getting off the ship at ports

txflood33

It's been a while since I have cruised so I was wondering....

is the method still the same for getting off the boat when arriving at ports...pretty much a herd of cattle waiting for the doors to open?

I will have 2 tendered and 5 docked ports of call on my trip. Are the methods any better? Is there a method...spend more on your room and you we'll save you a place up front?

Just curious...we are going to try the relaxed, DIY at our own pace method of seeing the Med; want to know what to plan for.

TXFLOOD33,

For your tendered ports - those with cruise ship booked excursions will be first off. If one of your ports is Santorini there are actually two different tendering systems as the excursions go to a different site by different tenders so the mass exodus is somewhat controlled. The suite passengers and Captain's Club higher tiers have priority on the generic tender lines.

Passengers will be told where to get tender tickets. It's usually in the theatre and you just sit and wait for your ticket to be called.

In the docked ports the process is much the same but passengers can exit at will regardless of what you may hear.

Celebrity usually only makes one announcement that the ship has been cleared and passengers can proceed onshore.

If you have not joined the Roll Call for your sailing please do so. If you have not sailed the Med before and you port in Livorno, Civitavecchia, or Piraeus you may wish to join others on your sailing for privately booked excursions since these ports are 45 - 60 minutes from the major sites. The pace of these tours is usually more palatable especially when a DIY day is neither that easy or enjoyable.