Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

Class is treating everyone you meet with respect and kindness, and showing interest in their personal uniqueness. You miss a lot by trying to figure out who is the "right person to know."

It is not the house you live in or the car you drive - lots of people with real money have that money because they don't spend it frivolously.

It is not your job - there are many worthwhile professions that pay very little money.

And it is certainly not the cabin you sleep in on a ship - some people actually prefer sleeping in an inside cabin for the darkness. Or they need a balcony because they are claustrophobic.

Having a lot of money does not determine "class." Many of us are old enough to have figured that out a long time ago;)

Correct on ALL counts......:)

Class is treating everyone you meet with respect and kindness, and showing interest in their personal uniqueness. You miss a lot by trying to figure out who is the "right person to know."

It is not the house you live in or the car you drive - lots of people with real money have that money because they don't spend it frivolously.

It is not your job - there are many worthwhile professions that pay very little money.

And it is certainly not the cabin you sleep in on a ship - some people actually prefer sleeping in an inside cabin for the darkness. Or they need a balcony because they are claustrophobic.

Having a lot of money does not determine "class." Many of us are old enough to have figured that out a long time ago;)

Wow is that on the mark!

Unfortunately many don't get it as they strut about looking down their noses. Love it when people look down on us when they have no idea about our situation.

Exactly! When my thrifty (to put it kindly) MIL goes apoplectic about our travels, I tell her I'd sooner have the memories for under the bridge than a fat bank account I can't enjoy, should I make it to the assisted living years.

I also agree about spending that kind of money on a smaller, more luxurious ship. Although we've only three cruises under our belts, we're ready for Eastern Med ports where the big ships can't go. If I spend $1000 dollars a day, I want local cuisine, not generic cruise food and wine. On board activities, or lack thereof, make no difference.

Shot2bits, indeed, you started an interesting thread. My mom always told me that class is neither inherited nor bought. That, of course, is a matter of semantics. Cruise ship classes are merely purchases, and I really don't understand the obsession with it. As long as I have a balcony, the Sunset Bar, and amazing antiquities to visit, I don't give a rat's patoutie what amenities others have purchased. To each our own.

I think you are my long lost twin. I'm saving a fair amount for retirement, but I don't hold back on vacations. I'll cruise in my later years but there is too much fun to be had right now (age 40). Keep telling the wife a week of vacation sounds more exciting to me then new living room furniture.

I still plan on being active as long as I can, but you can only postpone aging so much.

Unless someone has some real inside concrete info, the treatment of passengers on board remains the same regardless of what was paid for the cabin.

In other words the cabin selection does not translate into better treatment by staff. A few more perks, certainly, but not a superior approach to a guest as a n individual.

Perks are paid for, the service levels, attentiveness and politeness are common to all on board no matter what.

The rest is imagination.

Unless someone has some real inside concrete info, the treatment of passengers on board remains the same regardless of what was paid for the cabin.

In other words the cabin selection does not translate into better treatment by staff. A few more perks, certainly, but not a superior approach to a guest as a n individual.

Perks are paid for, the service levels, attentiveness and politeness are common to all on board no matter what.

The rest is imagination.

That is a good distinction.

We do earn or pay for perks/benefits, but I think in most of my interactions when it was not obvious as to my Captains club status, the crew has been great and not in response to my Captain's Club status or cabin category.

I do also think that those crew that do intact with Captain's Club members or crew that do interact as a result of a cabin category, again I think do a great job and try to make anyone/everyone's cruise a great cruise.

I will say, that in general, I have had more neutral service from bartenders than anyone else and they get an automatic 15% gratuity. Makes me think that if it was not automatic or fixed, they might be more responsive in my experience. Most have been great I do have to say, as I write this, I think of the bartender I had to always ask for a for napkin to wipe off my beer can and did that really even engage me.

Edited by shipshape sam

Sorry to disappoint your somewhat slanted attitude. We do two Celebrity cruises per year since year 2000. Perhaps were have seen one screaming rugrat and three quiet drunks for the combined cruises. Maybe you should avoid professional football games and have a happier attitude towards Celebrity Cruises.

Jay I think you misunderstood my post, perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been. I chose Celebrity for our March 2015 cruise specifically for the reasons you mention. Not sure where you picked up the slanted opinion or reference to professional football games. I was attempting to make a point about wanting a cruise with a higher class of passenger while not calling out other cruise lines in the process.

Jay I think you misunderstood my post, perhaps I was not as clear as I should have been. I chose Celebrity for our March 2015 cruise specifically for the reasons you mention. Not sure where you picked up the slanted opinion or reference to professional football games. I was attempting to make a point about wanting a cruise with a higher class of passenger while not calling out other cruise lines in the process.

So, Celebrity Cruise lines has a higher class of passenger? Please. People are people. On our recent Celebrity cruise I witnessed parents screaming at kids at full volume, reserving deck chairs, demeaning staff (again at full volume), etc...sorry there is no escape from obnoxious people regardless of the size of their 401K.

So, Celebrity Cruise lines has a higher class of passenger? Please. People are people. On our recent Celebrity cruise I witnessed parents screaming at kids at full volume, reserving deck chairs, demeaning staff (again at full volume), etc...sorry there is no escape from obnoxious people regardless of the size of their 401K.

You are right...it is just another floating trailer!:eek:

The word "class" has different meanings in different contexts, as do many other words in the English language.

This thread started out as a discussion of distinctions between different Celebrity cruise ship classes.

But it got diverted into a discussion of the word "class" pertaining to human character, i.e. a classy person.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Having cruised lines from Carnival to Disney to Celebrity I would say there is a class system on all. Just as there is on airlines and hotels. More you pay, bigger the room and amenities. That said I think Celebrity is doing a good job of adding bigger / better amenities for their Suite guest. Try and book a suite on any Europe or Transatlantic in the next year. They are hard to come by and at premium price due to premium amenities. So in that sense, yes, it is alive and they are doing good job of rewarding people willing to pay for those amenities.

Now does not mean the people in those rooms are the classiest on ship or have more class than those in Guarantee Inside cabin? Not at all.

You cant confuse having class with a class category.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

Having sailed in most types of cabins from suite to oceanview, I have not felt like Celebrity has a class system. I thought when they introduced Aqua Class, there might be a class distinction. That did not happen. Some like Blu. Some don't like Blu. I have met Aqua class people in the MDR. Not everyone likes "healthy" choices. I prefer the MDR food selections. Since Blu and the MDR are often closed for lunch, the buffet is a true one class for all. The new dining room for suite guests may or may not be a good thing. It may tend to isolate the suite guests. It may be an incentive to get people to book more suites. Since I don't spend much time in my cabin, buying a suite or a larger cabin is a waste. The standard cabins on Celebrity are a decent size. I can only see the fares for suites increasing to pay for the new suite perks. Fares have gone up quite a bit lately. In the travel business, if cruises continue to increase fares, they may start to decrease bookings. In the close competitive cruise business, there are lots of berths to fill. The result is lots of last minute reductions with great perks. With higher fares, there will be people rethinking their vacation options. Another result of MODERN LUXURY. I hope Celebrity doesn't change too much. I like Celebrity cruises.