Help me choose between these 2 hotels in Anchorage

uvasag

I am in the process of booking a room at Anchorage. Our flight lands around 2:45 pm at Anchorage. We plan on a one way rental from Anchorage to Seward. I have IHG reward points and hoping to book a hotel room overnight in Anchorage using those points. They both cost the same amount of points so cost is not a factor. We will be renting the car from downtown Anchorage as opposed to the Airport to save some money. So need the hotel location from where going to downtown is easier. Also, the day we arrive in Anchorage we would prefer restaurants that are in walking distance so we don't spend too much money in cabs etc. We are vegetarians so seafood restaurants won't work for us. Following are the 2 hotels with addresses. Please help.

Crowne Plaza : Anchorage-Midtown

109 W. International Airport RoadAnchorage, AK 99518

Holiday Inn Express : Anchorage

4411 Spenard Road , Anchorage, AK 99517 , United States

Both are several miles from downtown and the restaurant options are limited in those areas and may require quite a walk compared to downtown. I’ve been in the Crowne Plaza and the rooms were nice. The Holiday Inn Express is on the newer side so should be decent too. Spenard Road used to be a bit sketchy but they have cleaned it up in the past several years. If I had to choose between those properties I’d go with the Crowne Plaza. There are several hotels in that area and some have restaurants. If you’re a walker you’ll find the distances manageable. You might try using a maps search and then search nearby for restaurants to see if there is anything that will work for you.

We are flying from Detroit and I think we will be too tired to rent a car and make the 3 hour drive to Seward. Also, from what I've read the drive from Anchorage to Seward is very scenic and you could possibly stop multiple times for wild life or scenery. So I want to stay one night in Anchorage and make the drive to Seward next day. Will map out both the hotels and see what is feasible.

Holiday Inn offers free breakfast which I think is one positive over Crowne Plaza so far but will research some more and decide.

We are flying from Detroit and I think we will be too tired to rent a car and make the 3 hour drive to Seward. Also, from what I've read the drive from Anchorage to Seward is very scenic and you could possibly stop multiple times for wild life or scenery. So I want to stay one night in Anchorage and make the drive to Seward next day. Will map out both the hotels and see what is feasible.

Holiday Inn offers free breakfast which I think is one positive over Crowne Plaza so far but will research some more and decide.

Yes you will be tired (I flew in from Nebraska). Best to stay in a hotel, eat a good meal and get a good night sleep :) You may also have time to walk around Anchorage.

Edited by Coral

• 3 months later...

I found a Microtel by Wyndham that is only very short distance from Airport in Anchorage. They also have a shuttle bus that will pick us up free. Also a free breakfast in the morning and late check out. Also they have coin Laundry. We are using this hotel for only one night. We booked it to give us an extra day in Anchorage before going to the Marriott to start our land tour with Celebrity. Also they are in the middle of doing the carpets and rooms updated. Price was low (half at most other hotels) and they give you military and AARP discounts. perfect for us.

This is weird. We are also flying in from Detroit, spending 1 night in Anchorage and then renting a car from Hertz to drive to Seward. We booked a room at the Voyager Inn because it is right next to the Hertz rental location. Another hotel right next to it is the Hotel Captain Cook. We are getting the car at 8am because we want to stop a few places on the way to Seward. In Seward we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

We booked a room at the Voyager Inn because it is right next to the Hertz rental location. Another hotel right next to it is the Hotel Captain Cook.

Through the years I stayed at at the Voyager Inn a number of times while in Anchorage on business. But I haven't stayed there since the long time owner Stan sold the property several years ago. However, it is right beside the Captain Cook, and I've always enjoyed the breakfasts at the Captain Cook's lobby cafe. Also at the Captain Cook I enjoy Fletcher's, which offers bistro fare and is often overlooked by tourists in the summer.