Where did you buy that?

Aussie Jeep

In Puerto Limon, Costa Rica we often bring back some trivets made from beautiful local hardwoods. They make great small gifts for friends.

Scott & Karen

Yes, they do! Also, their small animal shaped wooden boxes that can be taken apart like puzzles are great gifts for children. :)

LuLu

Any problems in getting it back through customs?

The OP asked this question with regard to vanilla, but what struck me as I read this thread (other than hunger pangs!) was the thought that there are laws about what agricultural products you can bring into the US. Candy and vacuum-sealed foods are typically OK (not sure about meat even if vacuum-sealed), but I'm not sure about coffee beans, vanilla beans, nutmeg, etc. Those are the types of plants and plant products that could harbor pests we're trying to keep away from US farms.

If you're planning to spend large amounts of money on food products and would be heartbroken if it got confiscated, you should research this topic first and make sure you can bring it back home. Those cute little doggies in the Customs area are trained to sniff out food.