I'm rather irritated with NCL right now.

cruisecritiquer

When I first made our reservation, I booked 1 mini-suite and 1 inside cabin. We received a $70 on-board credit with our mini-suite (in my name) and $0 with our inside (obviously) (in DH's name). A few weeks ago we decided to upgrade the inside and at the time of our upgrade NCL was offering an on board credit for a mini-suite of $100.00. I haven't logged into DH's account much but today I noticed we received no on board credit for the upgrade. I know you all are great at finding terms and conditions so is it written somewhere that if you upgrade to another cabin category, you receive no on board credit with it. I actually posted about the fact that when we upgraded I got such a grade deal because I was considering the net difference between our current cabin category and the mini-suite category (considering the on board credit). At that time, I didn't realize we didn't even receive it. Jokes on me! :o It's not a HUGE deal except that I still have a sour taste in my mouth from them previously offering an on board credit where thereafter they found some way to take it back.

For example, prior to booking this cruise, we were scheduled for that ill-fated 11 day itinerary on the Pearl that resulted in a charter this fall. When we received our letter saying it was being chartered, we were told if we booked another cruise we'd receive an on board credit of $50.00 (and they did give it to us). But, if I remember correctly, when they had the kids sail free promotion and we added it to our itinerary, they took the $50.00 on board credit back. That irritated me because that $50.00 had nothing to do with whatever perks/benefits came with booking that room. The $50.00 was supposed to be compensation for them snatching vacation plans out from under us. :p

So, at this point, I feel like I've been cheated out of $150.00 on board credit and I'm really irritated about it. On neither occasion were we informed that a change would result in no credit for the upgrade or lost credit for adding a promotion to our reservation.

I know there are a lot of NCL defense attorneys on here (and frankly many times I'm one of them) and I admit that I don't know all the ins and outs of their policies like some of you do ....(this is certainly one of those "the more you know" situations) but it would have been nice if I would have been informed of all of this instead of finding it out by logging into my NCL account. I'm seriously considering booking through a TA going forward. The only reason I haven't is because my PCC is absolutely outstanding (he is not the one responsible for the lack of communication).

We leave in 29 days and this will NOT dampen our cruise at all...I just needed to vent and I generally have nothing to complain about where NCL is concerned. I guess I just have to live with the fact that they giveth and they taketh away or they are tight-lipped about their intent not to giveth. :(

Honestly, I guess this latest incident wouldn't have been so aggravating if I wasn't still frustrated with them taking away the on board credit for the Pearl cruise.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I had the same thing happen where they took away a $25 move-over credit when I did a last minute upgrade. This was before credits like this were shown on MyNCL, so I had no clue that it was gone. When it did not appear on my folio on day 2, I showed guest services the letter from NCL about the move-over credit. It was really difficult to discuss this with guest services since I had some World Perk points and OBC from my TA in addition to this credit. They made a copy of my move-over credit letter and contacted the Miami office. By day 3 they had reinstated the credit.

Long story short, you still have loads of time to contact NCL and talk with a Supervisor. Can your PCC help advocate this for you?

We booked a cruise with Princess on the GRAND PRINCESS to Alaska. We were booked in a Window Suite and got a $50.00 cabin credit. About 7 months later, we decided to spend an additional $1500.00 and upgrade to a larger suite with a balcony. Princess took away our WHOPPING $50.00 credit. We spent $1500.00 MORE with them...and they took away fifty bucks. IT HAPPENS. Its not just NCL. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and enjoy your cruise. We did.

One more sad example here with a different cruise line. We were booked for a balcony and upgraded to a mini-suite and lost $150 on board credit. We were never told by our TA that this would happen and so we found another TA. Lesson learned!

Edited by CTBob

Honestly, I guess this latest incident wouldn't have been so aggravating if I wasn't still frustrated with them taking away the on board credit for the Pearl cruise.
I really think you have a good chance of getting that $50 reinstated. It's already a such a small gesture for having your Pearl cruise cancelled (I wonder how much more money they made when they resold your cabin for the charter?), there's really no excuse not to honor it. I'd like to believe it was just an oversight, since it's an exceptional credit that probably requires some special attention and some extra keystrokes every time your booking is modified.

I really think you have a good chance of getting that $50 reinstated. It's already a such a small gesture for having your Pearl cruise cancelled (I wonder how much more money they made when they resold your cabin for the charter?), there's really no excuse not to honor it. I'd like to believe it was just an oversight, since it's an exceptional credit that probably requires some special attention and some extra keystrokes every time your booking is modified.

I don't know who to ask? I talked to my PCC who said he talked to the "fulfillment desk" or something like that and they said no. That was a long time ago though...

The original letter came like this:

Dear Valued Guest:

Norwegian Pearl will be out of service from October 30, 2014 to November 20, 2014 because of a private charter. As a result,

the following sailings are no longer available:

- 11-Day Southern Caribbean from Miami on October 30, 2014

- 21-Day Southern & Eastern Caribbean from Miami on October 30, 2014

- 10-Day Eastern Caribbean from Miami on November 10, 2014

- 21-Day Southern & Eastern Caribbean from Miami on November 10, 2014

We look forward to welcoming you aboard our beautiful ships and are pleased to provide you the opportunity to select any

available sailing in our fleet from now until December 31, 2014 and your cruise fare will be re-priced to the current published

fare. In addition, we will include a $50 per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship (excluding

service charges). If you are currently booked in a suite (category codes that begin with S), we are pleased to include a $100

per stateroom on-board credit to be used on any expenditure on the ship (excluding service charges).

We look forward to hearing from you by Tuesday, November 12, 2013 so that we can modify your reservation. If we do not

hear from you reservations will be automatically cancelled and deposits will be refunded. We are standing by to assist you on

our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Passenger Services

We were on the 11 day on October 30, 2014. I also tried calling that number back then and that department also said no.

One more sad example here with a different cruise line. We were booked for a balcony and upgraded to a mini-suite and lost $150 on board credit. We were never told by our TA that this would happen and so we found another TA. Lesson learned!

I just think that's ridiculous. You spend more money with them and they take on board credit away. That's just crazy to me.

I don't know who to ask? I talked to my PCC who said he talked to the "fulfillment desk" or something like that and they said no.
:mad: I would hesitate to waste a lot more time over $50 but I would be very disappointed in my PCC and in NCL. It doesn't say anywhere in your letter that there are any restrictions on this $50, and there should not be. What a (double) slap in the face. Edited by hawkeyetlse

My husband just reminded me that my OP wasn't entirely accurate. It was a long time ago so I thought we lost the on board credit because of the KSF promotion. However, I now recall that when they cancelled the Pearl, we had a very limited time to make a decision about what cruise would replace it. We received the letter about 9 days before they wanted an answer. Unfortunately, we both work so just booking something and rolling with it doesn't work for us, we both would have to put in for leave and wait for approval. Not wanting to lose the on board credit we went ahead and booked a later itinerary on the Pearl by NCL's deadline. But, when DH's schedule wouldn't work with that itinerary, we cancelled that reservation and rebooked on the Getaway. That's why we lost the on board credit...because we changed itineraries again after they gave it to us. But, I still think that's unfair. I'm sorry for my initial poor recollection. Until I read the letter again I just posted and talked to DH, I assumed it was due to the KSF promotion.

:mad: I would hesitate to waste a lot more time over $50 but I would be very disappointed in my PCC and in NCL. It doesn't say anywhere in your letter that there are any restrictions on this $50, and there should not be. What a (double) slap in the face.

I agree. It doesn't make sense to waste time over it. I guess I'm just stuck on the principle of the issue rather than the finances themselves. But, still, it's not worth crying over spilt milk. It just definitely will make me more aware of my transactions with NCL. I know they are a business so their goal is to always find ways to save even if it means being trivial with their OBC.

I agree. It doesn't make sense to waste time over it. I guess I'm just stuck on the principle of the issue rather than the finances themselves. But, still, it's not worth crying over spilt milk. It just definitely will make me more aware of my transactions with NCL. I know they are a business so their goal is to always find ways to save even if it means being trivial with their OBC.

I don't think it's their goal to find ways to save via rescinding OBC, I think it was just the simple fact that when you cancel and re-book... you are subject to the offers that are currently available to you and not what was available at the original booking time unfortunately. Usually this can have a dramatic impact and usually the PCC will inform you of such changes if they are significant, and sometimes it actually works in YOUR favor as opposed to what happened in your case.

Over the years, it's just one more wrinkle you have to remember if you are making changes to your booking...

I don't think it's their goal to find ways to save via rescinding OBC, I think it was just the simple fact that when you cancel and re-book... you are subject to the offers that are currently available to you and not what was available at the original booking time unfortunately. Usually this can have a dramatic impact and usually the PCC will inform you of such changes if they are significant, and sometimes it actually works in YOUR favor as opposed to what happened in your case.

Over the years, it's just one more wrinkle you have to remember if you are making changes to your booking...

I agree except that this offer wasn't associated with the cabin. It was compensation for chartering the Pearl and cancelling our cruise. That fact did not change so why take away the OBC? But, I understand your point.

A good PCC will tell you what are losing or if you are getting a better deal when you make changes. I will often just email my PCC and say hey is this dash sale a better deal for me... sometimes it is...sometimes it isnt.

Well, that's my problem. Any incident that has ever gone wrong has been because I had someone else "fix" my reservation when the PCC was out of the office. My PCC is awesome. He has fussed at me (in a nice way) for changing things by talking to another NCL rep and then expecting him to fix it. :o But, I'm always concerned I'll miss out on the opportunity if I don't do it right away. You don't always have 24 hours to make a move. I am learning.

I guess I'm just stuck on the principle of the issue rather than the finances themselves.
I'm with you. In fact, I'm less outraged about the $100 mini-suite OBC offer that you didn't get, since it's a booking modification that you initiated, and as others have said, you have to ask all the important questions before you allow anyone to make any changes. It should still be possible for you to revert those changes and go back to the inside cabin if you feel that the upgrade wasn't worth it after all. Actually, mention this possibility to your PCC and see if they aren't suddenly inclined to be a little more generous.

I'm still infuriated on your behalf about the $50, though, and in general I am dismayed at people's stories of how stingy the cruise lines are when they do this to their customers. I know they gave you plenty of warning, but looking at the dates in your letter, they expected you to switch to an earlier cruise. Knowing that people who booked that far in advance probably wouldn't be able to do that. Or somehow squeeze in a cruise in the last few weeks of 2014. So they get away with ruining thousands of people's holiday plans, offering paltry compensation that they know they will never have to pay out in many cases, and then raking in all that sweet, sweet charter profit. :mad::mad::mad:

I understand the loss of the OBC for your upgrade because you were after final payment and couldn't cancel your inside cabin without penalty. The other OBC is worth calling the customer relations dept and seeing if they will reinstate it for you.

I've contact my PCC and the number on the letter. Both said no. Is there another number?

OBC is just a smoke and mirrors sales/marketing deal.

They could sell the cabin for

a) $800 and $50 OBC

or

b) $750 and no OBC

or

c) $850 and and $100 OBC

Does not matter as they are all a $750 room when you are all done. I just made up a number for this example.

Sometimes they offer an OBC. Sometimes they don't. When you "rebook" they work off CURRENT pricing for the requested cabin. Usually pretty straightforward stuff.

I don't have any advice, BUT..... I'm actually surprised that all they offered is $50 obc for cancelling your cruise plans.

I would be so very, very upset if that happened to me. People often plan these trips months and months in advance. And oftentimes working with several family members or friends, scheduling their work schedules, flights, arranging for childcare for their kids......and on and on.

And what happens if you already have your air fare planned and paid for? Can you even get your $$ back when you have to cancel or reschedule your flights to do a different cruise date????

I just think $50 isn't even a drop in the bucket as an offering for the inconvenience of cancelling a person's cruise.

I'm also really curious...... And I feel a bit silly for asking..... But people really charter out a whole entire cruise ship????? What type of group would do that??? That is a whole lot of cabins to charter.

I don't have any advice, BUT..... I'm actually surprised that all they offered is $50 obc for cancelling your cruise plans.

I would be so very, very upset if that happened to me. People often plan these trips months and months in advance. And oftentimes working with several family members or friends, scheduling their work schedules, flights, arranging for childcare for their kids......and on and on.

And what happens if you already have your air fare planned and paid for? Can you even get your $$ back when you have to cancel or reschedule your flights to do a different cruise date????

I just think $50 isn't even a drop in the bucket as an offering for the inconvenience of cancelling a person's cruise.

I'm also really curious...... And I feel a bit silly for asking..... But people really charter out a whole entire cruise ship????? What type of group would do that??? That is a whole lot of cabins to charter.

Here's a link to current charters:

http://www.ncl.com/theme-cruises

I don't know if trip insurance would cover airfare for a cruise that the corporate office decides to cancel. We are aware that the Pearl is frequently the subject of charters so we do not book on her a year out anymore.

Here's a link to current charters:

http://www.ncl.com/theme-cruises

I don't know if trip insurance would cover airfare for a cruise that the corporate office decides to cancel. We are aware that the Pearl is frequently the subject of charters so we do not book on her a year out anymore.

You will get it back .. Plead your case to Guest relations.. At the very least the $50.. that wasnt plain OBC , it was compensation ..

guestrelations@ncl.com

You will get it back .. Plead your case to Guest relations.. At the very least the $50.. that wasnt plain OBC , it was compensation ..

guestrelations@ncl.com

Okay. I'll send an email and let you know what happens. Thanks!

ETA: This was the reply.

"You have reached a mailbox that is not monitored, please call 1-866-625-1164 for assistance"

Yes, they do charter the entire ship. In this case they gave notice a year in advance. We were booked on the same cruise on 10/30/14. We rebooked on the 11/20/14 sailing.