Flightseeing Question

lovetotraveltx

We flew with Michele who owns Island Wings in August. She and her staff were very friendly and Knowledgeable. She made the whole excursion very personal. The plane is very comfortable, there were 6 of us on board, I sat in the co-pilots seat going out. When we landed on water high up into the mountains, the plane moved over to the waters edge and we were able to get out for around 15 mins to take photos. When we got back to base we were all given a dvd as a momento, and then they dropt us of in town with recommendations where to eat. I would highly recommend them.

We flew with Michele who owns Island Wings in August. She and her staff were very friendly and Knowledgeable. She made the whole excursion very personal. The plane is very comfortable, there were 6 of us on board, I sat in the co-pilots seat going out. When we landed on water high up into the mountains, the plane moved over to the waters edge and we were able to get out for around 15 mins to take photos. When we got back to base we were all given a dvd as a momento, and then they dropt us of in town with recommendations where to eat. I would highly recommend them.

Thank you! Can you walk back to the ship from town?

We were booked on a float plane trip earlier this month but fog and mist grounded the planes. The weather for Ketchikan was quiet typical from what I gathered from the locals. It was spitting rain but it didn't rain to the point that you would need an umbrella. The weather lifted and the planes got up but our ship left at 4 so although we hung on to hope it was too late for us. On a 12 day trip of Seattle/Alaska cruise it was the only bad weather day so in all reality we were extremely lucky. In most places that we visited the guides and locals alike were praising the sunshine as August had been wet and cold by all accounts.

If you were doing one flight, would you do Island Wings in Ketchikan to Misty Fjords or something out of Talkeetna, and why? It will be our first and maybe only trip to Alaska and first small flight ever!

Thank you!

We went flightseeing with Steve of Sea Winds Aviation in Ketchikan. Misty Fjords is beautiful. We had a great ride and everyone was so nice. They picked us up at the dock and returned us there.

I'd go for Misty Fjords because of the variety ... glaciers, water, waterfalls, lakes, forest, the harbor, Ketchikan, cruiseships.

Talkeetna is about the mountain; spectacular in its own right, but the scenery isn't as varied.

I've attempted Denali twice ... weathered out both times. So have back up plans for each day. If Misty Fjords get weathered out, hopefully you'll have better luck at Talkeetna.

I'd go for Misty Fjords because of the variety ... glaciers, water, waterfalls, lakes, forest, the harbor, Ketchikan, cruiseships.

Talkeetna is about the mountain; spectacular in its own right, but the scenery isn't as varied.

I've attempted Denali twice ... weathered out both times. So have back up plans for each day. If Misty Fjords get weathered out, hopefully you'll have better luck at Talkeetna.

We hit talkeetna first on our land tour. How bout misty fjords does that cancelled a lot??

Thanks!

We have flown with Michelle of Island Wings twice. Once to Traitor's Cove for bear watching and then to Misty Fjords. She is a true pleasure to fly with and a wonderful host both on and off the plane. If she is available, book her. You will need to book early, because she is so popular. You can see photos from our flights with her on in our review on our website, www.thepreismans.com.

We have flown with Michelle of Island Wings twice. Once to Traitor's Cove for bear watching and then to Misty Fjords. She is a true pleasure to fly with and a wonderful host both on and off the plane. If she is available, book her. You will need to book early, because she is so popular. You can see photos from our flights with her on in our review on our website, www.thepreismans.com.

Saw your good and beverage post. Do you newer ones or can you post new ones after your next cruise? Going on our 1st celebrity cruise in June.

Thank you!

Saw your good and beverage post. Do you newer ones or can you post new ones after your next cruise? Going on our 1st celebrity cruise in June.

Thank you!

I put everything I have on the website. We will be cruising on the Eclipse in October and on the Infinity in November. We will have more menus and food pics for you when those reviews are completed.

I put everything I have on the website. We will be cruising on the Eclipse in October and on the Infinity in November. We will have more menus and food pics for you when those reviews are completed.

Yay! Thank you:) I'm on Millenium but understand mdr and bistro is the same there is just no Olympic

• 2 weeks later...

Most often you do NOT see glaciers on regular Misty Fiords flights.

If you were doing one flight, would you do Island Wings in Ketchikan to Misty Fjords or something out of Talkeetna, and why? It will be our first and maybe only trip to Alaska and first small flight ever!

Thank you!

I have flown both areas many times, and will not suggest one is "better" than the other, it is not.

I instead suggest, if you can not do both, consider all your touring plans and then add the flight where it fits your time best. IF a flight is a must do, then schedule a flight at your first opportunity. No way to predict cancellations. It can happen in either location.

I've done Misty Fjords with Michelle / Island Wings and enjoyed it, along with several flights out of Juneau. Haven't been to Talkeetna so can't comment.

Assuming you are on a cruise on the standard rote and have a stop in Skagway I'd look into a flight over Glacier Bay with Mountain Flying. They are based out of Haines but can do pick ups from Skagway. I did this on my trip this year and thought it was the best flight I've taken, seeing Glacier Bay from the air was really neat after all my visits by sea.