What is an "upsell"???

Tarheelbelle

IMHO booking directly has nothing to do with your chances of being offered an upsell - the category you booked, how much you paid and how badly they want your cabin does affect your chances. That's why they must call you. Booking direct w/NCL does save the hassle of the TA middleman because while they are waiting for your TA to contact you with their offer, the CL is also offering that upsell to others and by the time your TA gets back to them, your opportunity may be gone. I pestered them almost daily starting about 2 weeks prior to my sail date. We knew there was one suite cabin left by checking NCL's website and called daily to find out if they would upsell us into it. They finally agreed just a few days prior to sail date (when it hadn't sold). BTW I got a different person each time with a different approach to my call. I would first check their website to make sure the category you want is still available. Then keep calling with polite manners. You never know......Good luck and happy sailing!

If a TA is any good they will ask you when you book if you are interested in an upsell. You can say what cat. you are interested in and put a cap on the price.

You are not always home but the TA is always in the office if NCL calls. There is no rhyme or reason for NCL to offer an upsell.......you could have sailed 20 times or this could be your first cruise.

I believe it is all about the inventory.

There is no rhyme or reason for NCL to offer an upsell.......you could have sailed 20 times or this could be your first cruise.

I believe it is all about the inventory.

Possibly a combination of inventory and an early booking date. We have received two upsells. Both times we booked mini-suites a year out. The first upsell was our first NCL cruise, and we used a TA. This year we booked through NCL.

A TA is not always in the office with NCL calls and if they are in the office, they could be busy with another call and miss it. They go on vacations, call in sick, or are out to lunch just like the rest of us. They are human, work for commission and aren't always available when we need them. My TA didn't even know what an upsell was when I mentioned it and I have read other posts from cruisers that said the same thing. Next time I'm booking direct w/NCL, forget the middle man (or woman :D ). Happy Sailing!

When booking via NCL you pay the full price and then IF there is opportunity for upsell you pay xtra which is a substantial difference closely similar to the original difference in price. Find a good TA and get what you plan from the beginning for the same price you planned. This way you don't have to play a game of chance.

Seasoned Cruiser,

I think people who are interested in upsells are trying to go from an affordable cabin to a luxury cabin.

In March we booked Cabin 9502 AC for $2757.96 for 9/4/05. Our AC suite went up to $5517.96 by May- June. In August we called to get an upsell for an AA suite 10506. Price for the upsell was $3929.96 + $140.00. The $140 being the difference in the cost of insurance on the AC at $169.00 to the AA of $239.00.

The going price for the AA suite is $7978.96. So indeed we did get it for 50% off. There's no way we would could afford to book the AA at the regular price thru NCL or a TA.

Thank god for upsells:)

Happy Sailing

Monty

Baitman19,

I agree with you absolutely. We would never book a cabin we'd be unhappy with in anticipation of an upgrade or upsell. We book the best cabin we can afford, though I'm now spoiled and don't want to book anything lower than a balcony.

We'd consider any upgrade a really nice bonus or a bit of a splurge, but if not then we're perfectly fine in the category we booked. What's to be upset about, we're cruising.

We are booked on the 11 day Oct. 21, 2005 Can/NE sail on the Jewel in a mini-suite. I've checked the availability of an upsell and it appears that the ship is totally sold out except for one Villa and one Courtyard suite. There isn't even one inside cabin left according to several sites. I don't imagine I have much of a chance at an upgrade or an upsell. I don't even think it's worth the effort to try. I booked thru NCL directly and made it known I was interested in an upsell, several times in fact. Don't get me wrong....I got a wonderful deal on the mini-suite and I'm very happy about it.....but we can all dream! Now that the reviews are coming in, we are so excited about this trip. Only two minths to go, but it feels like an eternity.

Any of you Jewel cruisers: Please feel free to post the longest review possible. We are starved for information about the Jewel. Any news and pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Happy cruising!

"When booking via NCL you pay the full price and then IF there is opportunity for upsell you pay xtra which is a substantial difference closely similar to the original difference in price." This statement is soooo not true. If you book one of NCL's specials (listed on their website) you aren't paying full price; if you are offered an upsell (read some of the deals posters have received) the additional cost when added to the NCL special price is usually 1/2 of full price. I speak from experience. Happy Sailing!

In March we booked Cabin 9502 AC for $2757.96 for 9/4/05. Our AC suite went up to $5517.96 by May- June. In August we called to get an upsell for an AA suite 10506. Price for the upsell was $3929.96 + $140.00.

Monty, so what is the total AA cabin cost you at the end? I am sorry the numbers here are a bit confusing to me. Was it $2858 + $3930 or just $3930?

1cruiselvr,

I totally agree. We're going to enjoy our 1/2 price AA suite on 9/4.

I have always found that you have to do your homework. Don't sail in the summer & around holidays. The prices are really high.

When my wife and I retire, we'll be able to take those "last minute" really discounted cruises.

Happy sailing

Monty

Oh, I agree that when you get a good promotion or hot deal your original price is less than the book price, but reading here what other people paid for upsell I noticed that the difference between categories is similar to what is stated in the book. For example the difference between balconies and suites is $750 pp, and someone paid $650.

I am not trying to argue or contradict, I am trying to understand these arithmetics and every explanation is helpful.

Is it possible to get a hot deal in February?

And, Monty, was your final cost $3800 for 2? Please confirm that I understand correctly.

In most/many instances when the upsell desk calls you they will offer you a higher cabin at 50% off the book price of that cabin, and you will pay the balance between the cost of the new cabin and what you paid for your current cabin.

Example AE normally sells for $3000, and you paid $1000 for a BA. They will offer the AE at $1500, and you will pay the difference of $500.

Occassionally if you know that there are a lot of upper category cabins available you can make a counter offer and bicker a little bit. I wouldn't do it too much, since they can always just call the next person on the list.

My Feb 21st cruise hasn't been selling that well and I'm hoping to get a call for an upsell. I will watch and see what is available after final payment, and will monitor the cabins at that time and I will call them if they don't call me. I booked directly with NCL for that reason.

Sometimes folks aren't really getting an upsell but think they are....for example when we first called we were quoted the brochure price difference between our booked category and the upgraded category. We passed but if we had taken it not knowing any better we would have thought we had been quoted an upsell price. Or if you ask your TA for an upsell and they don't understand what it is (had that happen too), you might get quoted upgrade pricing instead. True upsells usually happen when NCL calls you and makes the offer. Otherwise, it is usually just upgrade pricing. What's the difference? Upsell is cheaper - a deal offered by the CL to move you into a higher category. Upgrade is the difference between the 2 categories at advertised pricing, no real deal. It's confusing and difficult to explain. I hope I haven't confused anyone. Happy Sailing!

The reason for my being so inquisitive is the desire to understand mechanics of this process, so I can make the right decision for myselfwhen booking my cruise. Considering the low probability of upsell offer, I want to know how I can benefit financially if it happens, but despite all examples people provided in these posts, I don't get it, unless the original price was promotional. I mean with hypothetical example it is clear, but looking at real prices it does not add up.

In March we booked Cabin 9502 AC for $2757.96 for 9/4/05. Our AC suite went up to $5517.96 by May- June. In August we called to get an upsell for an AA suite 10506. Price for the upsell was $3929.96 + $140.00.

Monty, so what is the total AA cabin cost you at the end? I am sorry the numbers here are a bit confusing to me. Was it $2858 + $3930 or just $3930?

Seasoned Cruiser,

The price was $4170 for the AA upsell.:)

I was just stating that I had already gotten a great price for the AC at $2758. NCL ran a sail on cabins in Feb & March and I spotted this cabin for such a low price. So I booked it. If I had waited it would have cost me $5518 :eek: and I would have NEVER booked it at that price.

I would have NEVER booked the AA at the regular $7860 price.:eek:

This is a once in a lifetime thing for us!

Happy Sailing

Monty

Archived