Cruise planning "meeting", what should we cover?

Jessie2013

You don't have to discuss this in a pre cruise planning meeting, but when you get on the ship be sure to show them how the phone works. You can call each other's cabins at any time and leave a message, so they should know how to listen to the phone messages if the light is blinking. Stickies on your door can be used to communicate as well.

I bought a pendant in St. Thomas and there was no fee. Currency is in U.S. dollars so there's no conversion. If you plan to buy jewelry there, do NOT accept the first offer. I think I took that pendant off and turned to walk out of the store three times before I got them to the price I wanted. even then, I wouldn't say it was a bargain, just a very nice piece I really wanted at a decent price.

Explain to your in-laws that many of the programs the CD offers are just sales pitches for the stores with which the cruise line has (lucrative for them) relationships. OTOH, we forgot our watches on our cruise last winter and picked up two $10 watches that are fairly attractive and still running. They might enjoy the bargain shopping.

Fill them in about dining. People find it hard to believe that you can order as much as you want. Convince them that it's true they can order several of each course, make a meal out of just appetizers, or get ice cream on your dessert, even if it doesn't say "a la mode" on the menu.

Tell them about formal night, how you plan to dress and discuss the options so they feel comfortable.

I really would send them to the Cruise Critic first-time cruisers board. I found it about a week before my first cruise and think I spent two solid days reading it. By the time you leave, they'll be telling you what's what. If they're newly retired, they might have time to become addicted.

We went to the butterfly farm in St. Maartin and found it very interesting, if you like that type of thing. It was very hot, though.

I think it's lovely that you're giving your in-laws this wonderful present.

In St. Maarten I really like Bernard's Tours. There are plenty of stops for a young child to counteract boredom. I like the shopping tour, you stop in both the French and Dutch side and it really gives you great exposure to the island. They are really reasonable priced too. Just Google Bernard's Tours and you can see what they have to offer.

This won't apply to the OP since they are traveling together but good info for experienced cruisers who are helping novice cruisers. A couple from work were taking their first cruise and pumped me for information for about 6 months. I thought I had relayed everything they would need to know on the ship and suggested excursions in all the ports. Was shocked when they returned and told me they didn't realize until the last day that they could eat in the MDR for free. They had been eating in the buffet for the first 6 days. I was so embarrassed that I had not talked about the different dining options.

I'd focus on the upfront stuff first.

The importance of Insurance.

Having all documents in order.

Notifying credit card company of travel.

Adding an international plan to a phone for cheaper in-port calls.

Then I would branch out to setting expectations, packing, and actual cruise planning.

And no CC endorsed cruise planning meeting would be complete until you discuss tipping, smoking, and chair hogging in detail.

There are so many good suggestions. I guess one that has been said by several that speaks to me (because we usually travel in packs) is that there are so many options of what to do on a cruise. We don't need to spend every activity together. You may want to and that's great. But I done like bingo but some family members love it. I like sitting in the shade and others prefer full sun. When I travel with my parents I think sometimes they feel like they need to do what we want (we also pay for them). It took us a couple cruises to get in the groove of everyone being ok without spending every minute together.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Definitely include safety. There was chaos when the Concordia went down. Carry copies of id with you at all times. I will not let myself and family be herded indoors during an emergency. The idea that a ship in crisis will serenely go below the waves even keeled while all aboard go to their muster station in an orderly fashion is pure fantasy.

So you and your family will be among those contributing to the chaos... One of the major problems with the Concordia is that no muster drill had been performed before the ship ran aground.

We are sailing on the Freedom in mid-December with my 4 year old son & my in-laws. Hubby & I have cruised before but my in-laws are having a difficult time envisioning the concept of a cruise experience. They have never really traveled much (we took them to Florida with us a few years ago for the first time in their lives), so even trying to compare it to an all-inclusive resort on water isn't helpful to them, as they've never been to such a place.

We have a very busy few months ahead of us, so we are all getting together tomorrow to have a cruise planning "meeting". What kind of things should we go over (aside from the obvious- excursions) with them? As a couple who have cruised many times before, it's tough for me to think of the things that a newbie would need/want to know when they don't have specific questions- they are just totally clueless :)

A few questions that I have related to our planning:

On the freedom- what is open for embarkation day for lunch?

Which specialty restaurant is preferred on FOS?

I've never been on FOS and have only cruised RCCL once, so I'm sure there will be plenty for me to learn! Thanks!

I think choice of restaurants is something that can wait until you're on board. I agree with the poster who commented that you should avoid bombarding them with too much information. Instead, focus on things that they should do ahead of the cruise:

- Necessary documentation

- Packing -- give them a suggested list

- Travel to port plans

- Process of embarkation

- Money /cost of things onboard

- Activities onboard -- print off old newsletters so they can review them later at home

For a newbie, this is a good bit to take in at once. When my parents cruised for the first time, the #1 thing they wanted to know about was embarkation. That was the one thing about which they weren't clear from reading their cruise contract.