Magic Kingdom with NCL

Xpto

I also live in Orlando and am an annual passholder. The main point of the OP that is important is that she is visiting 3/29- this is not only prime spring break week but also Easter week. If history is anything to go by, all parks will be officially filled to capacity and closed periodically through out the day to all one day visitiors or any one entering through the main parking lots. Last year the parks closed every single day of this week for atleast 2-3 hours. Closures are anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours. Even if there is no issue entering, what would be the point- I've been there under these conditions and even to an experienced Disney lover, it is simply no fun.

A much better use of the time and expense would be to take NCL transportation, take the free Disney transport to Downtown Disney, walk around the Disney shops to get that Disney magic feel and then have dinner at either the Contemporary (Mickey and Friends) or the Grand Floridian (Cinderella and Friends). Dinner service is reservation only and starts at 4:30- even a 5pm reservation would give plenty of time for a relaxed and leisurely dinner and character meeting with plenty of time to make it back to the NCL transportation. In my opinion, it is just a more pleasurable day without the hassles, worries, lines or crowds.

Whatever you choose, have a fantastic day and vacation.

I also live in Orlando and am an annual passholder. The main point of the OP that is important is that she is visiting 3/29- this is not only prime spring break week but also Easter week. If history is anything to go by, all parks will be officially filled to capacity and closed periodically through out the day to all one day visitiors or any one entering through the main parking lots. Last year the parks closed every single day of this week for atleast 2-3 hours. Closures are anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours. Even if there is no issue entering, what would be the point- I've been there under these conditions and even to an experienced Disney lover, it is simply no fun.

A much better use of the time and expense would be to take NCL transportation, take the free Disney transport to Downtown Disney, walk around the Disney shops to get that Disney magic feel and then have dinner at either the Contemporary (Mickey and Friends) or the Grand Floridian (Cinderella and Friends). Dinner service is reservation only and starts at 4:30- even a 5pm reservation would give plenty of time for a relaxed and leisurely dinner and character meeting with plenty of time to make it back to the NCL transportation. In my opinion, it is just a more pleasurable day without the hassles, worries, lines or crowds.

Hi,

You give me a excellent idea.

Do I need a ticket to go to Downtown Disney using the free Disney Bus? If so It's the same of the park? or I need a special ticket?

Hi,

You give me a excellent idea.

Do I need a ticket to go to Downtown Disney using the free Disney Bus? If so It's the same of the park? or I need a special ticket?

lcantw3658's idea is excellent. You will not need a ticket for Downtown Disney or Disney transportation. For a special treat for your daughter you could make a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment for a princess makeover before heading over to the Grand Floridian for the Cinderella and Friends dinner.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/downtown-disney/bibbidi-bobbidi-boutique-downtown/

lcantw3658's idea is excellent. You will not need a ticket for Downtown Disney or Disney transportation. For a special treat for your daughter you could make a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment for a princess makeover before heading over to the Grand Floridian for the Cinderella and Friends dinner.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/downtown-disney/bibbidi-bobbidi-boutique-downtown/

But I'll need a one day ticket to go dinner with the characters?

But I'll need a one day ticket to go dinner with the characters?

No you will not need a park ticket for the Character dinner because it is at one of the Walt Disney World resort hotels. The Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner is at 1900 Park Fare which is in the Grand Floridian Hotel. You will be able to take a Disney bus directly to the hotel from Downtown Disney. After dinner you can take monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center which is where I believe the NCL bus does their pick up. Hopefully, you will have time to explore the hotel because it is absolutely beautiful. :)

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/1900-park-fare/

Edited by hencoll

No you will not need a park ticket for the Character dinner because it is at one of the Walt Disney World resort hotels. The Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner is at 1900 Park Fare which is in the Grand Floridian Hotel. You will be able to take a Disney bus directly to the hotel from Downtown Disney. After dinner you can take monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center which is where I believe the NCL bus does their pick up. Hopefully, you will have time to explore the hotel because it is absolutely beautiful. :)

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/1900-park-fare/

I agree that this is the best idea! Your daughter will be a princess for a day, there will be no stress over getting into a park or not, no stress over getting to meet characters or not, and the Grand Floridian is just gorgeous. It's nice just to sit inside the lobby for a little while, so beautiful! You could also see the castle from some points right outside of the hotel and take pictures with the castle in the background.

The dinner at 1900 Park Fare is a lot of fun. The step sisters and step mother are very funny, and they love it if you joke with them. Cinderella and Prince Charming will also dance with each other periodically, and Cinderella will choose one little boy to dance with as Prince Charming chooses one little girl to dance with. Also the food is good. A very nice character dining experience without the hassle of the parks or having to get a park ticket!

That's a wonderful notice because I have another daughter with 2,5 years at the time of the trip and that way I will be able to take her with us and I'm sure that she will love that.

NCL only charges if we want a seat for her, so I need to see how much that will be but I thing that want be prohibitive and all the family can have the fun of "having" the Disney spirit.

Thanks for your help!

Of course you do realize that after this day, which is a perfect solution for your port day btw, that you will have to then book a trip to Disney right? Lol

May I suggest that you go for as many days as you possibly can?

No trip IMHO is ever too long for Disney!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent Disney advice here, I have stopped going with the grandkids because I can't stand the crowds. Will try some of these tips next time.

Xpto, we warned that Downtown Disney does get packed also during busy times. But at least it doesn't close.

Cinderella's Royal Table is the restaurant inside Cinderella's castle. Another special restaurant to consider is the "Be Our Guest" restaurant which is inside Beast's Enchanted Castle in the new Fantasyland area - it's quick service at lunch. There are 3 rooms to dine in representing rooms in Beast's castle. Each room is unique and the attention to detail will make you feel like you are in the movie. You get to choose where you want to eat. If your excursion is long enough, you may even be able to have an early dinner here as it opens at 4pm.

You will not have time for Be our guest - the lunch line is crazy long and the dinner slots fill up the day they are opened on the scheduling system.

You could set up your 3 fast passes and guarantee 3 rides. There are a few that the lines are not that long while you wait for you fast pass time. Do I think it is worth it - disney cost too much to hurry it and only get 3 rides in. I would save and save and go back in a couple of years (that is my opinion) if you are never to get back at all, then research and make sure you get the most out of your time in the park. I love all things Magic Kingdom. i am willing to answer any questions you have. my question to you is what is the anticipated arrival and departure time for your excusion?

Even Downtown Disney is getting ridiculously crowded these days. Is there anywhere one can go on Disney property without having to fight a crowd? :(

Something else fun to do (I do this every Christmas) is to park at one of the hotels on the lake, take the monorail around and then walk around as much of the lake as possible (between the Polynesian and Grand Floridian). With the right knowledge, one does not even need to pay for parking at the Magic Kingdom parking lot! :)

Excellent Disney advice here, I have stopped going with the grandkids because I can't stand the crowds. Will try some of these tips next time.

Xpto, we warned that Downtown Disney does get packed also during busy times. But at least it doesn't close.

It may not close but finding a parking spot can be very challenging, especially with half the parking lot torn up to build the new parking garage.

Yes Downtown Disney can get crowded and parking can be a challenge but none of that will affect the OP- she will be taking the NCL transportation to the Disney ticketing center and then boarding a free Disney bus to Downtown Disney. Once there, they are free to stroll around and take it all in or as another poster suggested, they can even treat the little ones to Bibidi Bobidi Boutique- or as mine like to call it "Princess Beauty Parlor" where fairy godmothers will do their hair and paint their nails and make them into a magical princess for the day. It can be a bit pricey (depending on what package you select) but it is truly magical to see their faces and create truly lasting memories. They can then spend the rest of their afternoon looking like a princess and then meeting Cinderella. Once at the Grand Floridian for dinner they even get take a ride on the monorail to return to the ticket and transportation center for the NCL bus back to port. If they are anything like my kids, they will have had all the magic of Disney without most of the stresses. Just remember to make reservations for dinner and have a Magical day.

Yes Downtown Disney can get crowded and parking can be a challenge but none of that will affect the OP- she will be taking the NCL transportation to the Disney ticketing center and then boarding a free Disney bus to Downtown Disney. Once there, they are free to stroll around and take it all in or as another poster suggested, they can even treat the little ones to Bibidi Bobidi Boutique- or as mine like to call it "Princess Beauty Parlor" where fairy godmothers will do their hair and paint their nails and make them into a magical princess for the day. It can be a bit pricey (depending on what package you select) but it is truly magical to see their faces and create truly lasting memories. They can then spend the rest of their afternoon looking like a princess and then meeting Cinderella. Once at the Grand Floridian for dinner they even get take a ride on the monorail to return to the ticket and transportation center for the NCL bus back to port. If they are anything like my kids, they will have had all the magic of Disney without most of the stresses. Just remember to make reservations for dinner and have a Magical day.

Exactly! It will be a nice day for the OP and her children.

The Op can make her dining reservation and her BB Boutique reservation at 180 days out. With it being Easter week, I would suggest that you make the reservations on that day exactly.

Edited by hencoll

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm trying to schedule my afternoon on Disney, and I want to book the dinner with Cinderella to 5pm. What is the duration of the dinner at Grand Floridian with the characters? I don't know exactly what time we need to be at transportation center to catch the bus to port, but I suppose that will be more or less at 7:30. Disney advises to keep 1:30h to leave if using the park transportation.

I planned to be at transportation center at 2pm, than using the train to Polynesian Resort and after the bus to Downtown at 2:45-3pm.

Hang around Downtown till 4:30-4:45pm and than catch the bus again to Grand Floridian to dinner at 5pm.

At the end of dinner catch the train to transportation center.

What do you think about that plan?

To get from Downtown to Grand Floridian is a 15 minute ride and that's by car! You have to factor in waiting for the bus to arrive which can sometimes take 10 minutes or so. I would leave at 4-4:15 the latest to get to GF. Honestly I would skip Downtown altogether or have dinner there rather than trying to get back. You're going to spend most of your time on the Disney bus doing this.

Edited by jenny105

The NCL excursion includes admission to one theme park, so you already have a ticket to get in. We did Universal Studios that way on our last cruise and just spent a week at Disney.

If you don't want to fight the crowds at the Magic Kingdom, you could go to Animal Kingdom or Epcot. They have great character meals at Norway in EPCOT & Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Disney Dining takes reservations 6 months in advance, but I don't know what they do for cruise passengers. Chef Mickey at the contemporary is vey nice & right now there are reservations available for the Crystal Palace & the Castle in the Magic Kingdom

Have Fun

You need to either leave earlier from downtown Disney or just take a cab to the grand floridian as they do exist.

Book the absolute earliest dinner at 1900 park faire

Then if you are done in time, which is doubtful as you will need to wait for the characters to come around, just walk around the resort.

The monorail to transportation center

By 7 pm latest.

Don't recall if its one monorail or 2 to the transport center as we usually stay on property

Except for our port stop there in 2013 we rarely need the transport center

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The NCL excursion includes admission to one theme park, so you already have a ticket to get in. We did Universal Studios that way on our last cruise and just spent a week at Disney.

If you don't want to fight the crowds at the Magic Kingdom, you could go to Animal Kingdom or Epcot. They have great character meals at Norway in EPCOT & Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Disney Dining takes reservations 6 months in advance, but I don't know what they do for cruise passengers. Chef Mickey at the contemporary is vey nice & right now there are reservations available for the Crystal Palace & the Castle in the Magic Kingdom

Have Fun

Anyone can make ADR's - you don't need to be a resort guest or have a park ticket (unless you are making an ADR at a park, of course).

The NCL excursion includes admission to one theme park, so you already have a ticket to get in.

Only if you want it. There is also the NCL option where you buy your own ticket. This is useful if you have no expiration tickets from previous visit that you are trying to use up, or simply not going to the park at all.

Hi,

I'm trying to schedule my afternoon on Disney . . .

I planned to be at transportation center at 2pm, than using the train to Polynesian Resort and after the bus to Downtown at 2:45-3pm.

Hang around Downtown till 4:30-4:45pm and than catch the bus again to Grand Floridian to dinner at 5pm. . .

I'm going to strongly suggest that you try to avoid the Downtown Disney area completely during your plans for that day.

There is SO much construction in that area, as it is being transformed in Disney Springs, and the traffic is . . . well . . . quite horrible (even for the Disney transportation vehicles).

Have a great cruise!!

We go to Disneyworld every year (timeshare) and use the DisneyApp to book fast passes for the "must do" rides. Some wait times can be ridiculous (Peter Pan, the new Seven Dwarves Mine Train) so be selective in your choices. I am not a fan of the new Seven Dwarves ride - very short and the train cars are tiny. I fit but the gentleman in front of me stood in line for almost an hour like we did and then he couldn't even ride because his legs would not fit between the bar. So my recommendation is not to waste time on that ride. I would recommend a fast pass for Dumbo, Thunder mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain. Rides with lines that move quickly are the Haunted Mansion (my favorite), its a Small World, and Pirates of the Caribbean. We also love the kiddie roller coaster, the Barnstormer, and the carousel line moves pretty quick too. If you aren't going to have much time there and want to focus more on seeing the park and rides, I would not recommend doing a sit-down meal like Cinderella - save that for another trip.

This is a great idea - along with the boutique. We love Downtown Disney and the Grand Floridian is amazing. I love the shop Basin on the second floor. Good point about the parks hitting capacity. That would be awful to get there but not be able to get in.