Really stupid upgrade question

AndiandMike

I booked a cabin on the CB 11/12/05, if you pick a cabin, do you get upgraded ever or does that take you out of the upgrade fun? Not that it matters because I like my cabin, but friends of ours booked their cabin and are wondering the chances of upgrade if you pick a specific cabin.

THanks!

I'm sure you'll get more expert opinions . There are many posts on this elsewhere . It may help to know if the cruise booked lightly or not . Few cabins available means very doubtful .You can go to a website that will show which cabins are still on the block and get an idea of how the booking is going . I would think that given the weather in November in most parts of the country that a CB cruise would be a sellout . Good luck though .

You just never know about the upgrade fairy. We always pick our cabin and we have been upgraded some time and then there were cruises where we were not. I do not think anyone knows how the upgrade fairy works. Just one of the mysteries of life.

marilyn

As it has been previously posted, nobody truly understands the rhyme or reason of the Upgrade Fairy!

However, (and I know that there will be those who disagree with me), I personally think that those who book a Guarantee cabin seem to have a very slight more of a chance of an upgrade! (But keep in mind that an upgrade can be considered moving from a BC cabin to a BB cabin!)

I've been on exactly one cruise, booked a Guarantee category (partially obstructed view) and ended up getting upgraded to a balcony cabin just before departure. This, of course, is a batting average of 1000! Unfortunately the sample is too small to have any meaning.

I booked a mini-suite directly through Princess for my upcoming cruise. The agent advised me that if we paid the few extra $ (about an extra $40 per person) for a guaranteed cabin (i.e. a specific cabin in a particular location) we would have little possibility of an upgrade. But I imagine that if they were handing out upgrades and had a higher category of cabin available in a comparable part of the ship to what you booked for (i.e. same distance to the center of the ship)... perhaps it might happen.

But with 180 mini-suites on the CB and only 27 suites.... I think my chances of getting upgraded to a suite are extremely slim.

Look at the breakdown....

27 suites

180 mini-suites

674 Balcony Cabins

224 Oceanview Cabins

452 Interior Cabins

It's very easy to see how they can hand out lots of upgrades from Interior to Oceanview or from Oceanview to Balcony. But once you move above that category there just aren't as many rooms to move people into even if you are trying to sell out all the rooms by offering heavy discounts on the lower end rooms and then upgrading people as those rooms continue to sell out.

It's your TA who puts in the request for an upgrade. However............... be careful what you wish for - not all upgrades are created equal. You might go from a quiet balcony to a noisy (under pool area, gym, theater, etc.) balcony.

Once you get your upgrade, if you're not happy with the location, you can only hope for another one, since you cannot get your initial cabin back.

It's a game of chance.

Archived