Help! Travel insurance question

p_toasty

What is the best travel insurance to use for a cruise? Most quotes I have done ask for where I will be holidaying? But am I covered if I get injured in the middle of the ocean when I have not yet arrived at my destination ?

As I don't seem to be able to select that I am on a cruise?

Thanks in advance :)

What is the best travel insurance to use for a cruise? Most quotes I have done ask for where I will be holidaying? But am I covered if I get injured in the middle of the ocean when I have not yet arrived at my destination ?

As I don't seem to be able to select that I am on a cruise?

Thanks in advance :)

Give them a ring or email them

My agent does mine and it's not as expensive as international but slightly higher than Aust only.

Do NOT take Aus only even if you're not leaving Australia as on board treatment is ridiculously expensive and if you needed air lifting.

Our 2nd cruise was Aust only and we were told Aus insurance would be fine.

My wife had a fall and it was going to cost a small fortune for not much more than a band aid and an x-ray.

Until I pointed out that it was their negligence that lead to the fall and it might be better if they didn't charge at all.

Try http://www.insureandgo.com.au/ They have specific cruise insurance plus they cover up to age 100. We've used them 3 times but have never had to claim.

We used them for our Sth Pacific cruise from Sydney and have just signed up with them again for our US trip that includes a cruise over there. They're they only one I could find that has a specific choice for land and cruise plus the cost was really reasonable.

and they have just had a good deal on spreets, I took insurance with them a couple of days ago for my qland and sth pacific cruise. spreets have it as deal of the week this week with a 20% discount, but you need to be quick. The quote is valid for about a month so you can always get a quote while the discount is available and act on it later, after checking out any other companies.

I paid $83 for 15 days and that included a surcharge for pre existing illness. In fact the surcharge was more than the policy. I do only take the basic though, don't bother with luggage, cancellation hire car, cash in hospital etc, as I got the cruise at a great price, I would just wear the loss if I had to cancel, and I take hand luggage only so its always with me when travelling.

I just want to cover for the totally unexpected appendix attack or fall etc when on board/land which could be horrendously expensive. I have insured several times with them but not needed to claim. I did however 3 years ago have to make a claim on southern cross and they were horrendous to deal with so I would stay right away from them.

Edited by Tara Jane

Thank you. I'm only going to NZ but I think I will call them to double check.

Not that I plan to have any accidents except ordering the wrong drink:)

Usually they have a "South Pacific" or similar option - the cheapest international one is the one for NZ.