"Good Old Days" at Carnival

Lovefuninthesun

Wonder who else saw this article about the Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Festivale --

At the time those ships seemed huge, but was interested to read that they were only about 25,000 tons -- only 1/3 of the current-day Fantasy class ships. Wow!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/09/17/cruise-ship-tours-carnival-classics/15623267/

At the time those ships seemed huge, but was interested to read that they were only about 25,000 tons -- only 1/3 of the current-day Fantasy class ships. Wow!
Yup. Times have changed. My first cruise ever was on the 16,000 ton Cunard Princess and back then I was wowed at how big and modern she was. Today, she is 14 times smaller than the current, largest cruise ship (225,000 tons).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We started on the new builds. Tropicale was something like 36000 tons, and the Holiday class at 48,000 tons. And they were huge!

Yet so much more personal. I swear I got to meet just about everyone one board.

The Fantasy class was a bump up bigger, but manageable.

Once I hit the Destiny Class, it seemed like it was always a sea of endless faces. The personal touch was gone.

And even though I settled on the Spirit class with its layout, the sea if endless faces still continues.

Wonder who else saw this article about the Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Festivale --

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/09/17/cruise-ship-tours-carnival-classics/15623267/

Wow... want an amazing transformation of the "standard" and "expected" cruise ship.

The very first time walking into an Atrium is breath taking. The whole trip is magical.

Actually depends on the ship.

I remember how underwhelmed I was walking onto the Fantasy, with this spinning Coke Can kaleidoscope thingy I the middle, and less than imaginative neon tubing that changed color.

What a stark difference to walking onto the Ecstacy, all vibrant and colorful.

I see in later years, they replaced the Fantasy's Cole can with an atrium bar.