what is your favorite...

cruisecriticmember

Interested to share what is your favorite river cruise line and why. My DW and I love Uniworld and will be taking our 3rd cruise with them Spring 2015. We have never tried the other lines because we love Uniworld so much. It is being promoted and described as a boutique line and we certainly feel special when we cruise on it. We like the international mix of passengers: Americans, Brits, Kiwis, Aussies, Francophone and English Canadians, Germans. What is your opinion???

Since this is a roll call forum, you will get more answers on the River Cruise board itself. Be prepared for all the "cheerleaders". We leave on our 20th river cruise on Dec1st. We always make our choice based on the itinerary first and then go on to amenities, inclusions and price. Hope your suit of armor is strong enough to stand up to the "cheerleaders".

:)

Since this is a roll call forum, you will get more answers on the River Cruise board itself. Be prepared for all the "cheerleaders". We leave on our 20th river cruise on Dec1st. We always make our choice based on the itinerary first and then go on to amenities, inclusions and price. Hope your suit of armor is strong enough to stand up to the "cheerleaders".

:) well if i feel flamed i will bale.

I went on my first river cruise in August, Amsterdam to Budapest with Scenic and loved it so much I have already booked another two cruises with them. However having seen many of the other cruise ships during that time they all look very nice so if you are satisfied with previous cruises then I would see no need to change.

Mine is Tauck and when I'm back home in a couple of days after our last Tauck cruise on the Saone and the Rhone I'll tell you why.

Looking forward to your comments on this itinerary as we are doing this with AMA in 9 weeks. Our cruise is wine themed and this is a new destination for us.

To the OP, we have been on 7 river cruises with 2 lines. Our preference is AMA for overall quality, personality of their staff and crew, and attention to detail.

We don't do many ocean cruises anymore as we dislike the big ships and pervasive nickel and diming. When we do, Oceania is our go to. AMA is our Oceania on the river.

We have done cruises on Vantage (China and Russia) and they were great. Also, we did AMA's Rhone River cruise, which was excellent.

AMA's prices have gone up and I don't consider paying 20-25% more for AMA over Vantage to be wise.

Comparing what you receive, add in prices and Vantage is the best value.

We enjoyed our four Grand Circle cruises.

They are longer cruises than the typical seven/eight day cruises on many other lines and visit more ports on a given itinerary. Also, pre and post trip land packages are available.

We like their model of having several "program directors" on board for the city tours, other guiding and advising those who want to do some independent traveling. Staff and crew have always been friendly, humorous and very attentive to passenger needs and preferences.

While we have never experienced major problems (those water level "disasters") hotel staff have delt promptly and effectively to problems. On the occasion where the Captain needed to make a schedule change due to conditions, the program directors made a quick adjustment so we got more, not less touring.

We have done 3 river cruises with Vantage, and really enjoyed them. At those times we were divided into 4 groups and a Program Director for each group.

Unfortunately, Vantage has changed to a Cruise Director and a Concierge. We do not like that as the PD's got to know everyone in there group and could help solve problems off the ship.

I hope Vantage gets enough negative comments and rethinks the arrangement.

Edited by Talisker92