How often does luggage get lost or go missing??

twolittlelovebugs06

Once in a while I've read of someone's luggage falling into the ocean while being loaded or being loaded onto the wrong ship on a busy day, or another pax accidentally taking the wrong bag after disembarking, but it seems rare. Airlines are far worse. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

Only one cruise under our belts so far, haven't lost luggage cruising or flying. We have a family member who did have this problem, however. It was an airline issue and not a cruise one. This couple each packed separately. His luggage made the cruise, hers did not. It was initially promised to be delivered on their first port day. Didn't make it. She went shopping on the ship, and wasn't a happy camper. This was their first Platinum level cruise. She was very unhappily "casual" at the first formal dinner night. Her hubby was pleased he did not have to wear his tux. She said it's the last time she wastes her carry on space packing all of her shoes in there! She finally did get her bag, but not until the second port of call. So, do consider sharing your suitcases with each other, 'just in case'.And, putting enough to get by in your carry-on.

There's a popular online shopping company that starts with "A" that sells Cruise Luggage Tag Holders for very little. You fold up your printed luggage tag as instructed and it fits into the holder with is clear on both sides and just connect it to your luggage. The connector comes with it. I have been using mine for many cruises.

On our first cruise Carnival was posting signs with a photo of a suitcase that apparently went "missing" I guess it never showed up to the people and Carnival had passed out all of the luggage already. Not sure what happened to it and they never updated us. Hopefully it got delivered to the wrong room and it was found, but unfortunately those things do happen.

Carnival has never lost mine but the airlines have kept me scrambling and that is part of the reason I fly the day before. I also tend to only book a direct flight now. What are the chances they lose my luggage that way? Nothing shocks me though. But overall I think the cruise lines do a much better job with luggage than the airlines!

Hey guys, only 10 days left till our first cruise ever!! (But definitely not our last). I am starting to get nervous about lost luggage that never shows up! How often does this really happen? Has anyone never seen their things again??

We are traveling on the Carnival Sensation out of Canaveral, and we have FTTF so I'm wondering if we should just bring our luggage with us? I know if we do that, they have to go through the X-ray scanners (right?) . We are not heavy packers at all so we just have 2 somewhat small suitcases and a carry-on tote/beach bag and my boyfriends backpack.

Should I just relax and trust our luggage to meet us at our cabin safely?? Any tips or past experiences would definitely help me right now! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Over 30 cruises & not one lost luggage as of yet :).If you have FTTF, your luggage might show up earlier than normal so why carry it onboard unless you really want to? We are Platinum & our luggage shows up shortly after we arrived to the cabin.

We have never had a problem but I will say EVERY cruise we have gotten a paper delivered that show missing luggage for several guest. Some never get found.

For about the last 5-6 cruises we have just carried our own luggage on. Figure if I take it off, why not carry it on. We have learned to pack lighter anyway. I also like having my belongings put in place before muster drill.

I had laminated the tags for our luggage but instead of using zip ties or just taping them onto handle with the packing tape, I used twine. The friends I was traveling with got their suitcases right away, but mine never showed up. It looked like luggage delivery was slowing down and no sign of mine. I went down to guest services and there was a pile of about 8 suitcases and bags without tags piled off to the side. I spotted mine right away. Just pulled it back to my cabin with no questions asked. I always use care (and packing tape ) to put room tags on now.