Carnival brings in outside to head entertainment

jimbo5544

While I don't mind island sounds, I do not want it all the time. I prefer the mix even though my fave is the classic rock. I also do not mind most current music as long as it is not rap (like others have said). I don't even mind good hip hop.

But, music aside, what I would like to see happen immediately is that they move the comedians to the theater in the evenings if there is no show. The lines are nuts to get into one of the comedy shows and you should have have to get in line almost an hour to see the comedian! There is no reason the comedy show cannot be in the main lounge for the 11:30 show!

I agree with most of this post. I don't even mind a little rap. But then again I don't mind a little heavy metal. I can deal with almost anything in moderation. Steel drums are nice but not constantly. Too monotonous. Overcrowding for the comedy show happens on every ship. Don't see why it can't be worked out to move it to a larger venue.

Best wishes to the new hire.

That is what you picked up from the article???:confused: I read the entire profile and did not cherry pick a job she had in the past, that might make people think she is not qualified (which you or I would not have a clue on). Of the entire article, you gleaned something that was referred to as "earlier roles". Integrated media services to the global cruise and travel industry (seems on target), including the last three years as president (executive management responsibility) - check again, (also includes VP of Operations) and your comment. She worked on a cruise ship as well.

You read the entire article yet still said she was a 27!year veteran in the entertainment field?

But no, I know not what article you speak of. You provided no link.

You read the entire article yet still said she was a 27!year veteran in the entertainment field?

Probably the same one on a Carnival website that gives some of her past experience. All pretty heavy in the entertainment field, although not much that I would say is directly relatable to big show production. Probably the closest would be her time as an assistant CD on NCL.

I wish her well and hope the best for entertainment on Carnival, but her background does not suggest we are in line for more big Las Vegas/Broadway style shows. Instead, I would say you are going to get smaller, more technology focused shows.

Not to be mean, but her background makes me thing her first thoughts are going to be, "Great, lots of lounges and small clubs! I know what to do with those, but what the heck am I going to do with that big theater in the front?!?"

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/onboard-media-veteran-joins-carnival-as-vp-entertainment.html

Here you go

Probably the same one on a Carnival website that gives some of her past experience. All pretty heavy in the entertainment field, although not much that I would say is directly relatable to big show production. Probably the closest would be her time as an assistant CD on NCL.

I wish her well and hope the best for entertainment on Carnival, but her background does not suggest we are in line for more big Las Vegas/Broadway style shows. Instead, I would say you are going to get smaller, more technology focused shows.

Not to be mean, but her background makes me thing her first thoughts are going to be, "Great, lots of lounges and small clubs! I know what to do with those, but what the heck am I going to do with that big theater in the front?!?"

Bingo?

Who said they were going to Broadway shows? Not my idea of improvement.

Bingo?

Who said they were going to Broadway shows? Not my idea of improvement.

A lot of people miss the big shows. As I mentioned on other threads, I never really got to see them. I'm not sure if I would have liked them or not.

And I don't think anyone has said they are, but her background definitely suggests she WON'T be going that route.

A Google search found me the official Carnival press release, I'm sure what the site you linked copied. They call her a 27 year travel industry veteran, which she is. And really, most of it is entertainment linked.

I guess the Port Shopping chats are going to get a lot more interesting. :D

But really, her background suggests that theater is going to be her weak spot. Presumably she has learned good management skills and will find good staff members to help where she is weak and deliver good entertainment in all venues.

Depends what you think a background in Port Shopping has to do with being in charge of entertainment.

That is what you picked up from the article???:confused: I read the entire profile and did not cherry pick a job she had in the past, that might make people think she is not qualified (which you or I would not have a clue on). Of the entire article, you gleaned something that was referred to as "earlier roles". Integrated media services to the global cruise and travel industry (seems on target), including the last three years as president (executive management responsibility) - check again, (also includes VP of Operations) and your comment. She worked on a cruise ship as well.

Jimbo, this is one of those times I beg, 'Hate the message, not the messenger' . . .

On a particular web site (nope, not going to CC jail for specific details or improper cut-n-pastes) that allows savvy business folks to post their current resume of career strengths, Sarah Beth chose her own words for how she wants to be presented to the masses.

In the 147-word Summary of her current role (which I'm sure she'll update soon), the word Entertainment is not used once. The word Retail is used multiple times (including building benefits to Port Of Call retailers)

In the 257-word summary of her Experience, the word Entertainment is not used once. The word Retail is used multiple times, again referencing "port of call shopping" a few times. And, as any quality business executive would/should do (and not a bad thing at all), she strongly focusses on increased revenue generation through realignment, merging, and elimination of positions/product to meet those goals.

Still, I definitely am going to watch this new initiative with the most positive attitute possible . . . but I do hope she'll make her presence known in even a small way, and not some seemingly hidden figment-of-imagination that another one tended to be.

Edited by DGP1111
goobered spelling

Oh yes,,,who in their right mind decided that the majority of folks around the main pool like Hip-Hop/Rap Crap???????:confused:

I told my wife if you ever want to make sure I am really dead play rap. If I don't jump up and try to claw your eyes out then I am truly dead.

I listened to some pretty lame stuff in my day but even disco sounds great compared to rap. I had really hoped it would have died out by now but no such luck. BTW I have no idea what is different about rap vs. hip hop.

What I need to do is get all of my 55 year old buddies to start listening to rap and wearing our pant down low, then it wouldn't be cool any longer and it would die off.

I'm not sure I'd expect any BIG changes with this. Undoubtedly down the road those entertainment acts and venues with consistently poor attendance will be deep-sixed. But that doesn't mean live steel bands and live cover bands will magically reappear. Costs will be a concern. Poorly attended stage shows can easily be scraped. Perhaps a shift in Lido deck DJ focus from all hip-hop(or what poorly passes for R&B these days) all the time to a more eclectic musical variety could take place, leaving the hip-hop and EDM to the later night club venues. But there'll be data collection and more data collection before any real changes occur (nature of the beast in today's corporate world). I doubt she will be jerking around CDs, rather, she'll be the up-the-line report (no more "dear Mickey" notes from JH, who'll have to put on a pair of long pants before emailing Sarah Beth). And then again, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.;)

Last week i heard a steel band in the promenade and by the pool and it was a transatlantic on the BRILLIANT Oasis of the seas

[tQUOTE=TPFKAH;44127289]If that's your source, no where does it say she's a 27 veteran in the entertainment field. But I said that already.

actually several but you do that often. Maybe we can discuss her merits now (all of them). Or not, you decide.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I was on the Freedom in August, and we found the Playlist shows to be quite boring, and a big let down from the Liberty in 2013. While I have not seen other Playlist shows, if Freedom is the best of the bunch that is a poor comment indeed.

Hopefully this new VP will be able to improve and standardize the entertainment across the fleet.

I agree i wonder if the singers and dancers in the canned music show are approved by Milli Vanilli as the comics are approved by George Lopez and the DJ's by Irie? LOL

Edited by wanderingjew

Last week i heard a steel band in the promenade and by the pool and it was a transatlantic on the BRILLIANT Oasis of the seas

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Jimbo, this is one of those times I beg, 'Hate the message, not the messenger' . . .

On a particular web site (nope, not going to CC jail for specific details or improper cut-n-pastes) that allows savvy business folks to post their current resume of career strengths, Sarah Beth chose her own words for how she wants to be presented to the masses.

In the 147-word Summary of her current role (which I'm sure she'll update soon), the word Entertainment is not used once. The word Retail is used multiple times (including building benefits to Port Of Call retailers)

In the 257-word summary of her Experience, the word Entertainment is not used once. The word Retail is used multiple times, again referencing "port of call shopping" a few times. And, as any quality business executive would/should do (and not a bad thing at all), she strongly focusses on increased revenue generation through realignment, merging, and elimination of positions/product to meet those goals.

Still, I definitely am going to watch this new initiative with the most positive attitute possible . . . but I do hope she'll make her presence known in even a small way, and not some seemingly hidden figment-of-imagination that another one tended to be.

Lol, that's all we can ask. I like you hope for the best.

Wow. Even on John Healds FB page, it seems to be the overwhelming consensus that the entertainment is in need of a serious overhaul. So many dissatisfied customers/posters.

Yet this is no different than every time the question of entertainment comes up. They seem to have been left in the dust compared to the 2 closest competitors.

Wow. Even on John Healds FB page, it seems to be the overwhelming consensus that the entertainment is in need of a serious overhaul. So many dissatisfied customers/posters.

Yet this is no different than every time the question of entertainment comes up. They seem to have been left in the dust compared to the 2 closest competitors.

Have to think they are well aware of what many of their customers think about the trend of Carnival entertainment at a time when their closest competitors are making improvements.

Hopefully she will have some good ideas and get the support of higher ups to make the improvements that are needed.

Have to think they are well aware of what many of their customers think about the trend of Carnival entertainment at a time when their closest competitors are making improvements.

Hopefully she will have some good ideas and get the support of higher ups to make the improvements that are needed.

I fear a new evening entertainment of Home Shopping Network type activities. Or a new Price is Right game show.

I fear a new evening entertainment of Home Shopping Network type activities. Or a new Price is Right game show.

I would hate it if they dumbed down entertainment even more.

Went to Hasbro for first time on our last cruise. It was done in the evening even though few kids were on the ship.

There was a competition to see who could act like biggest moron to get selected to go onto stage.

Than the games were rather pitiful with no skill needed as far as I could see.

We walked oute after about 15 minutes with no intention of coming back. Main lounge was about as empty as I have ever seen it for an evenings entertainment so Carnival must know how unpopular this is.

You seem to have many negative fears regarding Carnival, but I sense a new, positive, optimistic TPFKAH in wings.....

Agree with most on this thread. Hansbro...really. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the people who volunteer.......it hurts to watch them. I am embarrassd for them. Walked out. Never went back. Playlist. What? Where? The Productions I remember.........."Ticket to Ride". Took another cruise on the Dream just to see it again. LOVED it. Bring Marc Anthony back. He can sing. He can dance. He is funny. The Live Bands. Princess, or they did when we last sailed in 2013.....schedules trivia and dancing in the same lounge. Or they did. First , at night, dinner. Then the band. Then the Trivia. I don't even dance, but I found myself hurring to get there so I could watch the People who could dance. I loved it. Then we played Trivia. Wonderful evening. After we played Trivia....they did have a DJ but the dancing continuted. Real People. Real Musicians. Trivia Staff who make it interesting and have control of the competitions. I like other activities. Scattergories. Charades. Good family fun and you meet a lot of nice people. Good Movies. SOME CARTOONS THAT DON'T SCARE TODDLERS ON IN CABIN TV CHANNELS. We took our 3 year old grand daughter last March on the Liberty (loved that ship and the activities staff...HELLO! Liz from Canada) and the cartoons were all the "pre teen" stuff. Vampires. Ghouls. Monsters. Scared ME! Maybe some Max and Ruby" ? Since Dr. Seuss is now a part of Camp Carnival..some Cat and the Hat? Calliou? Paw Patrol" ? You Gabba Gabba"? With a Toddler you are going to be in the cabin a bit.......Some Movies like FROZEN? Hope we see a change.

""Than the games were rather pitiful with no skill needed as far as I could see.

You nailed it. It is hard to watch those people............I cringe for them. I am embarrased fpor them. Don't they realize how they appear? How could anyone enjoy watching people humilitate themselves to get on a stage for a few minutes. Maybe it is just me. Not funny! Sends shivers up my spine that people do that. Sort of masochistic. (sp)

She could start by actually LISTENING to the musicians they've contracted to play on the ships. Holy cow. If budget constraints prevent hiring bands and they continue to have solo acts or 1 man band performers... they can find some with a little more talent. There are a lot of hungry and talented musicians out there to replace some of the folks we've heard that can't carry a tune.

Same thing with the Piano players in the Piano Bar. They are losing a lot of money by having empty piano bars every night. They can pay more, improve the quality of the musician, and still make a nice profit when alcohol sales boom in the piano bar.

Edited by pjhootch

I'm going back to Playlist Productions and getting away from smoking. (Not a smoker, don't mind smoking, don't have a horse in the race.:)) Carnival apparently invested a fair amount of money in Playlist, so at least on the ships that currently have Playlist I don't see any change in the near future. It costs a lot of money to swap out shows on these ships. My question is whether they continue to roll out Playlist on ships scheduled for drydock in the near future - or stick with the current shows. I'm curious about their survey results (we actually got surveys for both our 2014 cruises!), and wonder whether they're seeing the younger demographic (likely less experienced cruisers and different entertainment tastes) liking Playlist and the older demographic (people like me, over 50 years old and 20 cruises) who don't like it at all.

I'm going back to Playlist Productions and getting away from smoking. (Not a smoker, don't mind smoking, don't have a horse in the race.:)) Carnival apparently invested a fair amount of money in Playlist, so at least on the ships that currently have Playlist I don't see any change in the near future. It costs a lot of money to swap out shows on these ships. My question is whether they continue to roll out Playlist on ships scheduled for drydock in the near future - or stick with the current shows. I'm curious about their survey results (we actually got surveys for both our 2014 cruises!), and wonder whether they're seeing the younger demographic (likely less experienced cruisers and different entertainment tastes) liking Playlist and the older demographic (people like me, over 50 years old and 20 cruises) who don't like it at all.

I agree with most of what you have said here. I am sure that Carnival has a lot of investment in Playlist and will certainly try and improve it and work with playlist before cutting bait. While I have to agree that I was not impressed with what we have seen on our most recent cruises (the big production shows, or the Hasbro game show idea) some of the recent reviews liked two of the new shows. I am sure they are getting a lot of feedback.

I think entertainment on cruises is at a point of change in the industry, not just at Carnival (look at what RCI and NCL have done). Carnival appears to be more focused on total ship entertainment (moving forward) and less and less on big shows. It will be interesting to watch.