Snorkel???

Do you bring your own snorkel equipment? We will be cruising for 14 days with 10 different islands and my dilemma is if we rent snorkel equipment for 4 at 1/2 the stops that will add up to some big bucks. But carrying equipment for 4 on the plane, in the room, taxis...well that’s a lot of lugging around we would have to do. Also the space in the bags is at a premium. If you bring your own snorkel equipment where is a cheap place to buy 1/2 decent equipment. How important are the fins? Thanks!

Do you bring your own snorkel equipment? We will be cruising for 14 days with 10 different islands and my dilemma is if we rent snorkel equipment for 4 at 1/2 the stops that will add up to some big bucks. But carrying equipment for 4 on the plane, in the room, taxis...well that’s a lot of lugging around we would have to do. Also the space in the bags is at a premium. If you bring your own snorkel equipment where is a cheap place to buy 1/2 decent equipment. How important are the fins? Thanks!

I recommend getting your own. You will probably end up paying the same and have good CLEAN gear. If you are concerned about space just get masks and snorkels. They pack small. Rent your fins. You might also want to get snorkeling vests if you are not comfortable in the water or rent them. They pack small but cost around $40.

Although you would save money on-line I strongly recommend buying a mask in person at a dive shop. You will get properly fitted. A new mask that leaks is worth nothing. As long as you don't scratch them they last a long time. My mask is 18 years old. You can go anywhere for a snorkel.

Check out http://www.scuba.com and http://www.scubatoys.com for on-line prices for quality equipment and packages.

Enjoy! I took up diving because I love snorkeling so much.

Depending on where you live, the places that sell the gear have huge sales at the end of the year. I got a nice snorkel set for about $40 last year, but w/out fins. I figure that I can rent the fins. I plan on going back to get a snorkel vest this year.

Do a Google for snorkel equipment, you will find many discounters. One thing to consider is a prescription mask, I was able to get one online a few years back for around $60, and what a difference if you need one! We often end up on snorkel boat excursions, where the equipment is included, and in those cases we use their fins and just have our own mask and snorkel, However, if you are going out on your own, you will definitely want to lug the fins along. The net bag is a great idea, in Hawaii, thats what they give you to haul your stuff from island to island when you rent. We also found a large duffle with wheels, bought specifically because the fins will fit in the bottom, then we can pack other stuff on top. We'll use the duffle for the plane, and then the net bag during the cruise.

GET YOUR OWN! It's just much better, and it's not that hard to pack. We take a seperate hardside suitcase for the "beach" stuff like our snorkel gear, towels, etc...

WARNING about a mesh bag. I have a drawstring bag I keep mine in, and it about KILLS my hands to carry. That little string really digs in. My DH has gear that came with a backpack (just big enough for the fins and equip...) and that's PERFECT. I've seen some nice sets at SAMS CLUB.

At the very least get your own snorkel. I've seen how a few of these places DON'T disenfect equipment after each usage. Remember, your not in the good old U.S. of A. and some of these island governments don't live up to our standards of cleanliness. When you have sayings like, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. Two times brown flush it down." I worry about what I'm putting in my mouth.

Besides that, a good dry snorkel can mean the difference between a mouth full of ocean water and maybe just a little taste of it.

Get yourself snorkeling equipment for all the reasons above. Also consider getting your self a mesh snorkel bag that has a strap to sling over your back. It makes the equipment easier to carry.

Just returned from a cruise with our family of 4. Bought our own snorkel and masks from Target for $19.99. Now, we are not snorkel/dive people, but these worked out just fine. My 16 y.o. son became SCUBA certified and used this snorkel and mask to dive. Worked out just fine.

We always take our own. It is cumbersome to carry it all (we have one medium suitcase filled with snorkel gear for 4), but it is worth it cleanliness-wise. You could save room by just getting masks and snorkeling and using rented flippers.

I bought a mask and snorkel from Gander Mountain. I live on a lake and love to see the fish. I also wanted to practice more snorkeling. And to avoid using used masks. I love my mask. I can always rent flippers- but I don't miss them in the lake. Hope that helps.

Archived