Poor service no interest in building ongoing relationships

Coco64

No, I didn't imply that. One can only wonder at how you managed to infer that. Or are you just being argumentative?

Cabins get sold up until a few days before. The point I made in that comment which specifically referred to comment about cancellation penalties being bad as "no service was provided", and make again, is that there is a penalty because they have been unable to sell while you have the booking which means that they miss out on other customers who would seriously intend to go.

If they didn't impose such penalties then people would happily hold on to cabins for a long time, right up to the week or even day before sailing, as there was no cost to them to do so (aside from the temporary holding of a small deposit).

Did or did not the company have the chance to reinstate the booking?

Yes

Would reinstating the booking have caused a loss to the company?

No

Could not reinstating the booking cause the company a loss?

Yes

So the only way the company could lose is by imposing a fee and not reinstating the booking. The OP wanted to reinstate, they made a momentary bad choice but then tried to reverse that, to which the company said NO. In this instance there is no need to describe how the company could have lost money and why they charge cancellation fees because the customer was back knocking at the door and ready to cruise. Can you not see that, or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

n this instance there is no need to describe how the company could have lost money and why they charge cancellation fees because the customer was back knocking at the door and ready to cruise. Can you not see that, or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

You're arguing with something I didn't say, and stating that I wrote things I didn't.

Hence, it is you arguing for the sake of it.

I don't know if we have heard back from the OP on the actual outcome he had. Maybe he got a favorable outcome of some type and doesn't want to share it with us (for whatever reason).

In my opinion (and it is just that) this thread has become more about whether a company has the right to impose the T&C's that are in the agreement that the cruiser agrees to when they book a cruise or not, than actual advice for the OP that could help them get a positive outcome.

Consumers want no rules, at least ONLY rules that benefit them 100% of the time, or rules that can be 'bent for their need' and if that were to be the case, companies would face havoc.

Edited by Paulette3028

If the OP would have written a different subject that was less harsh towards RCI (e.g., "I just cancelled, and want to reinstate, what should I do"), this would have been a much shorter thread and would have gone in a completely different direction.

If the OP would have written a different subject that was less harsh towards RCI (e.g., "I just cancelled, and want to reinstate, what should I do"), this would have been a much shorter thread and would have gone in a completely different direction.

Yes, different responses likely would have been posted if a thread with your suggested title had been started within a few hours after the cancellation.

Backing up one step further, different responses would also have resulted if, before cancelling, the OP had started a thread contemplating the cancellation in light of illness in family.

Yes, different responses likely would have been posted if a thread with your suggested title had been started within a few hours after the cancellation.

Backing up one step further, different responses would also have resulted if, before cancelling, the OP had started a thread contemplating the cancellation in light of illness in family.

Good points!

Good points!

I am thinking the OP won't come back because they either booked a cruise with another line or booked a land trip or didn't book a trip at all. I don't blame them. They are better off not cruising with Royal caribbean at this time with the negative feeling about Royal.

So unless there is a real discussion here, probably not a great idea to keep addressing the OP's situation or especially not bashing the OP. JMO.

I have been following this since the start and wanted to make a comment.

For those who aren't aware of it the rules (i.e. Terms and Conditions) in Australia are very different to the US. There are certain benefits, such as the fact that they must advertise prices including taxes and there are certain consumer protections. But there are also areas where the rules are what many would say is not as good such as being able to get price drops credited and loss of deposit if you cancel within 150 days of the cruise.

Interestingly enough it also says in the Australian T&C that "All guests MUST obtain personal travel insurance at the time that you book your cruise" (which I presume is so that RCI doesn't have trouble trying to get money from an individual for something that costs them a lot of money). This means that if you follow the T&C and you end up needing to cancel your cruise for negative reasons then you get almost all your money back.

I would hope that the OP (and in fact everyone who makes a booking) has travel insurance at which point they should be able to claim back their loss minus the excess and book a different cruise with minimal out of pocket expenses.

Not sure where you got all that from have done 4 royal cruises never had to book travel insurance when I book a cruise? so I have to ask after reading this thread are some of you royal lovers for real? The OP has not asked for anything other than have to reinstate there cruise no cost to RCI, happened same day ? yet you people carry on like the OP is asking for the earth come on get real .

Just remember next time you return something to a shop for a refund or exchange ????? same difference To the OP hope things work out for you and your family I would just count your losses and never touch Royal again

Not sure where you got all that from have done 4 royal cruises never had to book travel insurance when I book a cruise? so I have to ask after reading this thread are some of you royal lovers for real?

To answer your question the section that I quoted is from the RCI Terms and Conditions when you purchase a cruise in Australia. If you visit the Australian RCI site and download a brochure it is all contained in the last couple of pages. I was somewhat surprised when I read it myself as I have never been prompted to purchase travel insurance either and didn't notice it on the first few times that I had read bits of the T&C.

You make an interesting point about returning something to a shop for a refund or exchange as those consumer protection rights are enshrined in law here in Australia (to a greater or lessor extent). Differing consumer protection rights in each country such as the Australian Travel Compensation Fund (http://www.tcf.org.au) is one of the reasons that there are different T&C in different territories.

Having said that I would repeat that if you go cruising you should book insurance and the Australian Government recommends travel insurance for all overseas trips (http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/insurance.html). With insurance the OP would be left with minimal out of pocket no matter how RCI responds.

Not sure where you got all that from have done 4 royal cruises never had to book travel insurance when I book a cruise? so I have to ask after reading this thread are some of you royal lovers for real? The OP has not asked for anything other than have to reinstate there cruise no cost to RCI, happened same day ? yet you people carry on like the OP is asking for the earth come on get real .

Just remember next time you return something to a shop for a refund or exchange ????? same difference To the OP hope things work out for you and your family I would just count your losses and never touch Royal again

Travel insurance is a separate issue. a typical insurance likely would have covered the cancellation; it would have helped that far. The insurance company would not have to help with re-possible reinstatement, but maybe the insurance company would have tried to help (to cut their own costs). Maybe.

The company did not get the reinstatement request the same day; it was two days later. OP says he cancelled on Friday. While OP said they decided they wanted to re-instate the booking the same day. Maybe that is true, but the OP states they did not manage to contact the company until 2 days later. A determined guest could have reached the company the same day as there are 24 hour phone lines and electronic resources. Perhaps it is debatable whether same day or two days should matter to the outcome, but, in fairness to the company, do not refer to it as a same day request came in two days later.

If I purchased an item at a store with a restocking fee, returned the item, received the price less restocking fee, then return two days later wanting item back, I would expect the store to charge me full price again. I had agreed to the terms of the sale. The indecision was mine, not theirs.

Opinions on such scenarios will vary. I do hope the OP and partner and family are doing OK. If the family member care has gone well so far, the OP may still be sad about this cancellation issue. On the other hand, if the family member's health has continued to present increasing challenges, the OP, by now, may be relieved they cancelled the cruise. Unless the OP returns, we will not know.

• 1 year later...

Everyone has a story, and now I have mine....but I disagree with the philosophy that Royal is 'no longer interested in building ongoing relationships'.

Problems in life happen and the cause can be on the side of the cruiser or brought on by the cruise line. Ours was caused by the cruise line.

Weeks before our cruise, for some unknown reason, Royal cancels our cruise, even though it was paid in full. Called our TA and she tries for days to get our cruise re-instated. Over close to a week, it finally is -- but all is still not right -- our excursions are still gone and have not been financially refunded. TA has hit a wall.

Well I reach out to someone at Royal corporate for help....it comes within hours -- they knew that HOW the situation was handled was poor and if they wanted to keep a cruiser that it had to be rectified, somehow. It still took the corporate offices a few days to handle...but it was handled -- even though a TA was involved.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, but RCL has an 800 number, not sure how could have NOT gotten in touch with someone???? And to be honest you cancelled the cruise, not sure what you really expected?

OP is in Australia. Doubt the US 800 number would have done him any good. OP : So sorry for your friend's troubles. Prayers to him and his family (and you as well).