Do We Go Through Immigration and/or Customs at Heathrow When We Connect

saw17752

Hi:

Our time is getting close! We depart the US on August 30, 2005, for our cruise on the Star Princess which sails RT from Copenhagen.

We are flying on American Airlines from San Diego to O'Hare and then on American Airlines from O’Hare to Heathrow, where we arrive on the 31st of August. We then transfer to a British Airways flight from Heathrow to Copenhagen. I believe, but am not positive, as we have never been to the Scandinavian Countries, that our luggage will go directly to Copenhagen and we will not need to claim it, clear customs and recheck it at Heathrow for the Copenhagen flight. Is this correct? AA and BA are both One World partners so that is usually the case.

What about immigration at Heathrow? As we are just laying over for a few hours do we need to have our landing card completed, pass through immigration and have our passports stamped at Heathrow, or do we just proceed to the correct BA terminal and gate (or lounge)?

Also, we bit the bullet and cashed in 250,000 miles for two "free" RT First Class tickets (BA only has Business Class from LHR to CPH) -- I love the word free given what I purchased to accumulate the 250,000 miles. We know where AA's Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club are, but we don't know where BA's lounge is (we can use it based on both class of service flown and under a reciprocity agreement with AA's Admirals Club and my elite frequent flyer status). Does anyone know offhand where BA's lounge is, so we don't have to search when we arrive (or try to navigate BA's website to locate it)?

We are flying on American Airlines from San Diego to O'Hare and then on American Airlines from O’Hare to Heathrow, where we arrive on the 31st of August. We then transfer to a British Airways flight from Heathrow to Copenhagen. I believe, but am not positive, as we have never been to the Scandinavian Countries, that our luggage will go directly to Copenhagen and we will not need to claim it, clear customs and recheck it at Heathrow for the Copenhagen flight. Is this correct? AA and BA are both One World partners so that is usually the case.

What about immigration at Heathrow? As we are just laying over for a few hours do we need to have our landing card completed, pass through immigration and have our passports stamped at Heathrow, or do we just proceed to the correct BA terminal and gate (or lounge)?

When you check-in at San Diego, make sure that the check-in agent has tagged the bags for all three sectors: SAN-ORD, ORD-LHR and LHR-CPH. Also, see if you can get boarding passes for all three sectors.

If they have done this, then what you do at Heathrow is the following:-

• Follow the signs for Flight Connections, Terminal 4 (to start off with, more terminals may be listed together, but you want to make sure that you are going to T4 where BA's Copenhagen flights now depart from.
  • You will be taken to a bus, which will take you directly to T4.
  • When you arrive at T4, you will clear security (probably up one floor) and then be routed directly into the main departures area (probably up another floor), with shops, restaurants etc.

You will not clear immigration or customs at LHR, nor will you need to collect your bags. You will do both immigration and customs when you arrive in Copenhagen.

Also, we bit the bullet and cashed in 250,000 miles for two "free" RT First Class tickets (BA only has Business Class from LHR to CPH) -- I love the word free given what I purchased to accumulate the 250,000 miles. We know where AA's Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club are, but we don't know where BA's lounge is (we can use it based on both class of service flown and under a reciprocity agreement with AA's Admirals Club and my elite frequent flyer status). Does anyone know offhand where BA's lounge is, so we don't have to search when we arrive (or try to navigate BA's website to locate it)?
What is your Frequent Flyer status? If you're an AA Executive Platinum, you have oneworld Emerald status and should be entitled to use the BA First lounge. There is only one of these, which is situated in the Lounge Pavilion opposite Gate 10. The Lounge Pavilion also has the Molton Brown Spa where you will be entitled to use the showers (yummy, yummy - don't miss this).

If you're an AA Platinum, you have oneworld Sapphire status and so your lounge entitlement is basically the same as you would get with you Club Europe ticket in any case. This is access to the Terraces (business class) lounge. There is one on the top floor of the Lounge Pavilion, and there is another Terraces at Gates 1a/1b. This has its own shower facility of the same standard as the Spa. There are few real differences between the two Terraces lounges so if you are choosing between them, I would use the one closer to your gate if you already know the number when you get to T4. Otherwise, I believe that the Gates 1a/1b lounge is closer to where you emerge onto the departures level from security.

If you need to collect your BA boarding pass at LHR, what I would try to do is to get it from the desk inside the lounge. You'll need to show your ticket or ticket receipt to get let in by the lounge dragons, but someone inside the lounge should be able to check you in and issue a BP.

Are you sure that you have reciprocal access benefits to BA lounges via the Admirals Club? I've never seen that referred to, although it would obviously get you in to the Admirals Club at Heathrow if you're flying on AA. (That's at T3, but I suspect you can use the Flagship Lounge there if you're in AA first class.) But it's academic given that you definitely have access to the BA lounges via other means.

One other thing to remember is that there is an AA arrivals lounge at Heathrow which you'd be entitled to use if you're arriving in AA first class. However, it's not clear how much time you have between flights at LHR - you'd have to clear immigration (even if you don't need to collect bags) in order to use the arrivals lounge.

I just wanted to thank you for one of the most comprehensive and direct answers to any question I have posted.

Regarding the reciprocity, between the Admirals Club and BA lounge it is my understanding (and I could either: 1) be wrong; or 2) the rules may have changed) that if one is Executive Platinum and flying on a BA flight that day and belongs to the Admirals Club, then the passenger and one guest may use the BA lounge. I would not take that to the bank as again while I fly to Europe quite a bit 90 times out of 100 it's only to London, and if I am going beyond London, it is after a stay in London and then I grab a low cost carrier, so the lounge issue is not an issue as if I have time I use the Admirals Club (without any problems).

Again, thank you for a very thorough response it was refreshing to actually get the question I asked responded to (that is not a jab at others who try to answer, but rather an observation on your answer.)

Dear Shelly and Susi,

If you are flying business or first class with BA you are entitled to use their fabulous lounge. It is probably one of the best lounges I have seen.

Just show your tickets to the attendant and they will let you in.

Duty free shoppping at Heathrow also rocks. I love the Scotch store.

Enjoy! We leave today for our Baltic cruise on Oceania.

Can't wait!

e

Regarding the reciprocity, between the Admirals Club and BA lounge it is my understanding that if one is Executive Platinum and flying on a BA flight that day and belongs to the Admirals Club, then the passenger and one guest may use the BA lounge.
Not that it matters, but I think you'll find that it's being AA EXP (= OW Emerald) that gets you in to BA lounges, not the Admirals Club membership. One of the best perks of higher tier FF membership!

I'm glad that I could help, and I hope it goes smoothly and that you enjoy the travel.

Archived