If they chose the music based on the crowd-

marshhawk

I am trying to make a little humor out of this-ie, my crowd on the Elation was pretty much 50 and older-cruising in winter without many kids-so if someone asked me what the music would have been based on the crowd, I'm thinking 60's music.

I am sure that some of you have been on a cruise, where you thought based on the average age bracket they would be playing Frank Sinatra.

I am sure Stu is right, that the dj plays what they want to play, but do not be fooled-before you even board the ship, the staffing knows the age demographics of the guests, that's why ususally your dinner companions have something in common with you.;)

Kind of off topic, but the way they matched us with our tablemates last summer kind of freaked me out a little.

We were 3 families ... each had a kid that just graduated from high school and were turning 18 on that cruise. It was trippy, but we had the greatest time.

RE: music ... if they actually played real rap on the lido deck, I would die laughing at the pure shock on people's faces. That would never happen. Lol

What they play is Top 40, which includes a little hip-hop ... and while some of it is really annoying, most of it is fun, upbeat & "dance-y".

I guess for us 40-50 year olds, they should throw in some Foreigner and White Snake and we can all stand around playing air guitar. Lol

Kind of off topic, but the way they matched us with our tablemates last summer kind of freaked me out a little.

We were 3 families ... each had a kid that just graduated from high school and were turning 18 on that cruise. It was trippy, but we had the greatest time.

RE: music ... if they actually played real rap on the lido deck, I would die laughing at the pure shock on people's faces. That would never happen. Lol

What they play is Top 40, which includes a little hip-hop ... and while some of it is really annoying, most of it is fun, upbeat & "dance-y".

I guess for us 40-50 year olds, they should throw in some Foreigner and White Snake and we can all stand around playing air guitar. Lol

Agreed. I'm no fan of rap but I don't mind hip hop and r&b. I never heard any rap by definition on the Lido deck. Most of the music is a variety of top 20/40 from all the charts. The line dances are a mix of really old ones and the new ones that evolve from them. I'm in your age group and agree with everything you said.

Even though I'm an "old fart", I don't really mind most of the crap, excuse me, "music" they play out on Lido, even though I'm MUCH prefer 60's through 80's music, with a bit of BIG BAND thrown in for us real old timers. It's the VOLUME that really bothers me! TURN IT DOWN!

"SKY"

If the DJ noticed he was on a cruise would be a good start, not necessarily the age of the crowd!

On one cruise we were at the meet 'n greet and the DJ was playing something horrible and very LOUD! Everyone was wishing he'd play some island's style music so I went up and asked if he had any Caribbean music. He said "this is Caribbean." ...if you really listened and could hear past the noise, it was! Just couldn't make it out at 180 decibels.

Lol! Exactly.

It wasn't so much what they played, it was how loud it was... Hated it, had to go to the back of the ship as not to hear it...:cool:

We had a good mix of oldies of late-50s to 80s on the inspiration. Could be because of the Styx concert. It was just too loud.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

All these threads about Lido deck music made me so nervous for our first Carnival cruise! I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the music pool side on Fascination.

Our DJ took a lot of requests! Yes, lots of line dancing. Typical Top 40 that seems to be played everywhere...Blurred Lines, Happy, etc. My current fav top 40 that cracks me up...All About the Bass. TONS of country mixed in by request. Southern Rock... Classic Rock. Yes on some Golden Oldies too. It wasn't quiet...but you could have a conversation.

Thumbs up to our DJs!

All these threads about Lido deck music made me so nervous for our first Carnival cruise! I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the music pool side on Fascination.

Our DJ took a lot of requests! Yes, lots of line dancing. Typical Top 40 that seems to be played everywhere...Blurred Lines, Happy, etc. My current fav top 40 that cracks me up...All About the Bass. TONS of country mixed in by request. Southern Rock... Classic Rock. Yes on some Golden Oldies too. It wasn't quiet...but you could have a conversation.

Thumbs up to our DJs!

WOW, that's the exception, rather than the rule! I think they should put that DJ in charge of training all the rest of 'em! ;)

"SKY"

What should they have been playing on the lido deck?

The last cruise I was on was an older crowd, the majority over 50-so I was hoping the dj would have taken that into consideration when he chose what we listened to on the lido deck-perhaps some Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Yes, maybe some zydeco (we sailed from NOLA,)or country or blues,but no, alas we got blasted with hip hop and loud rap.

What should they have been playing on your last cruise?

I don't think the DJ looks out into the Crowd and decides what type music

they will play..............My guess is that they play the same music on every Cruise..over & over...........

..I get my Stir-fry from the Wok.And go inside.

The music is to loud.And most of the music they play I don't like.......

I do wish Carnival would bring back the Steel drums.One Cruise I was on-Fascination the Piano Bar man was out on the Lido around lunch.........

Playing a keyboard & Singing,,,,,,so that was nice..........

I do wish Carnival would bring back the Steel drums.One Cruise I was on-Fascination the Piano Bar man was out on the Lido around lunch.........

Playing a keyboard & Singing,,,,,,so that was nice..........

Apologie to the OP and all of you for a minor thread hijack.... The above situation (plus ASK ME) is a big reason why Carnival is losing a lot of their top piano bar entertainers!!

If I could have picked out the music I might be all over the place. But I mostly listen to classic rock, indie/folk rock, blues, and some electronic (like Ellie Goulding remixes, not Skrillex, lol). Chillstep at night up on the Lido deck would have been pretty cool, IMO.

Thumbs up to our DJs!

This is great to hear, as it's the Fascination again for me in a couple months. Last year on the Fasciantion it was so loud, my friends daughter went over and asked the bar keep to turn it down, the old folks couldn't hear each other, and they did. But when the dj took over, we all had to leave it was way too LOUD!

So,, basically what you're asking is,,,, is it OK to stereotype people based on their race and age to determine what kind of music should be played?

Since I'm white and over 50, that means I want to hear and only listen to a certain type or style of music?

You are wrong.

My playlist on my phone goes from Dean Martin to Kid Rock. From George Strait to Shaggy. Pink Floyd to Lady Gaga. Queen to Blake Shelton. Tupac to Macklemore. Gloria Estefan to Ne-Yo.

Wake up and smell the coffee. There's more to music than Neil Diamond and Joni Mitchell or The Archies.

No that's not what I am saying at all. I didn't mention race at all. I mentioned age of people on your last cruise-what I was trying to do was be a bit humorous, like lots of kids on board under the age of 10, they should have played nursery school songs, but you want to turn it into a race thing? Im part Native American and part white, what do you think I listen to? And who would have thought that Joni Mitchel would put you over the edge. You want me to get real? and smell the coffee? How about your lighten up and laugh once in a while-OH, and I work for a symphony, have been a professional musician, and listen to all sorts of music too. :p

I'm a 60 year old who LOVES Top 40 and Hip-Hop (especially some of the old school stuff - see the link in my sig). I also love to hear Pitbull, Enrique Iglesias, Don Omar, Flo Rida, Calvin Harris, Maroon 5, Miley Cyrus (yes, even Miley), Pink, Train, Iggy Azalea, and so many others. I am in the nightclub every night (usually until closing), and I enjoy the cranked up volume. I'm not the norm, I admit, but I am still ONE of the DJ's demographics.

If the DJ played music based on my looks, s/he would likely play some older stuff that I might listen to, but would NOT get up and dance to. And that's what they are usually trying to do, in the final analysis, get people up to dance (fast, not slow) :) Yes, I am that old guy out there on the Lido doing the Electric Slide, Casper Slide, Cupid Shuffle, and Wobble. I wouldn't want the DJ to change a thing.

And the person who said that The Wobble was 15-20 years old was incorrect. The Electric Slide is that old, but The Wobble is just a couple of years old.

Bob

I wonder if they take requests to play something that will drive the blue hairs away? :p

Part of every post-cruise survey includes a question on types of music you like listening to, and the categories include just about everything including Frank Sinatra to Beatles to Jimmy Buffett to something modern. You can list up to three categories. I imagine the playlists reflect what the target market wants.

Personally, I would prefer a live band on Lido playing a variety, but with an emphasis on anything that sounds like the Caribbean. Otherwise, being 50 something, I love classic rock from the 70s and 80s. I do realize many would not want to listen to that all day long, so they really should consider the crowd. One of the reasons why I love NCL is that they have live bands on Lido and some awesome bands playing in the evenings too. That, and their terrific Platinum perks.

This is great to hear, as it's the Fascination again for me in a couple months. Last year on the Fasciantion it was so loud, my friends daughter went over and asked the bar keep to turn it down, the old folks couldn't hear each other, and they did. But when the dj took over, we all had to leave it was way too LOUD!

When the DJ wasn't in charge, the music was very much background music. Again, I was so surprised after all the hoopla I read here...but this was the one and only experience I've had.

NOW...when the DJ took over...it was loud. But the speakers were only around the stage area, so you could strategically place yourself to where this was more or less in your ear so to speak. The best place to sit for conversation was over by the non-smoking pool side bar tables/chairs. The lounge chairs over there were good too. Well...that's where we were because we don't smoke...

Again...the DJ's had what I would call "sets" because I recognized several. They had blocks of different kinds of music but they were definitely taking requests. The way they talked about playing some of the requests...there was a lot of country and country rock requested...it almost sounded like they were obligated to play certain songs and mix in the requests.

I know for a fact that they can change the set though because I ran over and asked for a particular Latin song during the set that I fondly called the "Zumba" set because those 4-5 songs were all prominent in Zumba playlists...for those that care...Limbo by Daddy Yankee, Danza Kuduro by Don Omar, some Pitbull...and the DJ mixed in my request before the set ended.

IDK if they will have the same DJ's in a couple months. I have my paperwork still, I can look up the names...the one DJ looked like an ex-linebacker to us...there's something about that football physique that is distinctive.