Passenger scanners when boarding

midcanada

Does anyone know if the scanners use X-Ray technology?

If so...that's a LOT of exposure with all the coming and going for excursions and shopping when visiting ports.

I am concerned.

The scanners are metal detectors and not x-ray.

You might be surprised to know that with the millions of passengers passing through these machines for the past 2 decades, the cruise lines thought about your concerns already.

Does anyone know if the scanners use X-Ray technology?

If so...that's a LOT of exposure with all the coming and going for excursions and shopping when visiting ports.

I am concerned.

Scanners/metal detectors are for persons/humans

X-ray technology is for luggage/property

There IS a difference

:confused: You're concerned about airport x-rays? You're getting 40 times the radiation on your flight than you received getting scanned before you boarded the plane. I hope you drive to/from the cruise ports. Then you'll only be subjected to 10 times the amount of that screening X-ray in natural background radiation.

http://www.radiationanswers.org/radiation-blog/Airport_xray_scanners.html

:confused: You're concerned about airport x-rays? You're getting 40 times the radiation on your flight than you received getting scanned before you boarded the plane. I hope you drive to/from the cruise ports. Then you'll only be subjected to 10 times the amount of that screening X-ray in natural background radiation.

http://www.radiationanswers.org/radiation-blog/Airport_xray_scanners.html

Color me dubious, but a site paid for by the NEI is always suspect. I am pretty sure all snake oil salesman tell you their products are safe.

Remember how "safe" the fluoroscope turned out to be in the local shoe store?

Remember how "safe" the pesticides were that helped make Monsanto?

Remember how "safe" plastics were touted to be?

Remember how "safe" Benzene was?

Make a new friend, take the pat down.

Edited by Viesczy

"Make a new friend, take the pat down. " I do this every time I fly.

I worked as a Medical Radiological Technologist for 40 years and have had far more than my share of exposure, especially skin exposure to soft radiation, which is the kind used in airport X Ray scanners.

At my workplace, all of the Radiologists (doctors) and the people who monitor the X Ray equipment for the Canadian Government advise against going through the X Ray scanners.

We all have different life experiences and adjust our behavior accordingly. I am merely trying to prevent further skin cancers for myself.

I am happy to hear that the Holland American scanners are the Metal Detector type.

How about a study by a "volunteer task force composed of medical physicists from the University of California, Los Angeles and the University of California, Davis who donated their time"? I can't see any claims of funding bias there.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130627151642.htm

The summary is: "A new report has found that people absorb less radiation from airport X-ray backscatter scanner than they do while standing in line waiting for the scan itself."

Among the findings is this statement: "full-body scanners deliver a radiation dose equivalent to what a standard man receives every 1.8 minutes on the ground, or every 12 seconds during an airplane flight"

Maybe the Canadian airports use different scanners?

Me? I'm not into being groped by strangers, but to each their own. ;)