Handicap Cabins on a Grand Class ship?

mpdahmer

We are bookig a cruise for next April on the Caribbean Princess. My Father-in-law wants to go with us but would need a wheelchair accessible cabin. Has anyone had one of these cabins or know of anyone who has.

Does anyone have pictures of these cabins?

We are looking in the BC Cat. range.

Thanks & Hapy Sailing!!!

Mark D.

Here is a link to a cat II inside wheelchair access cabin. Has wider spaces between furniture, no lip on bathroom entry, wider doors and fully accessible shower

http://community.webshots.com/photo/130685284/130693289FuuAru

There are a few cabins like this in each category. A Balcony cabine would be essentially the same layout as this, but with a sliding door to the balcony where the wall is. Do book early, however, as they are limited.

The shower is a roll in shower with a pull down seat. There is less furniture because of the need to make room for the wheelchair to turn. The closet is smaller than standard BC cabins, but at least there is a closet because in lower category wheelchair accessible staterooms, often the closet is taken to make the room bigger for the wheelchair. There is a ramp which goes from the balcony to the room so that the wheelchair can go outside. However, the ramp does take up some of the room on the balcony, so be aware of that.

There are only sixteen wheelchair accessible balcony staterooms on the entire ship. There are no other wheelchair accessible staterooms in any other category (no minisuite and no suites). So these do book up fast.

You should also post on the disabled forum as you may be able to obtain additional information including someone who has pictures.

We were upgraded to Aloha 303 on our Golden Princess cruise--biggest cabin we'd ever seen. It was nice! Later we surmised that it must have been a handicapped accessible room. Most of the ship cabins-deck plans-are configured the same way, so I would imagine that the Aloha 303 on the CB Princess would be the same.We were on that ship last year and I saluted it every time we went by. It is right by a bank of elevators and the stairs. Check it out. When you look at the deck plans when making a reservation they will designate where the HA cabins are.

For that matter, on every ship I've been on since, I've found that particular cabin and found my way around the ship from there---to Horizon Court up, and to the Promenade Deck down. You'll enjoy it, whatever one you choose! Lynne

We just placed a hold on A304 for my Father-in-law while he decides if he really wants to go. I have seen some pictures my wife found on the internet of those cabins (panaramic view) hopefully it will help him decide. The kids would enjoy having him there.

Thanks for your help,

Mark D.

If you request the cabin next door to him you will be able to have the door open between the two balconies.

We checked with our TA and it is booked...or not in the available rooms that he could get.

Oh well...we have three cabins in a row booked on the other side of the ship that we will have them open up the divider door.

Thanks for the thought,

Mark D.

Archived