Banana Coast Trujillo

abcs4578

I am on the Jewel Oct 18 out of Houston. I only do the NCL Tours because I know NCL will wait for me if anything kept the Tour from getting back on time. I had the NCL Star tell me that! Alot of my fellow Cruisers prefer to book locally but in Trujillo is a new stop and quite small. I have booked the "Trujillo" Historical Tour!

We are on the Jewel the end of January. There really isn't much out there for Trujillo except the NCL excursions as of yet. I am sure more independent tour operators will pop up after awhile. We booked the Starfish Snorkel and Beach Break through NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victor Bodden (Bodden Tours in Roatan) is going to set up an operation there, from what I heard. We were debating between two Jewel cruises and settled on the one that still goes to Roatan... But, it was reassuring to know there would be a "familiar face" had we gone to Trujillo!

I am taking my family to Tranquility Bay Beach Resort for the day. I am comfortable being in control of our arrival and departure time. The owners are Canadian expats and I am looking forward to experiencing their hospitality.

We've rented a cabana here for the day, can't wait to try it out!

Another note for those wondering about tenders. The ride is supposed to be a short one, like at Grand Cayman. not a long one like Belize. I'll come back and let you know for sure in a few weeks ;)

I (almost) envy those of you going later than I am. We'll be on only the second NCL cruise to stop there, so won't even have the luxury of reading the reviews of the people that visit the week before us.

Edited by Rudyard

Another note for those wondering about tenders. The ride is supposed to be a short one, like at Grand Cayman. not a long one like Belize. I'll come back and let you know for sure in a few weeks ;)

I (almost) envy those of you going later than I am. We'll be on only the second NCL cruise to stop there, so won't even have the luxury of reading the reviews of the people that visit the week before us.

Please do let us know about it. We are cruising there in April.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

I have been traveling for some years to Roatan , Copan and recently to Trujillo as well. There are few other options out there when it comes to locals and tours, the main issue is that the port is privately owned therefore the owner of the port has tried to tie down all tours through his tour company from what I gathered a few months ago that I was down there and with online monopoly comes higher prices.

A bit of information about Trujillo since you wont find much on the net. Trujillo is a small town not much going on there, they have some historical sites and beautiful beaches lots of eco -stuff to do such as nature trails, horse back riding and you get the picture. Ive been to the new port and its a bit on the small side for my taste and not much going on inside yet. I would definitely recommend going to downtown trying some of the local food especially the traditional conch soup. There are a few restaurants in town but I've never been disappointed with my meals in town.

The best hotel around is called the Columbus, Banana Beach is nice as well the rest are a bit more like motels for my taste. Im not much into the rustic charm but to each its own.

Here are a couple links that with articles and tours from a few with online presence. Dont expect to find WIFI everywhere in Trujillo since electricity and cel coverage is very sporadic. I hear there are several tour operators from Roatan which I have used will soon be offering their services in Trujillo such as MC Tours and John Bodden tours. You will surely find independent operators outside but take your translators since english is not widely spoken in Trujillo as it is in Roatan. Most of the independent tour company owners do happen to be expats mostly Canadian.

http://www.honduras.com/trujillo/

http://www.trujillohonduras.com/tourism.htm

http://www.hondurasconcierges.com

http://www.bananacoasttours.net/

Any questions you might have or if you need any suggestions glad to help !

Are any of these local independent tour operators insured and certified? Or are they just mom and pop businesses trying to get a piece of the pie. The guides and equipment that they will use for these tours are they safe? I would love for you to tell me more Caribbean George.

Are any of these local independent tour operators insured and certified? Or are they just mom and pop businesses trying to get a piece of the pie. The guides and equipment that they will use for these tours are they safe? I would love for you to tell me more Caribbean George.

@abcs4578 Im not sure If you get a hold of any of them ask them. I would be lying if I gave you an answer since I havent used any of them. MC Tours and Bodden which operate in Roatan not yet in Trujillo and sell aboard the ships I would be willing to say they have all their stuff in order.

When I cruise I rather make up my own schedule and see what I want to see not what the pre arranged tour shows me following around 100 people like sheep. But some people like the comfort of knowing everything has been pre arranged and taken care of. I personally grab a cab or pre arrange transportation and make the stops I want when I want. I seldomly ask if the cab I grab outside a port is insured but then again im not traveling around with kids.

To each its own! Just trying to put a little more information out there.

When we go to a new port for the first time we like to take a small tour just to look around. We booked HISTORICAL TRUJILLO BY TRAM with the ship. Our tour is set for 11:45. That way we can sleep late, eat a later breakfast, get a later tender and sit on the beach for awhile if we so desire. (I'm not really a beach person).

Anyway, our cruise is December 13th. I hope to read a few reviews before we go, so if you cruise in November, please post a review.

When we go to a new port for the first time we like to take a small tour just to look around. We booked HISTORICAL TRUJILLO BY TRAM with the ship. Our tour is set for 11:45. That way we can sleep late, eat a later breakfast, get a later tender and sit on the beach for awhile if we so desire. (I'm not really a beach person).

Anyway, our cruise is December 13th. I hope to read a few reviews before we go, so if you cruise in November, please post a review.

We've also booked the tram tour as a way to look around the area. After that we figure we'll have some lunch, maybe walk around the town if we like what we see on the tour, then head back to the ship.

@abcs4578 Im not sure If you get a hold of any of them ask them. I would be lying if I gave you an answer since I havent used any of them. MC Tours and Bodden which operate in Roatan not yet in Trujillo and sell aboard the ships I would be willing to say they have all their stuff in order.

Victor Bodden has added Trujillo tours, it looks like. I was looking over his site for a tour to do in Roatan and noticed a TRUILLO TOURS link on his pages.