Break down of Auto Tips on Carnival- FYI

rene194215

They get a competitive wage.

They get about $50 a month in wages.

These cabin steward calculations only work if all assigned cabins are full on each cruise with two passengers. It does not account for taxes, solo occupancies or vacancies. It does not account for the 12-16 hours a day since they have assignments in public areas. I will estimate at least 10 percent of passengers pull their tips at the end of the cruise. Last cruise, I was at Guest Services for an extended time and watched/listened to dozens of folks (and the lines were very long) fabricating excuses to remove tips, many getting cash back on prepaid tips. They were cancelling all the tips so the wait staff were getting hosed too.

One large family group sat near me in the dining room. They ran the wait staff ragged, coming in 45-60 minutes after service started, etc. They came to Guest Services, pulled out their tips claiming they preferred to tip in person and never showed up at dinner last night. By the looks of the dining room every last night, this is common. You can just see the sadness in the wait staff since they know what is happening.

OP -

I noticed you are doing a B2B on the Paradise in October. Are you planning on coming back and doing any reviews? I hope so as we are sailing on her in February and there aren't nearly enough reviews out there on the Paradise.

Great thread - learned some very interesting info.

Hi GeorgiaMomo! yes I do plan on doing a review, and not a 1 post type review. I know she is an older ship but I have been on her before a few years ago and loved her. Most reviews these days are for the bigger ships but I think Paradise warrents a nice review!