Last minute Valor/Souther Caribbean Questions

sunbird21

Hi,

Ok,so it's not QUITE last minute,but Im T-minus 13 days until my Valor cruise(11 until vacation starts!) and althought I've read MANY amazing reviews(GAPearl,Leo's Rule,PghSteelers,Nicole, and more) I have some last questions about my trip that I could use input on.

I admit,I posted part of this on the Ports of Call board,but after posting two questions there and getting radio silence,I'm trying my luck here.

Question 1:

SJ Itinerary help!

I'm staying at the Sheraton Convention Center which I realize is further away but got an amazing deal. I will be there two days pre cruise, and trying to plan and condense travel costs. I'm debating where to fit in the Bacardi tour- the website says to allow 3-4 hrs, is this accurate?

One option is to go Friday afternoon once I get settled at the hotel,but that's one RT cab cost, about $25 to the pier. The other option is Saturday, attempting to fit it in between a zip line tour(transportation included) and dinner with roll call at Barrachinas at 7 that night. It would save a taxi if I could squeeze in Bacardi in between the two( zip line return is 3-4pm) but don't know if it's a stretch.

Option 3 or 4 is to do it Sunday either before or after I get on the ship,but not sure again if that's cramming too much. So,any thoughts on timing?

Question 2:

Transportation help!

I realize taxis are about $12 a pp- I gfs read that there was a public bus by the hotel, is this feasible to get to Bacardi and/or Barrachinas? Is it safe at night? Is it an option to the pier?

I can rent a car, but parking is $16 a day- anyone know of cheaper parking options near the hotel?

Question 3:

Purchasing and on boarding refreshments

I've read the various reviews and question topics on how to transport refreshments on at this port, and think I have it down, but wondered if the multiple carryons was just the basic wine,soda and water or can you do liquor/gasolinas as well? Also, can you bring on additional packs of soda if you get off the ship after embarking and get back on a couple hrs later?

Question 4:

For previous solo travelers-

Which dining is better for being seated with other solos or just in a group of people?(don't want to be the only add on to a family or a single group of people). I don't mind eating alone if that's the case, but wouldn't mind a mix of people if it can be done without awkwardness. This is my first solo cruise on Carnival.

Question 5:

St Thomas-

Does anyone know if Sapphire Beach has reopened any restroom/food facilities? They had closed when I was there in January, so I went elsewhere, but would like to see this beach if possible due to the fabulous pictures and reviews people keep posting. If not, is Coki or Magen's Bay better?( looking for scenic,decent snorkeling, and some food/restroom services)

Question 6:

St Kitts-

Will any taxi that takes you to ever Shipwreck or Cockleshell Beach goes through that scenic point that allows you to get the phot of the ocean and Caribbean sea?

Also, any thoughts on which beach is better?

Question 7:

Another ship question:

Is it possible to get lounger on a balcony instead of chairs?

I think that's all for now, thanks for any feedback, and thank you again to those who advised me on my balcony upgrade!

I promise in return for any feedback to provide a speedy review upon my return:)

Stacey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent a few hours this afternoon reading Nicole721's review of this cruise and she has tons of information and lots of pictures! The title is The Palm Trees are Really Cool: A Pictorial Review of the Valor's Southern Route. You can look for this and/or put it in the search. It is definitely worth a read and I am sure she would answer any questions you might have after you finish her review.

Thanks, I have read hers before and it answered some questions I had before this,as did the others. however, I haven't really come across any reviews that include the hotel I'm staying at, or that have answered the other questions that I had,so I'm hoping someone will be able to assist!

Thanks, I have read hers before and it answered some questions I had before this,as did the others. however, I haven't really come across any reviews that include the hotel I'm staying at, or that have answered the other questions that I had,so I'm hoping someone will be able to assist!

Okay, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Have a great cruise!

Maybe can answer two of your questions. As for solo dining, my experience I have done late seating and always got seated with other solo cruisers.

Loungers on the balcony, the regular balconies will kind of tight on space as compared to an extended balcony.

I've read on here that Sapphire has bathrooms, etc open again. I think Blue_Water is one who has confirmed this. And some cruise lines have added back a beach day at Sapphire as a ship excursion so all must be well. That is where we are planning to go during our January cruise.

I can try to help regarding the Bacardi tour... we went on the Sunday after we debarked the ship. You take a little ferry over where Barcardi is, it cost .50 and maybe takes 10-15min each way. Then you walk over to a little taxi area and they load you into van taxi's which will take you another 10min or so to the factory. Once you get there you will be given tickets for your samples and for your tour group. You have to wait until your group number is called to take the tour.I think we waited 10min or so, just enough to enjoy our first drink. The tour itself is pretty quick, you take a little tram out to another building where you get some history, they show you a video and then give you a lesson on the history of some of their famous mixed drinks. Then they drop you off in the gift shop and you can get more drinks afterwards. You never actually set foot in any working parts of the factory, its all just for show. It was an ok thing to do to kill time on a horridly hot day, but I wouldn't go nuts trying to fit it in if you can't, you aren't missing a whole lot. That said I would say allow about 3 hours total for it, and most of that is travel time. Also, if I recall correctly, Barrachina's is only a few blocks up from the ferry, so it wouldnt be more than a 5-10min walk from there. Hope this helps...:rolleyes:

Have fun!

see my victory review for pics

Edited by SugarStar00

I would also suggest late seating ... We just got off this cruise yesterday (loved it!) and we had Early Seating and it was not very full/crowded at all. I think this cruise attracts more of a late seating kind of crowd. I would suggest maybe checking in with the Maître D on the first day to check if you are assigned a big table or if you can be switched to one. The first night is Open Seating as you probably know.

Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions!

Have fun :)

Ps ... About the lounger - on a regular balcony you can't fit a lounger. But, the one chair reclines a little, and you could use the other as a footrest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jenng1976

Hi,

Ok,so it's not QUITE last minute,but Im T-minus 13 days until my Valor cruise(11 until vacation starts!) and althought I've read MANY amazing reviews(GAPearl,Leo's Rule,PghSteelers,Nicole, and more) I have some last questions about my trip that I could use input on.

I admit,I posted part of this on the Ports of Call board,but after posting two questions there and getting radio silence,I'm trying my luck here.

Question 1:

SJ Itinerary help!

I'm staying at the Sheraton Convention Center which I realize is further away but got an amazing deal. I will be there two days pre cruise, and trying to plan and condense travel costs. I'm debating where to fit in the Bacardi tour- the website says to allow 3-4 hrs, is this accurate?

One option is to go Friday afternoon once I get settled at the hotel,but that's one RT cab cost, about $25 to the pier. The other option is Saturday, attempting to fit it in between a zip line tour(transportation included) and dinner with roll call at Barrachinas at 7 that night. It would save a taxi if I could squeeze in Bacardi in between the two( zip line return is 3-4pm) but don't know if it's a stretch.

Option 3 or 4 is to do it Sunday either before or after I get on the ship,but not sure again if that's cramming too much. So,any thoughts on timing?

We did the Bacardi tour after we dropped our luggage off on the ship Sunday morning. was also had priority embarking so we were checked in and heading off the ship around 1. It isn't too hard of a trip to do and didn't take more than a couple of hours.

Question 2:

Transportation help!

I realize taxis are about $12 a pp- I gfs read that there was a public bus by the hotel, is this feasible to get to Bacardi and/or Barrachinas? Is it safe at night? Is it an option to the pier?

I can rent a car, but parking is $16 a day- anyone know of cheaper parking options near the hotel?

Not sure about this, we stayed at the Sheraton at the pier and walked from restaurant to hotel at night and were fine. Co-workers who have lived in San Juan recommended that we kept a higher alert when out and about at night though.

Question 3:

Purchasing and on boarding refreshments

I've read the various reviews and question topics on how to transport refreshments on at this port, and think I have it down, but wondered if the multiple carryons was just the basic wine,soda and water or can you do liquor/gasolinas as well? Also, can you bring on additional packs of soda if you get off the ship after embarking and get back on a couple hrs later?

This is an easy port to get multiple bottles of wine on since you can walk on and off very easily and hit the CVS to buy more. The gasolina pouches have been brought on the ship by shipmates in their checked luggage. They would just spread the pouches out throughout their clothes and never had an issue.

Question 4:

For previous solo travelers-

Which dining is better for being seated with other solos or just in a group of people?(don't want to be the only add on to a family or a single group of people). I don't mind eating alone if that's the case, but wouldn't mind a mix of people if it can be done without awkwardness. This is my first solo cruise on Carnival.

Honestly, I would do YTD. Many people are going that route and with this cruise being able to choose when you eat is a blessing! I don't think we ate at the same time twice the entire week. I'm a social person and would probably just chat people up anywhere on the ship to find a table mate for that night. There will probably be a solo cruiser meeting sometime on the ship if you wanted to meet fellow solo cruisers, or hit up the roll call and just put it out there that you are solo and would love to meet up with others for a dinner or two. (we have a solo cruiser in our roll call for this cruise in April who is doing the steakhouse with another couple from the roll call because she did not want to do this alone and asked if anyone would be interested!)

Question 5:

St Thomas-

Does anyone know if Sapphire Beach has reopened any restroom/food facilities? They had closed when I was there in January, so I went elsewhere, but would like to see this beach if possible due to the fabulous pictures and reviews people keep posting. If not, is Coki or Magen's Bay better?( looking for scenic,decent snorkeling, and some food/restroom services)

Not sure about sapphire beach but would love to see this beach once in my life! We were married on Magen's Bay last year and the beach is awesome, calm, has facilities, but it is popular and can get very crowded!

Question 6:

St Kitts-

Will any taxi that takes you to ever Shipwreck or Cockleshell Beach goes through that scenic point that allows you to get the phot of the ocean and Caribbean sea?

Also, any thoughts on which beach is better?

We did cambreola Beach club when at St. Kitts and fell in love with it. I Believe this is South Friars bay. I think our taxi driver drove out of the way to go to the lookout of where the Atlantic and Caribbean meet. Amazing view and was awesome for pictures. Watch out though because I think they have a deal with the small vendors up there for kick backs. They were really pushy with the take pictures with the donkey/monkey/other animals and one gentleman in our taxi was scratched in many places by the monkey.

Question 7:

Another ship question:

Is it possible to get lounger on a balcony instead of chairs?

depends on what balcony you have. We have had ones on our aft/aftwrap/bowlingalley balconies. I don't think they will fit on a normal one. :(

I think that's all for now, thanks for any feedback, and thank you again to those who advised me on my balcony upgrade!

I promise in return for any feedback to provide a speedy review upon my return:)

Stacey

answers are in red above :D

We did this cruise 3 years In a row never felt unsafe at night in San Juan.

I would say to do the ferry over and take the taxi from there to Bacardi, it was 1 dollar for the ferry and 3 for the taxi, last year. We waited about 1 hour for the tour as a Spanish speaking tour was going to be the next to go.

Just stayed at the Convention Center on our Valor trip in May. We really enjoyed the lovely pool area at the hotel. Lively bar at night. We didn't rent a car so I can't help you with parking. Cabs were readily available.

We checked in to the ship and then went out exploring San Juan for the rest of the day. It's very easy to go on and off the ship at this port. I saw a lot of signs for the Bacardi tour right in the port area. I thought the ferry for the tour was right there but maybe I am not remembering accurately.

We went to megans on St thomas. We were the only ship in port that day and it was not crowded at all. Beautiful day.

Great cruise. Enjoy yourself.

Four trips to St Kitts and Cockleshell. Each time we stopped for the spectacular view of the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic from the ridgeline.

We have always enjoyed Cockleshell. Nice views of Nevis. Sadly, Wilbur the Pig passed a few months ago. Always a highlight.

Have a great cruise!

I was going to try and answer some of your questions but noticed they've all been answered. Sapphire beach in St. Thomas is open again, as another poster mentioned. We were on Valor out of San Juan, same itinerary, in May 2013, and spent part of our day in St. Thomas at Sapphire Beach and LOVED it and will definitely recommend it. We also went to Cockleshell beach when we were in St. Kitts. I thought it was really nice, even though it was the rainy day of the cruise. We did stop at the overlook where you can see both the Caribbean and Atlantic side. My pictures didn't come out as nice as so many others I've seen due to the rain. I'm pretty sure the scenic spot, called "Timothy Hill", is between the cruise center and the beaches, so you should get through there. Just to be sure, ask the cab driver if he/she will make a stop. I wish I could help you with the San Juan questions but am not able to. We flew in the day before, got in fairly early, and stayed at a hotel in Isla Verde that was about 5 minutes from the airport. This was our third time to San Juan and I'd never been to a beach, so we spent the whole afternoon at Isla Verde beach at the hotel and got a cab to Valor the next morning. We did get back off the ship and went to the forts. I wanted to try to go back out and get something to smuggle, since it is supposed to be easy, but we didn't.

Our Valor cruise last year has been one of our all time favorites. The scenery is just beautiful and all of the islands are very different in their own way. I remember posting on your other thread about whether to get a balcony or not, and you'll be so happy you did - best itinerary for it. The islands are all mountainous with the exception of Barbados, and there are spectacular view sailing into each port. Not much longer of a wait for you! :) I hope you have a wonderful time.