What is an "upsell"???

Tarheelbelle

Okay this is probably a really dumb question, but I have not seen this term used with the other cruiselines I have sailed. What exactly is an upsell? How does one get it? When?

I mean, is it like an upgrade that you pay for like on an airline?

Thanks for the info!!

Upselling is basically something that's offered with an additional cost attached to it (retail does it all the time) - a good example would be going to get a drink at the theatre, and they ask you if you'd like a large instead of a medium for only $... With cruise lines, it tends to refer to the spa treatments, drink specials etc. etc that are advertised in the daily program. Hope that helps!

NCL has an upsell desk. They call cruisers usually a couple weeks after final payment deadlines and offer to upsell them to a more expensive cabin, at a discounted price. They do this to open up the cheaper cabins which are more likely to sell closer to the cruise date. There doesn't seem to be a formula to figure out who they call first...but they have some system in place.

that is indeed correct; we took an upsell about 3 weeks before we sailed.

NCL policy is they call you; however, if you booked directly with NCL you can try and call them. Do a search for upsell on this board and you'll find the number.

If you used a TA, have them call for you, but many TAs don't know the process. You'll have to give them the phone number and clarify that you are looking to buy an upsell, not just inquiring about a free upgrade.

Does anyone have an estimate of how much upsells cost? We have a BA cabin - hoping to possible get into an A category through an upsell.....Any help here is greatly appreciated......

I spoke with the upsell desk yesterday regarding our 11/6 cruise on the Jewel. We are booked in a AB suite. I wanted to know the upsell price to the Owners' suite (AA) and also the A3 courtyard suite. The AA price was $1200 and the A3 was $1000 more per person!!!

We cruised with RCCL (prefer NCL) two years ago and upgraded from a balcony room to the Owners' suite for $200 per person.

I'm not that interested in their current offer. The A3 is the same size as our current suite. If it's meant to be, I'll hear from them closer to the sailing.

Jane

Tjosh7

We got an upsell on 8/4 for our 9/4 sailing on the Dawn from an AC to an AA (Owners Suite). We booked thru NCL and called them. They called us back the next day with a price 50% off the regular price + the increase in the insurance from what we paid for the AC. Couldn't pass it up.

It doesn't hurt to try.

Happy Sailing

Monty

Keep an eye on the inventory and then call them back about 3-4 weeks prior to sailing. I read somewhere that they 'release' rooms for upsell on Mondays so you might try monday afternoons.

BTW, do splurge if you can for the AA (they should come down in price would be my guess). It is an amazing experience.

I'm on the star 9/4 and did a upsell from a AF to a AE AFT for $200.00PP

the week our final payment was due.

3dblouder

Oh, 3dblouder, you give me hope! We're sailing on the Star on 11/25. We booked an AG guarantee and were given an AF right off the bat. I'd love to get an upsell to an AE or AD aft cabin. I'll be watching for your trip report!

Amy

I understand that if you use a TA, that they are supposed to call the upsell desk. I e-mailed my TA, explained we might be interested in an upsell and gave her the upsell desk number. She wrote back that she would check on it for me.

Well, the next day she called back and was all excited. She told me that we had been upgraded from a BE (which is what we booked) to a BB. Of course I already knew this as I had gotten the cabin number when I registered online. She didn't seem to understand or have any clue about what I was talking about with regards to an "upsell" so I just gave up with her. This was the first time I've used this agency.

My question is, since my Ta appears to be clueless regarding an "upsell" do you think that the upsell desk will talk with me directly if I explain the situation? Or should I just give up? My BB cabin is perfectly fine, however I was thinking of surprising DH with a fancier cabin as an anniversary gift.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Goldmom,

It can't hurt to try. Do a little research first. Check the website and see what's still available. Figure out what you are willing to pay for the upsell. You also have to tell them to which category you want to upsell to.

Think that the upsell is going to be 50% off the two person fare + the difference in the insurance cost. Some people I know have been given a price and they say that's a little high, how about this? It has worked. It has to be a reasonable offer. You will have to pay the difference by credit card.

They really don't start upselling until 1 month to go.

Got our upsell for an Owners Suite for 9/4 on 8/4, but we booked thru NCL.

Happy Sailing

Monty

On our recent Majesty cruise, I called NCL and told them we would be interested in an upsell, and I also told them what cabin we'd be interested in. They made a note in our file, but told me I had to contact our TA (we booked through an on-line TA). I did exactly that, and a few days later we had the upsell we wanted, for I think it was $120 (we went from a standard obstructed ocean view to a superior ocean view -- also obstructed). We were very happy! :p

I was very surprised to be able to talk to a live person through our on-line TA office, and was very pleased with the service. For our upcoming cruise we booked directly through NCL, because we knew exactly what we wanted. We booked a BE GTY, and the next day we'd been assigned a cabin -- a BA! :D

Goldmom, can you transfer your booking back to NCL? Doesn't sound like this TA has earned your cruise dollars. Then deal with NCL directly.

Someone will no doubt advise you how to do that - hopefully you just contact NCL, less awkard than telling the TA.

But worth it to try for that upsell given that you TA is evidently clueless.

If you have booked thru a TA, you can call the upsell desk and let them know you are interested in an upsell and request your booking be marked but they won't discuss or negotiate an upsell with you, only your TA. I went thru this in July when I was interested in an upsell from a balcony to a suite on the Spirit. Happy Sailing!

Thanks for all the suggestions. it's really too late to switch our booking back to NCL as we are on the 9/11/05 Dawn selling. I'll try giving the upsell desk a call tomorrow and see what happens.

Whatever happens is fine, we'll be cruising!

I'll let you know if they'll talk to me, and if we can get an upsell.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Here's what happened.

I called the upsell desk and said we were on the Dawn 9/11 sailing and would be interested in upgrading our cabin. The woman on the phone never even asked if I had a TA. She very politely told me that I could not call them and ask for an up grade, that they call and offer it to some passengers. She said that they work from a list provided to them by upper management. I asked if she could take my reservation # and mark my file that we'd be interested and she asked for res#, but I got the feeling she was only humoring me.

Not sure how you get on that list as we've sailed with NCL for 20+ years, plus it all really seems to depend on who happens to pick up the phone when you call.

Oh well, guess it wasn't meant to be.

Call back again - Some are nicer then others. They told me that too and I asked to be put on the list. We had an AF and I wanted an AB. About a half hour later my TA called with Norwegian on the line and I got the upsell for 250.00 pp two weeks befor sailing. I must have called 5 time before someone would help me but it worked..

Good luck

Archived