Hair coloring question

I use preference by loreal in the dark blonde shade. (My hair is almost all white under the color.) It does'nt seen to last beyond three to three and a half weeks when i'm not in the sun. And much less when i'm in the sun. I will wear a hat most of the time when I m in the sun. Any ideas of another brand of permanent coloring.

I have dark blonde hair and use L'Oreal's Colour Expert to lighten and highlight it. I go to Vegas fairly frequently and in the sun never seem to have any issues with with fading etc. too quickly or in the sun. You might want to give it a try, it might work for you.

~Holly

I also use dark blonde hair colors. I'm a brunette by nature but have genes that dictated going grey very very early. Anyway, it's easier to maintain with lighter colored hair. I have tried many brands of hair color and have never had one last longer than 3 or 3.5 weeks before I have to recolor (and this is when I'm not even in the sun). I think it's a matter of color resistance and how fast your hair grows.

Adventure of the Seas 05/02/04

I found this and hope it may be of some help to you.

There are several techniques you can try for finding a great hair color you will love:

Select the hair coloring product that is most compatible with your life style. If you don't have time to redo your roots every 3-4 weeks, you may want to select a hair color shade that is only 1-3 shades lighter than your natural color. The closer you go to your natural hair color, the less your roots will show as they grow out.

When your roots are less obvious, your hair color will last longer before you have to touch up your roots. Always select the type of coloring product that is easiest for you to maintain.

Apply a deep conditioning treatment to your hair a few days before coloring. The better conditioned your hair is, the easier the color will take and the longer it will last. Recently conditioned hair will also be softer and shinier. As an extra bonus, a deep conditioner will protect your hair against any possible damage from the color chemicals.

Color hair that has not been washed for 1 day. The natural hair oils will assist in making the hair color application more successful. The color will cling better to hair that is not dry.

Use a color enhancing shampoo between applications to enhance and maintain the color. The color shampoos like Mine, Manic Panic, ARTec and Aveda's color shampoos are specifically designed to keep your color fresh as long as possible. Be sure to use the color shampoos religiously to maintain your color. The color shampoos will help you keep your color looking good until it is time for the next application. If you don't wish to use a color enhancing shampoo then at least use the most gentle shampoo that you can.

Avoid exposing your colored hair to the sun or chlorine in swimming pools. The sun may fade your hair color and the chlorine may damage the color. In some severe cases, if you have colored your hair a very light color the chlorine may leave a green tinge to your hair.

Keep your hair conditioned. Hair coloring will make your hair drier than normal. It is important to keep your hair conditioned and soft. Conditioned hair holds color better than dry, brittle or damaged hair. Conditioned hair also makes the colored hair shinier and brighter.

Add a temporary color to give you longer wear. There are several wonderful temporary hair colors now available on the market that will give your hair a temporary color what washes out after a few shampoos. If the roots seem to be growing out a lot faster than normal, or the color looks a little faded, use a temporary color until your next permanent color application.

Use layered colors to prevent an overall faded color look. If your hair is colored all one color, or seems to fade fast after each color application, you may want to try a layered color look. The advantage to applying layered colors would be to have complimentary shades of darker and lighter colors which would reflect the light and give the color a multidimensional look. This would give your color a fresher, less faded look. It would also last longer because of the multiple shades woven into your hair. A professional colorist would need to assist you with layered coloring since it can be somewhat complicated.

Final Hair Coloring Notes

If you use a home hair color kit be sure to read all the instructions before you begin and always have an extra box on hand in case you run out of the mix, have an unexpected spill or the bottle is damaged in any way.

If you visit a color professional, be sure that you carefully explain your lifestyle and time constraints. Be sure to select a color that you can maintain easily and will fit your pocketbook.

Ps you can buy hair products that uv protectors in them I found this link...

http://www.substance.com/shop/kits/results/0%2C%2C229097%2C00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=7778474

tinsel57

I've been using Feria by Loreal for 3 years now, and I've always loved the results. Truly built-in highlights, and it covers the grey I have, and lasts for a long time. Nice, deep color.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than any day at work</MARQUEE>

I haven't been in the hair business in 10 years now, so I'm not really up to date on the latest products. Grey hair (or white hair) means there is no color pigment left in the hair, and it has a hard time getting any pigment to attach to it. That is why the color fades on you so quickly. However, there may have been major advances in the years since I was in the business, and I never did much hair coloring. Most of what I knew then was from the advice of the colorists in our shop.

There is some good advice here regarding conditioning and such, but I would say the best thing for you to do is to consult a professional colorist. I know it's a bit pricey, but this is your hair, your crowning glory. When people describe you, they always mention your hair first, right? We had some clients who eventually let their hair grow out to their natural grey or white, most of them were beautiful.

Good luck.

Kathy

Have to agree with the previous poster.

I have colored my hair since the age of 29 (genetically early greying)and am now 46. After years of stuggling to find a product that looked natural (I have medium brown hair) and would last for a while, I finally let the experts take over! My hair has been dark blonde for the last 6 years or so, and now has added light blonde highlights as well as red! The 3 different colors make an interesting mix when they all start to fade, and the grey only shows at the roots when I go too long between visits.

Well worth the money! I don't pamper myself any other way, so I don't mind spending the extra cash and 2-3 hours that it takes to have my hair look the way I want it to. icon_cool.gif

Definitely visit your hairdresser. I always say it is best to leave the coloring to the professionals. They have the better products that you can't buy without a license (you can get some of them at Sally's, but do you know what to buy and how to mix it and apply it?).

<MARQUEE>icon_smile.gifShelia icon_smile.gif</MARQUEE>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

I tried to post a long, rambling reply before, but I don't know what happened. So, if you read the same thing from me later, I'm not going crazy.

First, make sure you are leaving the product on the recommended time. Directions state if you have grey or color resistant hair, you can leave it on 10-15 minutes longer.

Try a different product or color. For instance try a dark ash (if you can wear it). Now, if the ash turns your hair the slightest hint of green, it means you have a chemical buildup in your hair, which will prevent the color from "grabbing." I think this may be your problem.

Try calling the 800 number. They will be able to tell you what product to use to remove the chemical deposit (available at Sallys). They can also advise you if you can do it yourself or have it professionally done.

I'm not a professional, but have been coloring my own hair or having it done since I was 13.

I too get mine done by my hairdresser, so I vote go to yours as well.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas - RCCL

Voyager of the Seas - RCCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I found my first gray hair on my 16th birthday (both my parents were completely gray by the time they were 30!). I've been using Feria or Garnier Nutrisse and I color about every 4 weeks. It's what works for me because I can't afford to have it done professionally that often. By the way, I'm 34 and would be completely gray now if not for coloring!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;03;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

3/5/05 Honeymoon Cruise To Hawaii On The Island Princess

Hello Ladies,

I am a hair dresser with 10 years experience. For those of you that want to color at home, I suggest using Clairol Grey Naturals series. You have to buy it at Sally Beauty supply or at your local beauty supply. It is a professional color for grey hair. The swatches of hair samples have been done on 50%grey hair and give great lasting results. As a rule I always get a shade darker than what swatch the client has picked out, if you are 50% grey or more. Otherwise use the same color as the swatch color you pick. Also you will get 4 or 5 uses out of one bottle , which makes great savings. You also have to purchase the developer to mix with it. Color and developer can be purchased for about 6dollars and you can get up to 4 uses out of it. Stay away from ash blondes because grey hair wont take to it.

Any questions feel free to email me. thekeanefamily@cox.net

amy

I am 47 and did the highlighting just around my face and top of my head. I hated it. It made my hair very difficult to manage, I HAD to use a conditioner or you could not even get a comb through it. It felt like straw.

And guess what, I had my hairdresser do it because I didn't want to take the chance to screw it up myself!! Never again!

tinsel57

Bluigirl, what if you hair is coming in more silver than grey?? I was a tow head as a kid, white blonde hair that gradually darkened as I aged and now it's reversing itself!! It's not grey, but more like a silver white.

tinsel57

How old am I?? icon_eek.gif The mind is a terrible thing to waste - especially when you don't know your own age!! I stopped keeping track once 40 hit!

I had my hairdresser do the process. That's what floored me about the whole thing.If I had done this and had this result I would have thought I'd screwed it up. But I paid her and it came out like this..FYI- color was great but I hated and still do the consistency of my hair.IT's 'grown down' my hair line but I can't get a comb through it after washing - I have waist length hair- unless I use conditioner. I don't know what she used but it's back to L'Oreal for me!

tinsel57

oh Tinsel.... I misunderstood you... I thought you had done a home kit. My hairdresser has been doing mine, and it doesn't make it snarly or coarse at all...I'd go back if I were you and get your $ back or have it redone. That shouldn't happen!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/12/03

As bold as I am hunting cruise fares I am not so bold sitting in the salon chair! This was back in Dec. It looked great but I almost wonder if it wasn't cellophaned or whatever they now call it. She cut my hair since and never said a word so I assumed that everything was normal. Shame. She gives a good hair cut but as I said, I won't be doing that again!

tinsel57

Archived