rare question about if you don´t want apassenger to dismbark??

patry

hi this is a rare question to some but necessary for my familiy..on next summer were are planning a family reunion so my father in law has a sickness that he some times wonder off by himself and my mother in law is scared that he may go out of the ship by himself..he has his 5 sense ok but this wondering is fine in our city but not in some other contry were he doesn´t speak the langugue so here is my question if he doensnt have his sea pass with him they dodn´t let him out of the ship rigth???i have being in 3 cruises but this wasn´t an issued before..can someone help me??? :confused:

On the cruises I've taken since 911 at least, they take your picture when you get on and it's tied to your sail and sign card in the security computer system. When you go to get off, they stick your card into the machine and your picture pops up on the screen. So I would assume they wouldn't let someone off without the card.

What particular ship were you thinking of?

Yes you can if you pay up front. I did this with my son on a cruise. This was with RCCL and she was a minor. I would call and talk to a customer service rep with the cruise line you are using to be sure. Am not sure about adults. I would think thwy could do the same thing for them though. Let me know what you find out.

thanks for your concern but as know he is still in good ¨condition¨to defense himself the thing is not that when he ¨wonders¨he doesn¨t remeber where he is or his name the thing is that he doen´t measure himself thinking that going out by himself in a strnge contru without knowing the langue would be a problem

I know exactly what you mean. My mother in law has alzheimers and she thinks my husband is somebody she went to school with. She can't be left alone, not even for a minute. She might decide to cook and not turn off the stove, or go outside the house and wander around. Being in a strange place will even make your father in law more confused. He shouldn't be left alone. The staff will not make sure he stays on the ship. If he tries to get off and doesn't have his seapass, they will show him how to get a replacement and then let him off the ship. Watching him is not their job.

I think you should take turns staying with your Father in Law on the Ship. He cannot get off without his card but I would be afraid something could happen to him. It sounds like He is in his own world. I know you all want to have a good time and not have to baby sit but what if something should happen to him. You would all feel terrible. Be very careful of Him especially when you are at sea. I am sure under the circumstances, you would be allowed to designate an amount on His Sign and Sail Card. I would call your TA or talk to somebody in Customer Service at RCL. Hope you and your Father in Law have a very Happy Cruise and many Happy memories. It is so nice You are taking Him along. Ike

I would think you could tell someone either at check in or at the pursers desk that you want to set a spending limit on his sea pass. Certainly if you give them cash instead of a credit card he will only be allowed to spend up to what amount of cash was put on his card. If he runs out of funds you can add more cash to it at the pursers desk.

I'm not sure if your Dad has Alzheimer's, but BOTH my Mom and Dad have it.

Dad is very lucid, and handles all their affairs pretty well, but gets very confused about two things:

following written or verbal instructions

directions and getting lost

These are the two worst problems on a cruise ship, IMO, because as we know, almost EVERYBODY gets lost on a cruise ship. I think these could be a big problem if that's how your Dad is manifesting the disease. I think having a companion is a good idea, too.

thnaks to everyone for your replies he doensn´t have alzimers he hasa disease that he frotal lobe (in his head) is not function well so he knows where he is and everything but he still thinks that he can do what ever he wntas and sometimes he doen´t take wise decisions...iam trying to help my husband family so they can get as much info in taking the decioson if he goes in the trip or not ..againg thanks alot

Although I can understand you wanting to go on vacation with your father in law. Please ,either make sure that you have a person stay with him while others enjoy or could you possibly bring a friend or aide to stay with him while the family does other things. I notice your from Colombia and if you brought someone that was familiar or that could converse with him easily while you were out and about I think it could make it easier for him. I think the cost would be well worth in terms of your peace of mind. I hope you figure it out and are able to make arrangements.

Archived