagger Out !!!!!

dondonma

Watch out for those Swizzles though ! they sneak up on you. The t-shirts they sell in the Swizzle Inn say it all...........Swizzle Inn...Swagger Out !!!!!

dondonma

Sounds good we will have to make sure we get aleast one of each.......:D

Archived