Internet Speed and Usage on Reflection

CruisingWithMyHoney

8 hours ago, Margolf said:

Does anyone have any update to this thread after the rollout of Starlink? Is the travel router option still viable? Trying to circumvent the 5mbps throttled speeds for premium. Thanks all!

Yes Reflection has Starllink.  Can you get around the Speed Cap on premium? -- No   Use of a travel router and VPN will slow your connection down further.     It's like a faucet -  if it is turned down your no going to get any more water out of it regardless of nozzle. 

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes Reflection has Starllink.  Can you get around the Speed Cap on premium? -- No   Use of a travel router and VPN will slow your connection down further.     It's like a faucet -  if it is turned down your no going to get any more water out of it regardless of nozzle. 

Thanks Jim. I'm getting the sense that there is no way to boost internet speeds even if you took the ethernet cable from the iLounge onboard one of their computers...very disappointing.

Just now, Margolf said:

Thanks Jim. I'm getting the sense that there is no way to boost internet speeds even if you took the ethernet cable from the iLounge onboard one of their computers...very disappointing.

I was on a ship when they went live with Starlink.    It was a B2B.   The first cruise they weren't advertising but Starlink was totally unthrottled.   I was getting speeds up to 100 MPS up and down.   The next week --- Max 5 Down and 2.5-3 Upload.

What exactly are you wanting to do from the ship?     I always bring my Firestick with us and have no problem streaming YouTubeTV, Netflix etc.   I've also done numerous Zoom Calls and regularly use Voip Phone.

I do alot of uploads for my live posts and while a bit slow is not a show stopper.

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was on a ship when they went live with Starlink.    It was a B2B.   The first cruise they weren't advertising but Starlink was totally unthrottled.   I was getting speeds up to 100 MPS up and down.   The next week --- Max 5 Down and 2.5-3 Upload.

What exactly are you wanting to do from the ship?     I always bring my Firestick with us and have no problem streaming YouTubeTV, Netflix etc.   I've also done numerous Zoom Calls and regularly use Voip Phone.

I do alot of uploads for my live posts and while a bit slow is not a show stopper.

I have several Microsoft Teams calls that I'm trying to take while on the ship. I think I would need at least 10 down for it to be stable. One call has over a hundred participants so again, I'm quite worried about the functionality of the wifi with throttled speeds. Thanks for chiming in here. I've been doing as much research as I can. Doesn't appear to be anyone on the RCL or Celebrity side willing to help me out.

On 8/14/2024 at 4:42 PM, Margolf said:

I have several Microsoft Teams calls that I'm trying to take while on the ship. I think I would need at least 10 down for it to be stable. One call has over a hundred participants so again, I'm quite worried about the functionality of the wifi with throttled speeds. Thanks for chiming in here. I've been doing as much research as I can. Doesn't appear to be anyone on the RCL or Celebrity side willing to help me out.

I would think you can manage if you don't need High Definition ---

Wish you had the opportunity to try it out in advance.   Not sure you will be able to get 10 Down and Upload on Celebrity. 

On 8/14/2024 at 5:42 PM, Margolf said:

Everything I've read is that a consistent 5Mbps connection is good enough.  Here's what MS has to say about it:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network#bandwidth-requirements

I've seen it done successfully with less.

• Like 1