Would your solution be the same as P&Os?

ucanttaketheboy

What would you consider a fair solution to the following scenario?

On our recent cruise, we were seated on a table for 6, which consisted of two parties of three and got on very well with our dinning companions.

On our next to last night, both parties had open bottles of white wine in the ice bucket. With no one near it and in calm seas, the ice bucket fell over spilling the contents of the ice bucket and bottles. No other real damage done other than a wet floor and some wet skirts (fortunately wasn't red wine).

For those that may be interested, I'll post P&Os solution once I've given those that wish to post what would be their solution.

Hint - P&O's solution didn't quite meet what I would have expected, but then maybe I was wrong!

Replacement wine.

Apology.

Dry cleaning.

Sincere Apology.

Refund of cruise fare.

Apology and ceremonial Hari Kari by at least 4 P&O Directors.

Free World Cruise in Full Suite every year for life

… plus compensation for the emotional distress …

:D

Replacement wine.

Apology.

Dry cleaning.

Sincere Apology.

Refund of cruise fare.

Apology and ceremonial Hari Kari by at least 4 P&O Directors.

Free World Cruise in Full Suite every year for life

… plus compensation for the emotional distress …

:D

^ Love this :D totally agree ;)

Apologies for delay. Didn't think I would cause so much angst!

No obvious reason for the bucket to topple, my suspicion is that the wine waiter had placed the bottles such that it wasn't well balanced. Thought at one stage the poor assistant waiter was going to get the blame, but he was nowhere near it!

Wine waiter came back with the same bottles filled to the level he considered they had been at. This was considered an inadequate solution by both parties so Restaurant Manager was called. Suggestion made that the bottles should be replaced, however Restaurant Manager said that he couldn't make that decision (somewhat surprised that that was the case). Eventually wine waiter returned with one new bottle -which wasn't the same as either of the original bottles. Offer was made to launder clothing however that was declined.

Felt that two replacement bottles would have been fair, but was starting to get the impression that we might have to get to the captain for that decision to be made!

What I found surprising was that the Restaurant Manager was unable to make a decision over a couple of bottles of average wine at what must be a cost to P&O of probably £10-£12. Surely they make allowance for breakages etc.

Yes, poor response, two new bottles of the same and everyone's happy.

As a comparison, Ventura, Carribean, last January, Glass House food and wine pairing dinner, my wife twice knocked over her glass of wine, immediately removed and a new glass filled to the original level provided.

No questioning needed, just attentive service.

That's what is remembered, the "no problem madam" service.

No, she wasn't drunk, just being ebullient with her hands because we were having an interesting conversation with our table companions, there being some points of common interest.

The only question that comes to mind here is what did they do with the wine that they took out of the bottles to make it the level it was when it toppled over and spilt. I hope it wasn't tipped into a container for use by other passengers. If it was tipped down the drain then that is just waste. Come to think of it there are probably some places where it would be illegal to re-sell drinks once the contents has been removed from the bottle