Military Service Credit

dptt

Does Celebrity give on board credit for military service? How does one apply for credit?
They give some very nice military discounts. They are not credits but actual discounts on the price you pay.

You need to watch for them as they are not available for all cruises, and when they are offered, they come and go, much like the senior discounts.

When you are looking for a cruise, if you check the military service box, the discounted price will be shown if there is one being offered.

Availability of Military discounts varies with each cruise, depending on how well the ship is selling. They start/stop with no clear schedule. They usually don't apply to higher Categories, i.e. apply to C3, C2 but not C1, apply to verandas but not Sunset Veranda, etc.

Be aware that promos like "Pick your Perk', 'BEV123GO' are not combinable with military, senior, residency, group discounts. You'll have to compare savings with value of the promo to you.

OFTEN I book early and switch to military rate later when/if it appears, as long as you are outside of final payment date.

Good Luck

Availability of Military discounts varies with each cruise, depending on how well the ship is selling. They start/stop with no clear schedule. They usually don't apply to higher Categories, i.e. apply to C3, C2 but not C1, apply to verandas but not Sunset Veranda, etc.

Be aware that promos like "Pick your Perk', 'BEV123GO' are not combinable with military, senior, residency, group discounts. You'll have to compare savings with value of the promo to you.

OFTEN I book early and switch to military rate later when/if it appears, as long as you are outside of final payment date.

Good Luck

We booked early for our up coming Dec cruise, and then a military rate became available, we got over 1200.00 off. We lost our 123 but with that kind of savings no biggie.:D

I pays to keep checking.

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

Does the military rate require that you are retired military, or just that you served? My wife and I are both USAF vets, but not retired. What type of proof do they require?

If either one of you served over 2 years active duty, you are eligible. Just bring a copy of your DD-214 when you check in.

I've received the military discount on several cruises and was never asked to show anything at check in, but you never know.

The discount varies from cruise to cruise, depending on how much incentive they are giving to fill the ship.

If either one of you served over 2 years active duty, you are eligible. Just bring a copy of your DD-214 when you check in.

I've received the military discount on several cruises and was never asked to show anything at check in, but you never know.

The discount varies from cruise to cruise, depending on how much incentive they are giving to fill the ship.

Same with the law enforcement discount. They never asked for my ID but it was at the ready.

The web site specifically says retired or active. That would leave out those that have served, but not retired. That is also what Celebrity indicated when I called and asked them. Though I do know of people that have marked the box and never been checked by Celebrity.

I have used the discount based on the minimum 2 years of service requirement. This used to be clear on Celebrity's site, but I can't find it right now. I did find the information on RC's site, and it is the same that used to be on Celebrity's. Such a shame this has to be hunted down. I hope someone is able to locate it.

• 1 month later...

Since it appeared there was confusion on who qualifies for military rates, particularly if RCI and Celebrity have different requirements, I decided to see if I could get a clarification. After several back and forth messages I received the below email.

My question was: "I understand RCI gives the military rate to those who have served at least 2 years active duty. Does Celebrity offer the military rate on the same basis?"

Celebrity answered:

"Thank you for your email. We apppreciate the opportunity to respond.

In regards to your inquiry, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Cruises and Royal Caribbean International have the same policy in regards to military rates. Please see below for details.

Military rates are not available on all sailings and are usually not combinable with other offers.

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE or GREEN Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag (active personnel) displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A, or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed RED (Reserve retired personnel) or BLUE (Active Duty retired personnel) Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess a green NDI-75 card (retired personnel) or CF 75 or certificate of discharge. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD214 (NGB 55 Form can be used in place of the DD214) or DD256, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

Spouses of actively deployed military personnel are eligible to book one stateroom as long as the eligible spouse is occupying the stateroom. This rate also applies to all other guests traveling in the same stateroom. Spouses of deceased military personnel are also eligible for the military rate. As proof of eligibility, spouses must present the Pink or Tan Dependent Military ID upon check-in.

All guests traveling in the same stateroom are eligible to receive the military rate. No additional staterooms, other than the one that is occupied by the military person is eligible for the military rate. Parents, in-laws, children or other family members or friends are not eligible for the military rate without the eligible military person occupying the stateroom.

Thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises. We hope to welcome you onboard one of our ships in the near future.

Sincerely,

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative"

The web site specifically says retired or active. That would leave out those that have served, but not retired. That is also what Celebrity indicated when I called and asked them. Though I do know of people that have marked the box and never been checked by Celebrity.

It applies to anyone who has a valid DD-214 -- that, OR an active /retired military ID is all the documentation that is required. :cool:

That is exactly why I pursued the question as to those of us who have served at least 2 years but did not retire.

Regardless of what the Celebrity website (which, of course, is never wrong!) says, I intend to apply for a military rate if it is to my advantage, and rely upon this email if I have to. I think it was probably kicked upstairs because it took several days to get the final response, when the first one was the same day.

Edited by QShip

DH served the requisite amount of time and under the requisite conditions, and we have used the military discount several times. I think all that's needed is a DD-214; if you have that, you're eligible. We always take a copy of the DD-214 but have never been asked to show it at check in.

Betsy

Check often to see if your cruise offers a military discount. The offer sometimes doesn't last for long, sometimes on hours. If you booked through a TA that's closed on weekends, take a screen shot of the military discount offer. The TA should be willing to check with =X=, and you will probably get the discount. Heads up!

Betsy