A few questions re magic 22nd March 15

Jan the City Fan

This will be our first cruise on Carnival, only our 3rd cruise, so relatively newbies. Just me & other half ( ages 55 & 60 ) this time without grand kids.

1) Website says no hairdyers on Magic, several other posts say there are, only a few say they didnt see any. We are in an inside cabin 7302, anyone know if we will be likely to have one, didnt really want to pack extras.

2) Ports are Cozumel, Jamaica & Grand Cayman. Will we be able to use US Dollars or is another currency recommended. ( we are travelling from U.K. & bringing lots of $us for tips etc.)

3) FTTF is sold out, do I just keep checking, do they sometimes release more.

4) We are looking to do Stingrays & beach in Cayman & Irie blue hole & beach in Jamaica, & nice beach & shopping in Cozumel, any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help, love these forums they are so informative & helpful. Xx

Jan

This will be our first cruise on Carnival, only our 3rd cruise, so relatively newbies. Just me & other half ( ages 55 & 60 ) this time without grand kids.

We did this itinerary in 2011 and are doing it again this week. This will be our third trip on the Magic.

1) Website says no hairdyers on Magic, several other posts say there are, only a few say they didnt see any. We are in an inside cabin 7302, anyone know if we will be likely to have one, didnt really want to pack extras.

Yes, there are hair dryers. Be warned they are low wattage and if you have long or thick hair it is going to take some time to dry your hair. But it is one less thing to pack. Bring a sturdy rubber band to help hold the button down. You will understand when you see the dryer.

2) Ports are Cozumel, Jamaica & Grand Cayman. Will we be able to use US Dollars or is another currency recommended. ( we are travelling from U.K. & bringing lots of $us for tips etc.)

Yes you are able to use US dollars in all these ports. Just be sure to clarify when discussing price what currency you will be using to pay for purchases.

Keep checking. FTTF is capacity controlled. IF the sailing doesn't have a high volume of diamond and platinum cruisers they will release additional slots closer to sail date.

4) We are looking to do Stingrays & beach in Cayman & Irie blue hole & beach in Jamaica, & nice beach & shopping in Cozumel, any tips would be very welcome.

I can not give any advise on these excursions. Sorry.

Thanks in advance for any help, love these forums they are so informative & helpful. Xx

Jan

Have a wonderful cruise.

Did this cruise last May. Loved all the ports.

The hair dryer should be in a drawer on the Magic, at least it was in the coves. Works great.

US dollars work fine everywhere we went.

FTTF was sold out for us also, I kept checking several times each day and night. I had it on my phone also, so I could check anytime. About a month before our cruise I was watching TV and checked it, there it was! I threw my phone down and ran to the computer. Got it! Works great for tendering, just head to Guest Services and someone leads you down. So keep checking, hope you get it!

We went to the beach in each port, so can't help you with GC or Jamaica, but Paradise Beach is great in Cozumel.

4) We are looking to do Stingrays & beach in Cayman

n

Look to do that excursion using a private vendor.

Nativewayssports will be so much cheaper then the cruiselines.

PLUS only 25 people compared to the MANY MANY people on carnival excursions.

Look at Sting ray city and Rum Point

1. Yes, there are hairdryers in the drawer of the vanity. In my experience they were fine and I have a lot of hair.

2. We have always been able to use US dollars without issue. I also use credit cards for larger purchases and pay a 3% fee for international usage.

3. I have read that there are sometimes cancellations, so keep checking.

4. Stingrays in GC is really fun. If you are looking for a relaxing day in Cozumel Nachi Cocom is very nice $55 all inclusive for the day (you book through their website). You pay for your own taxi but they limit the amount of folks and it is not crowded. Food and service excellent! Don't know about the place you are going in Jamaica...We have been to Sunset Beach Resort a couple times and we did a catamaran snorkeling excursion through Carnival once and would do either of those again. Jamaica is a beautiful place, go in with a plan...it is not a place I would wander around.

Jan

Thanks Kerry

This site is great for newbies like me , having never been with Carnival & never been to Carribean.

I have been reading lots of tips & plan to book a private tour in Jamaica & Cayman . Lots of recommendations on here. Sounds like a good idea for Cozumel, & seems Taxi's are easy enough to get.

Jan

There are forums here for all ports of call. They can help with ideas and reviews. We are using Peat Taylor to take us tubing and to the blue hole in Jamaica. We're also doing Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Haven't booked anything for GC. Might just see what the locals have to offer. We sail in a week. Woohoo!

Thanks lazyart, I have looked on the port forums, they have some very useful information, so I've just got to decide what we want to do & with with which tour company. Have a fabulous cruise & hope you get to put some of it on here, & any good tips you can give me after your vacation, I love reading the reviews.

Mick, I have registered on the roll call, but didnt realise you can get alerts. Up to now, I dont recall anyone mentioning FTTF on there, but I will have another look. That is probably the best place to, find out from fellow cruisers, I do check most days in the hope some will be released.

I also want to do the cheers programme, I have read that we cant do the first day on cruises out of Texas. On my last cruise I Purchased it in advance on Royal Car, but I can't see anywhere I can do this with Carnival.

Thanks Jan xx

You're welcome and good luck! All of us were newbies at one point :) I used to do a ton of research as I was a single mom traveling with kids for a number of years and wanted to be aware and safe!

Each port pretty much has taxi stations and some even have posted rates to each of the beaches and such. If you go to Nachi in Cozumel you tell your waiter when you are about 15 minutes away from leaving and they will get a cab called for you back to the port. In Jamaica take the JUTA taxis as they are the regulated company there, I think their license plates are red. You go through the shopping area and the taxis are just right outside.

Thanks Kerry

This site is great for newbies like me , having never been with Carnival & never been to Carribean.

I have been reading lots of tips & plan to book a private tour in Jamaica & Cayman . Lots of recommendations on here. Sounds like a good idea for Cozumel, & seems Taxi's are easy enough to get.

Jan

Edited by tkportersat