Experienced canadians cruisers

Du vent dans les voiles

I have booked for years with an online TA in Florida. He can make my bookings in either USD or CND, works his butt off for us, always gives us great OBC, and my preferred way to deal with him is by text which is so convenient - no wait for return emails.

I'm the same way; I live in Nova Scotia and book all my future cruises on board my current cruise. Then Celebrity automatically transfers it to my agent in Florida. As Christine Frances said:

~ I can book in CAD or USD (whichever has the better rate)

~ CruiseCare can be purchased

~ my agency offers me a 10% OBC based on the net cruise fare on top of what Celebrity has already given me.

~ never an issue to contact open weekends; every agent in the agency can access others files so if I want a quick change made if my agent isn't working a co-worker can handle it.

Kicking myself for not doing this years ago...

Jason

I'm the same way; I live in Nova Scotia and book all my future cruises on board my current cruise. Then Celebrity automatically transfers it to my agent in Florida. As Christine Frances said:

~ I can book in CAD or USD (whichever has the better rate)

~ CruiseCare can be purchased

~ my agency offers me a 10% OBC based on the net cruise fare on top of what Celebrity has already given me.

~ never an issue to contact open weekends; every agent in the agency can access others files so if I want a quick change made if my agent isn't working a co-worker can handle it.

Kicking myself for not doing this years ago...

Jason

Do they charge a fee for cancellation? I know some US agencies do.

How did you find them?

Mine has no fees. I found them through many phone calls and a lot of questions. You will know when you find that "one" that works for you ie personality, depth of knowledge. It shouldn't cost you anything to have a TA and there should be no surprises. A good TA will go to war for you if necessary. Celebrity respects their travel partners and I have found, through trial and error, which questions/requests can be handled by X and which has to go through my TA (usually anything financial like upgrades etc). I book my own flights but my TA wants me to email the flights to him so if I have problems he can help.

It is stressful and time consuming but there are good ones out there. That's why I cruise with a bunch of my TA's business cards in my pocket because the topic of good TA's comes up a lot lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We also tried phoning numerous TA's within Ontario. They knew much less about cruise fares and booking incentives and overall knowledge of cruising that I do. It was rather disappointing. Now we deal with an online company. However, I believe I am going to try to convince DH to book our next cruise while onboard in November ;)

Fellow Canadians should look at Medoc travel insurance which is sold by Johnson.ca. Best medical and trip interruption/cancelation insurance out there. We have an annual policy which covers us for unlimited trips of 40 days (at a time) per year for about $26 pm for both of us and DH is a cancer survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I heard about that plan too and heard nothing but good things about it. I too am a cancer survivor so I am worried that when I retire my travel insurance will go up dramatically. I am hoping that it won't...

Do they charge a fee for cancellation? I know some US agencies do.

How did you find them?

do you find you get a better rate on board the cruises? I too am from Nova Scotia (Halifax) and we are looking at booking a trip for next November 2015. We are doing a cruise this November so would it be better to book on board, rather than use our TA?

Hi, I too book through X or a US agency, depending on the exchange rate and perks. I have tried many TA's in Eastern Canada and no one offers perks. I have also found some TA's have very limited knowledge re cruising. One local TA became very upset because I would not buy local but she could not offer perks. So, what's the reason with Cdn. TA's. low comm. low volume, high overhead????

do you find you get a better rate on board the cruises? I too am from Nova Scotia (Halifax) and we are looking at booking a trip for next November 2015. We are doing a cruise this November so would it be better to book on board, rather than use our TA?

Definitely book on board. You get an on board credit if you do. You can also transfer it to travel agent within a given period of time.

I have yet to find THE travel agent! I have tried several. Mostly I leave it with Celebrity. However if I could ever find one that fits the bill, I would definitely use him/her.

Our credit card provides cancellation insurance. There are a few credit cards that do.

They also provide travel health insurance, but only until age 65.

Now we get travel health on a yearly basis. I think we used Universal last year. This year we are using a Quebec company. If anyone is really interested, I can look for the names.

I chose 24 day maximums because we don't travel for longer than that at any given time.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

Fellow Canadians should look at Medoc travel insurance which is sold by Johnson.ca. Best medical and trip interruption/cancelation insurance out there. We have an annual policy which covers us for unlimited trips of 40 days (at a time) per year for about $26 pm for both of us and DH is a cancer survivor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just called and you have to be part of a group (government employee, union etc.) to get this insurance. Looks like a good company, but not available for everyone (including us unfortunately).

Which cruise next November? We're booked on the Eclipse Transatlantic on 01NOV15....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our credit card provides cancellation insurance. There are a few credit cards that do.

They also provide travel health insurance' date=' but only until age 65.

Now we get travel health on a yearly basis. I think we used Universal last year. This year we are using a Quebec company. If anyone is really interested, I can look for the names.

I chose 24 day maximums because we don't travel for longer than that at any given time.[/quote']

Hi:)

I am very interested to know the name of the Quebec company that you are using.

I just booked 11 night ultimate Caribbean on Equinox for Nov 30 2015 with an online American TA. We are CC mid ship. We received free classic drink packages for 2, prepaid gratuities, and $100 obc. It was cheaper than booking through Celebrity and I can book all extras myself through Celebrity. They were only offering pick your perk at the time and the cruise fare was $500 or so more pp through Celebrity. Scored a good deal!!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

I just booked 11 night ultimate Caribbean on Equinox for Nov 30 2015 with an online American TA. We are CC mid ship. We received free classic drink packages for 2, prepaid gratuities, and $100 obc. It was cheaper than booking through Celebrity and I can book all extras myself through Celebrity. They were only offering pick your perk at the time and the cruise fare was $500 or so more pp through Celebrity. Scored a good deal!!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Congrats!

Was your booking in US$ or Cdn?

This is very interesting reading. I do have a question. I have already booked a cruise with a well known TA here and didn't get any perks. I had to initiate the 123Go program with him in order to get that. I was the one that found it by reading about it here on CC. If what I am thinking is correct, other TA's or booking on line can get you OBC or other perks. Can I change my booking to a different TA or with Celebrity and get more stuff? Or am I stuck with the TA I have? I'm not unhappy with the TA that I booked with but I'm not real happy with him either. Any advice? I'm just looking for the biggest bang for my buck.

I try to book onboard if I can but always transfer to my t/a when I get home. We get the perks from Celebrity for booking onboard, choose the bev package and our t/a gives us free grats. She has gone to bat for us a couple of times and has made it more than worth our while. I can either phone her or email and she's always prompt in returning calls/emails and has spent lots of time dealing with Celebrity over the phone, saving me that time! If she's not available, other agents in the office are more than happy to look into our file for us in the meantime. Sounds like Canadian travel agents are getting a bad rap on here and I'd just like to say that there are some good ones out there...I certainly found one! By the way, I'm not a travel agent and mine is not related to me:D Of course, everyone has to do what's best for their situation!

As a reminder I'm posting a pertinent part of Cruise Critic's posting guidelines below.

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Attempts to "hide" a TA reference by using hints or creative spacing of names are also inappropriate and disclose an intent to circumvent our guidelines, so please just don't do it. Thanks.

Edited by Host Walt

Re - Medoc

Awesome Insurance for those that qualify... It is the primary insurance of Canada's Public Servants

But as SPROCKIE stated, it is not a program available to everyone :(

I just called and you have to be part of a group (government employee, union etc.) to get this insurance. Looks like a good company, but not available for everyone (including us unfortunately).

--- --- ---

When purchasing from Celebrity's insurance provider, carefully check out the amount of coverage. The maximum payout for medical is very low if you end up in the hospital.

Agree.

Celebrity Cruise Care pays out I think about $ 10 K for medical... So yes very low (especially a concern for Canadians)*

We take out Cruise Care primarily for their very excellent Cancellation Insurance and in particular their "any reason" clause, where the most you lose out on is 25% of Basic Cruise Fare (the first line on your invoice before Taxes & Fees etc). With "any reason" you get a Cruise Credit for the remaining 75% (if you have a valid medical or other reason under the program... Then you can get up to 100% reimbursement in cash)

I have also read good things here on CC about their Evacuation or Emergency Departure terms where CC Members have had to use them...

And also for coverage / accommodations made for Cruisers by the Cruise Ships when Luggage was lost or did not show up.

* We supplement our Cruise Care Insurance, by annually taking out a Complete Health & Medical Insurance Policy for Canadians Travelling Abroad with CAA. It has much better coverage. And we have the option of buying a 15 Day or 30 Day Out of Country Policy. We look at our travel plans for the upcoming year and buy accordingly (and top up days are available for purchase... Example, if we are going to be out of country on one trip that year for 18 Days, then we just top up our 15 Day Plan with 3 Extra Days).

CAA insurance is quite affordable for those with no existing conditions, or ones that are stable. Prices are tiered by age & conditions.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We have always booked with a big name travel agency here in Nova Scotia. However, I shop around on the online agencies first, then go to our agent who either gives us OBC or a pricing discount which is equivalent to what I could have booked online.

However, I have to ask for the "deal" as it has not been offered as an incentive to book voluntarily. As long as they will match the pricing, I will continue to book with her.