Luggage Forward Service

mountain maid

Anyone have any recent experience with luggage forward? I did a search, but the newest post I could find was from 2012. It sounds great. I would like to use it to ship my luggage from the west coast to Port Everglades. It is a little expensive, but worth the cost to me if I don't have to deal with my luggage. I'm just a little concerned about how reliable this service is. Any experiences good or bad?

Thanks

Anyone have any recent experience with luggage forward? I did a search, but the newest post I could find was from 2012. It sounds great. I would like to use it to ship my luggage from the west coast to Port Everglades. It is a little expensive, but worth the cost to me if I don't have to deal with my luggage. I'm just a little concerned about how reliable this service is. Any experiences good or bad?

Thanks

I have used the service three times, most recently in May 2014, and my pickup for my next cruise is already scheduled. The service has enabled me to travel when circumstances made it impossible for me to handle my own luggage.

My only "problem" has been with scheduled pickup/delivery times, which I have learned to take with a grain of salt. Once the pickup or delivery is scheduled, it is in the hands of the UPS/ FedEx driver, who may for one reason or another (traffic, weather, etc.) alter his route on your scheduled day. They have never been late, but once were two hours early, a potential problem if I am not home, since I live in a secure high rise. I usually plan to give them a generous window of opportunity!

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

I have used the service three times, most recently in May 2014, and my pickup for my next cruise is already scheduled. The service has enabled me to travel when circumstances made it impossible for me to handle my own luggage.

My only "problem" has been with scheduled pickup/delivery times, which I have learned to take with a grain of salt. Once the pickup or delivery is scheduled, it is in the hands of the UPS/ FedEx driver, who may for one reason or another (traffic, weather, etc.) alter his route on your scheduled day. They have never been late, but once were two hours early, a potential problem if I am not home, since I live in a secure high rise. I usually plan to give them a generous window of opportunity!

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

How many days in advance do you schedule your luggage to be picked up? Does it go directly to the ship? Or can one arrange for the luggage to be delivered to a hotel (we always go to embarkation ports 2 - 3 days early)?

What about the end of the cruise?

How many days in advance do you schedule your luggage to be picked up? Does it go directly to the ship? Or can one arrange for the luggage to be delivered to a hotel (we always go to embarkation ports 2 - 3 days early)?

What about the end of the cruise?

I believe there are 3 rate tiers for pickup/deliveries, ranging from approximately two weeks to three days. Holiday times may vary. I usually have mine picked up one week in advance.

Luggage Forward will deliver to any destination you desire, but I usually send it directly to my cabin on the ship and pack a small carryon for pre cruise hotel stays. You will receive an email/text that it has been delivered. Twice my luggage was in the cabin when I arrived, and once it came later in the evening.

At the end of the cruise one puts it out in the hall with the rest of the luggage. The tags are large and unmistakable. Depending on the port and cruise line, one may have to identify the luggage as per standard procedure before it is whisked away by the LF rep. LF will give you detailed instructions; in case of problems, they have a Customer Service number. Once in Miami the LF rep was tied up in traffic; I was instructed to leave it with the NCL Customer Service rep in the terminal. In Montreal on HAL, I never saw my luggage from the time I put it in the hall until it showed up at my door!

Hope this helps.

We are considering using this service on our South American cruise which would mean we would need to ship from the US to Valparaiso and back from Buenos Aires to the US. Has anyone used this service to South America and what did you think?

Thanks for any insight!

WE are using this service for the first time this coming trip. Since DH is no longer able to lift anything heavy, we are not taking any chances.

We are shipping one large bag each to FL before the start of the Grand SA. Since we will be disembarking in Buenos Aires, we are shipping the same back to the US from there. The cost from BA is expensive, but given our circumstances, it is better than having another emergency away from home.

They are quite reputable and I do not anticipate any problems. According to the representative with whom I spoke, there will be someone waiting in BA just past customs to collect the bags that will be shipped back home. It takes about 10 days. Since they will be all the cold weather gear (Antarctica), we will not miss them too much. Besides, we will be spending a few days in BA and Santiago before heading home.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

WE are using this service for the first time this coming trip. Since DH is no longer able to lift anything heavy, we are not taking any chances.

We are shipping one large bag each to FL before the start of the Grand SA. Since we will be disembarking in Buenos Aires, we are shipping the same back to the US from there. The cost from BA is expensive, but given our circumstances, it is better than having another emergency away from home.

They are quite reputable and I do not anticipate any problems. According to the representative with whom I spoke, there will be someone waiting in BA just past customs to collect the bags that will be shipped back home. It takes about 10 days. Since they will be all the cold weather gear (Antarctica), we will not miss them too much. Besides, we will be spending a few days in BA and Santiago before heading home.

Terri

My thoughts, exactly. It came to a choice between not traveling anymore because of back issues or paying for shipping. Guess which one won...