RSVP Cruise to Alaska August 1-8 2015

NYC95

Hey there.... just booked this cruise.... This is my first Alaska cruise But my 4th RSVP cruise.

I'm looking forward to this trip...

Hope to get to chat about the cruise, ports, tours and parties...

Looking forward to meeting more cruise friends....

Eddie

Hey guys,

Been on several cruises - this will be my third RSVP cruise (after the Princess FEb. 2015 cruise. Scored an aft cabin on deck 5. Looks like it has a GINORMOUS balcony. I can thank a shout out on the HAL message board to direct me to that cabin.

Does anybody have an idea when they will announce some hotel options? Alot of places have that weekend sold out....

Looking forward tot he cruise!

Hey there Mister White...

I looked at some of the Hotels and noticed that many were booked up as well... So, not taking any chances (as I want to do a couple of days there prior to the cruise) I booked a room that had a free cancelation policy on Booking.com...

I am also looking around at B&B's and Rental units as well. Figure I have some time to research and all, but wanted to make sure I had a room to fall back on.

I'm hoping they will tell us sooner than later, especially seeing that it is their 30th anniversary... But totally looking forward to this trip !!!!

Hey there Mister White...

I looked at some of the Hotels and noticed that many were booked up as well... So, not taking any chances (as I want to do a couple of days there prior to the cruise) I booked a room that had a free cancelation policy on Booking.com...

I am also looking around at B&B's and Rental units as well. Figure I have some time to research and all, but wanted to make sure I had a room to fall back on.

I'm hoping they will tell us sooner than later, especially seeing that it is their 30th anniversary... But totally looking forward to this trip !!!!

Hey Eddie,

I called a couple of hotels and they said that their reservation systems are not geared to take reservations so far out. That is why the 'not available' showed up

I have booked my cruise thru Dan Howell and he always offers a pre-cruise hotel package but has not released the info. yet.

I have never been to Seattle and would love to get a place right in downtown for a couple of days before the cruise. If Dan Howell offers that sort of thing I'm gonna jump on it.

If not, I'm gonna just look for something around the pier.

Like you, I am so bleeping looking forward to this.

Mr. White

I just booked myself for this cruise as well. It will also be my 3rd RSVP after the February Princess cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. Also planning on getting to Seattle a couple days prior and probably a day after to enjoy the Pacific Northwest. Grrrrrr - I am excited about seeing Alaska from sea.

Mr White... I have of course heard of Dan Howell and didn't even rember that I could have booked with him. I know he does great stuff for his people. Will have to remember that in the future. I just called and booked with who ever answered at RSVP... LOL

Thanks also for the info on the hotels. I am going to keep looking at them (we have alot of time)

I also took at look at airfare and found a NonStop round trip flight out of Boston for $399. Im keeping my eyes on that as well.

Gio... Welcome aboard. I am sure you will have a blast on the Feb cruise I almost booked that one !!! But I could only do one and this was screaming at me..... I am so looking forward to something different...

It will be a BLAST !!!!!!!!

Mr White... I have of course heard of Dan Howell and didn't even rember that I could have booked with him. I know he does great stuff for his people. Will have to remember that in the future. I just called and booked with who ever answered at RSVP... LOL

Thanks also for the info on the hotels. I am going to keep looking at them (we have alot of time)

I also took at look at airfare and found a NonStop round trip flight out of Boston for $399. Im keeping my eyes on that as well.

Gio... Welcome aboard. I am sure you will have a blast on the Feb cruise I almost booked that one !!! But I could only do one and this was screaming at me..... I am so looking forward to something different...

It will be a BLAST !!!!!!!!

I have decided to wait for Dan Howell to announce his host hotel for Seattle. I did that last year for the Divina cruise out of Ft. Laud. Worked out real well. I'm thinking of staying another day in Seattle post cruise. May as well - the cheapest fares back to the east coast are all red-eye flights. Can actually get a cheaper flight back to ATL. on Monday at a decent hour and use the money I save for an extra night in Seattle. Win-win.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I are thinking of booking this cruise. It will be my 4th gay cruise. I did two med cruises and a baltic cruise. On each one I always went for a cabin with a veranda. On the baltic cruise I felt it was a waste as it was always too cold to sit out there (aside from leaving a port). For the med cruise it was awesome. I'm torn about what to do for this cruise. I feel that because its likely to be cooler I should just get an inside cabin. My mom who goes on a cruise every year always does that and has no issue. However I'm concerned that it will significantly reduce my enjoyment of the trip. Can I get some feedback from people who have gone the inside cabin route? Especially on an Alaskan cruise.

We did the RSVP Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam and had an obstructed view cabin (on the smaller Amsterdam those are on the Promenade Deck with the wrap-around deck) because it was more affordable and the Amsterdam doesn't have many balcony cabins. We were quite happy with that cabin since we did get some natural light in and we were just a few steps away from the biggest "balcony" on the ship. :)

We always take balcony cabins for Caribbean cruises since it is warmer and we use the balcony; while it may be nice to have one in Alaska I don't think I would spend as much time out on it.

We did the RSVP Hawaii cruise in 2010 and for that we also went with an obstructed view cabin (part of the rescue boat hung outside our cabin). Once again we happy with the choice; there are no sea days on that cruise and it had two overnights in port so not much time to just relax on the balcony.

In both Alaska and Hawaii I think the best views of the scenery are from the upper decks and you can walk around and take it in from all sides.

We have not booked an inside cabin yet, I do like to have some natural light at least.

My husband and I are thinking of booking this cruise. It will be my 4th gay cruise. I did two med cruises and a baltic cruise. On each one I always went for a cabin with a veranda. On the baltic cruise I felt it was a waste as it was always too cold to sit out there (aside from leaving a port). For the med cruise it was awesome. I'm torn about what to do for this cruise. I feel that because its likely to be cooler I should just get an inside cabin. My mom who goes on a cruise every year always does that and has no issue. However I'm concerned that it will significantly reduce my enjoyment of the trip. Can I get some feedback from people who have gone the inside cabin route? Especially on an Alaskan cruise.

Hi there,

I have done a few Caribbean Cruises and one European Cruise. I have had inside cabins for all but one. The one cruise I didn't stay inside was a Southern Caribbean and we had a window not a balcony.

I have never spent much time in my room to feel like I need a balcony and noticed that the time I had a window I never looked out it. I did like the fact that the light came in and you knew it was morning. Just my 2 cents..

But I have to say..... I am so looking forward to this trip !!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked this cruise. Sailed on the RSVP Oosterdam cruise in 2013 and loved the whole Alaskan experience. Can't wait to sail again and do the tours I missed out on due to the many options. The float plane flight and dog sled ride on the glacier is my high priority.

Just booked this cruise. Sailed on the RSVP Oosterdam cruise in 2013 and loved the whole Alaskan experience. Can't wait to sail again and do the tours I missed out on due to the many options. The float plane flight and dog sled ride on the glacier is my high priority.

JamieB21 - I have looked into the float plane ride for this cruise. I thought the cost was a little high but, heck, I'm there and how often does a guy get to fly around in a float plane? The excursion I saw had a leg where the plane landed on a lake for an extended time during the excursion. That would be a plus. I have not seen any dog sled excursions offered from the ports on this cruise. I may not be looking hard enough. That, too, sounds awesome.

Gentlemen, we did this exact cruise (not RSVP) last September and had a great time.

FYI: There is a great gay owned Bed and Breakfast in Seattle we stayed at and enjoyed very much.

The Bacon Mansion Inn

There is one suite with a king, queen, and a pull out (if you are in to that sort of thing.)

Also, I worried myself silly about buying warm clothes before the cruise... every port has good jackets at great prices at the end of the season.

You are tempting me.

We did this cruise last September... same ship, same itinerary.

I felt the same as you re being too cold to enjoy a balcony, and we went with an inside. Actually, we got a silly good price for that cruise and had one of the smallest inside cabins they have... it was still good.

The thing is that it's kind of nice to bundle up with a hot toddy, people watch and enjoy. I enjoy the balcony on warm weather itineraries where I don't have to get dressed to go out and enjoy my time there. Can't do that in cold weather.

I save spending for balconies on the Mexican Riviera.... and the balconies on this specialty cruise are expensive. Whatever you decide will be great! :p

Hey everybody, I just booked this cruise today. I'll be traveling with my buddy, Dave. I did the exact same itinerary on the exact same ship in August 2009. That was my first cruise. Now I'm a bit of a pro. I did take the leap from an interior to an obstructed oceanview cabin.

I'll likely spend all of my time at the pool, as this will be my third Alaska cruise. However, if we manage to embark in Sitka, I will definitely be off the ship. I guess I'm going to have to invest in outfits for all the theme parties. ;)

...I did take the leap from an interior to an obstructed oceanview cabin...

I'm curious why did you choose an oceanview this time around? This is my 5th cruise but my first with an interior room. Hence I am interested to hear why someone who had an interior room and is spending "all their time at the pool" would choose a window cabin.

Hey everybody, I just booked this cruise today. I'll be traveling with my buddy, Dave. I did the exact same itinerary on the exact same ship in August 2009. That was my first cruise. Now I'm a bit of a pro. I did take the leap from an interior to an obstructed oceanview cabin.

I'll likely spend all of my time at the pool, as this will be my third Alaska cruise. However, if we manage to embark in Sitka, I will definitely be off the ship. I guess I'm going to have to invest in outfits for all the theme parties. ;)

Hey Cruiser Bruiser,

I hope you understand that the window cabin is a gateway drug to the balcony cabin! Even people who tend to be out of their cabin most of the day find a great benefit to having a window cabin. Just to check the weather, look at the sunrise/sunset or to, well, have a damn window in their cabin.

Looking at your cruise history you may well have had a window or balcony cabin before - so you may be well aware of how awesome it is to have some natural light in your room.

Since you have been on this itinerary before you know of the awesome excursions offered. This will be my first time on an Alaskan cruise and I know I'm gonna drop some serious cash on excursions.

Edited by Mister White

I'm curious why did you choose an oceanview this time around? This is my 5th cruise but my first with an interior room. Hence I am interested to hear why someone who had an interior room and is spending "all their time at the pool" would choose a window cabin.

We have taken obstructed view cabins (Hawaii and Alaska) when we knew we would not use a balcony that much (port intensive, save some money as both times we did 2 RSVP cruises in 1 year) and we would still get some natural light.

Alaska itineraries and the often colder weather makes pool time less important IMHO. That said, I came back from an Alaska cruise with a tan due to warm days in Sitka and Ketchikan which has early departures.

The honest answer is that it was the cheapest category available. :( If interior was available, I would be there. I have had one balcony cabin so far, two months ago on Norwegian Sun (a mini-suite, actually). It was pretty awesome. I have had a few oceanview cabins, too. I think oceanview is likely my sweet spot. But, I have two studios booked on Epic, and those are necessarily interiors. I'm curious to see what the one-way window out to the corridor contributes to the experience.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Welcome aboard JamieB21, Rteichman & Cruiser Bruiser....

This is going to be a great trip, I'm very much looking forward to it.

I did take a quick glance at some of the itineries and I am loving the dog sled/helicopter ride in Juneau!!!! I am so signing up for that...

I haven't been to Alaska before and I'm not thinking that I will be doing it anytime again soon (too many other places to go) So I want to do some really cool excursions.

Who has ideas on what to do in the other stops?

Edited by Trampalot
wrong name

Welcome aboard JamieB21, Rteichman & Cruiser Bruiser....

This is going to be a great trip, I'm very much looking forward to it.

I did take a quick glance at some of the itineries and I am loving the dog sled/helicopter ride in Juneau!!!! I am so signing up for that...

I haven't been to Alaska before and I'm not thinking that I will be doing it anytime again soon (too many other places to go) So I want to do some really cool excursions.

Who has ideas on what to do in the other stops?

I do know that I want to do a float plane into the fiords and maybe also do helicopter/glacier thing. Several members of my family have either traveled some in Alaska or lived there for some time and they told me they would network with some friends for some suggestions.

I don't think that I will book excursions thru Princess - think I might get a better price booking thru a private tour provider. They will be expensive, though - but I'm willing to pay for it. After all, it will take about $4000 just to get to the boat and back home - so, it's worth the price for the total cruise investment.