Fantasy - leaving from Charleston

taecruise2

Can anyone tell me the best time to get to Charleston port ? This is my 1ST time leaving form Charleston and have heard some horrible stories. I will be dropped off at the port , so no parking involved.

I usually try to get to port around 10:30 / 11:00 , but always from Florida ports. Will this be too early

Thanks for any info

We left out of Charleston in April and got to the port early. They were not ready for us and would not open the gate until 12.

We are heading back to Charleston on Sunday for our next cruise. Our plan is to get to the port a little before 12 to get in line.

Happy cruising!

We've sailed on the Fantasy twice...the second cruise ending just earlier this week. On both of our trips, they didn't allow cars into the parking lot (for either parking or drop-offs) until around 11:30. On the latest trip, even when let in, we just lined up and waited until all the support staff were ready to begin the process around 11:45 or so.

I'd say we didn't start moving in earnest until around noon....your mileage may vary, but I'd wait until around 11:30-Noon to come to the port.

Garnett

Yes, that's too early.

Have you found the "All Things Fantasy" thread? Lots of useful info there. And there is also a lot of useful info in a thread on the East Coast Departures board.

The boarding there is not horrible. The people who say that are the ones who haven't done their research/homework. :p

Yes, it's a unique situation and the terminal building is old and small. But I personally think they do an excellent job given the limitations.

But due to those limitations, they must clear out the returning passengers/vehicles before beginning boarding the new batch. The 1-level port building must be converted from luggage/immigrations/customs back over to scanners/velvet ropes/boarding photos.

And there is very little waiting area if you arrive extra early - just a small tented area. So if you arrive early and that is full, you end up standing out in the sun or rain.

I've had friend who didn't arrive until about 2:30 and boarded with no waiting. There's always a mob wanting to be first on. Sometimes, it just isn't worth it!

Anyway, I love Charleston and Fantasy and I miss her. It's been about a year since I last disembarked and I really need to figure out when I can sail her again. ;)

Hope you have a great cruise!

I now you are not driving, bu or those who do, we usually get there around 10:00 and haven't had to wait too long to park. They just have to get all the cars out of the warehouse parking lot. I think we usually have to wait around 45 mins to an hour. As soon as you're parked you can get on a shuttle to take you to the ship. There are two lines for parking and once they open it up, they move pretty quickly.

Embarkation has never taken long for us once inside the terminal and we never have luggage to drop off; we just take two carry-ons and a duffle.

Edited by Terre