Coffee Card - Buy Ahead?

The O Mariners

Buy on board, i just got back and had prepaid.

it was a pain actually and i was told it was cheaper if you waited until you got on board as you could get the thermos also.

take packing tape and laminate the card, punch it and put it on your lanyard, if you happen to lose it, it will not be replaced with or without specialty coffee.

Enjoy and have a great time.

You may purchase a coffee card in advance for $31.00 by calling Princess at their 800 number. The item is Item #524 and is found at this link on the Princess website:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

It is slightly more expensive if you purchase it on board. If you buy in advance there will be a slip in your room which you take to the coffee bar next to the International Cafe to redeem for your actual coffee card

it was 29.00 on board plus 15%, I prepaid and it was 31.00 CDn, so same price as on board.

our friends waited until they got on board and it they also got the thermos and I had to pay an extra 5.00 for it .

also you have to wait unit they put the slip in your cabin to collect your card from the cafe. Mine did not come until that evening. so i was not able to get a coffee under the card until late after dinner.

it was much easier to wait until you are on board, especially if you think you will want a coffee or drink from the cafe before dinner.

I would not prepay again.

sailed sept 14 to 21, 2014.

As with everything, it depends on what's important to you! I pre-paid for my coffee card on two Princess cruises. I didn't consider it "a pain" to bring the slip to the IC to pick up the card (that's where you have to go to get the coffee anyway) and I don't need another insulated mug, so I appreciate the small savings. However, these things will matter to others.

As with everything, it depends on what's important to you! I pre-paid for my coffee card on two Princess cruises. I didn't consider it "a pain" to bring the slip to the IC to pick up the card (that's where you have to go to get the coffee anyway) and I don't need another insulated mug, so I appreciate the small savings. However, these things will matter to others.

However, if you purchase in advance, there is a non-zero chance

that something can go wrong, and you will have to waste time

resolving the issue.

I have never had a problem going to the i.cafe, ordering my first

coffee of the cruise, and purchasing a card while I drink it.

Additionally, as princess is giving away on board credit like water,

any one who receives it would probably want to purchase onboard

to spend the OBC as opposed to real money.

Edited by pablo222

When we got on board there were 2 areas/tables specifically set up with the ability to buy coffee card and soda package. They gave us each a cup for soda package and put on our stickers and I got a coffee card and got a thermos mug. I used my Onboard Credit. The entire process took about 3 minutes..:)

I just came off the Grand. The coffee cup was an additional $5.00. When I purchased my coffee card I was quoted a price. When I questioned the amount as I knew what it should cost the fellow told me the cup was extra. However he did NOT tell me that until I asked- I suppose they do that intentionally to make more money. Unfortunately people think they're getting a deal when they aren't. So make sure you ask if in fact the coffee cup is extra or not.

I just came off the Grand. The coffee cup was an additional $5.00. When I purchased my coffee card I was quoted a price. When I questioned the amount as I knew what it should cost the fellow told me the cup was extra. However he did NOT tell me that until I asked- I suppose they do that intentionally to make more money. Unfortunately people think they're getting a deal when they aren't. So make sure you ask if in fact the coffee cup is extra or not.

So does anyone know if they charge extra for it on the Crown?

However, if you purchase in advance, there is a non-zero chance

that something can go wrong, and you will have to waste time

resolving the issue.

I have never had a problem going to the i.cafe, ordering my first

coffee of the cruise, and purchasing a card while I drink it.

Additionally, as princess is giving away on board credit like water,

any one who receives it would probably want to purchase onboard

to spend the OBC as opposed to real money.

Yes, as I said different things are important to each of us! I guess I'll live recklessly and purchase in advance, with the full knowledge that something can go wrong. When I was on the Grand in April of this year, the coffee mug was extra, not included in the price of the coffee card. As for OBC, I never have any trouble spending it on any number of things:)

Edited by rpcv77
Additional comment

Slightly OT: Are the coffee card punches still valid on future voyages? I know the brewed coffee benefit is only good for the voyage the card was purchased for. TIA.

The simple answer is Yes, you have it completely correct. The brewed coffee benefit is only for the original voyage, but unused hole punches can be used on future cruises.

I'm planning to buy a Coffee Card. Are cards discounted' date=' if I order before of the cruise? If so, how do I do this? Looking forward to a good cup of coffee in the morning and another one in the afternoon. Thanks in advance for any advice.[/quote']

You can buy it on board.

DH enjoys good, but "plain" coffee. - he doesn't like "fancy" coffee. I don't drink "plain" coffee but do sometimes enjoy cappuccino in the morning and/or after dinner onboard ship. Can we use the specialty punches for my cappuccino, or do we need to buy two packages?

Everything you ever wanted to know about the coffee card:D

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee.

You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

The “unlimited” brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service is also syrup based.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee.

Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

Is it possible for my DH to get a brewed coffee, and me a hot tea at the same time with one card? Not planning to get speciality drinks every time. Didn't really want 2 cards as I don't drink any coffee anyway.

Or can I get free 'regular' hot tea at the cafe while my DH gets his brewed coffee?

Edited by wants2cruise2