San Juan Sailing NYE which ship?

CFC

Hi, dad and 9 year old son are off to San Juan for NYE. We already book our air now, we need a ship. Any advice? Great 'problem' to have.

Adventure of the Sea?

No love in the reviews. The most affordable (not considering Carnival) with many features. Cat z is available and price just dropped.

Jewel

The best itinerary and like that the last day is at sea and Grenada seems interesting. $200 more for this inside gty.

Celebrity Summit

Best value cat 6 ov with large obc make this $100 less than Jewel. I'm worried about the sedate kids club and activities on board. Lastly, I don't dress up for dinner (sorry on vacation), khakis and a polo or dress shirt. They don't seem welcoming to that.

Carnival Valor

Should consider as it gets better reviews than AoS but the decor is pretty dated and the food pics look horrible.

Can't speak for Carnivsl or X but I would go with AD if you think son would like to ice skate and if you think you might want to eat at Johnny Rockets ($ cover charge). AD has been revitalized (even though they didnt do much) whereas JW has not. Now...that being said....i dont think you could go wring eith either. We love both of these....we have sailed JW twice this year and are doing AD twice later this year. We usually choose whichever has the best itinerary for whatever date we are going. Also, forus, it depends on whether Sat or Sun works better for the departure/return.

Jewel is the only one I have done and loved it. If it was you and an adult I would say this one hands down. I've seen plenty of good reviews of Adventure and the Voyager class is a nice class and definitely reports are the kids club and activities are very good. To me this is the choice. I have no knowledge of Carnival.

Here's what I would ask- being that you are that open to that many ships.

Where are you on NYE? And where are you supposed to be on 1/1?

If you are at sea on New Year's Eve, the celebration will be nice, but no fireworks.

If they are all at a port on 12/31, well... I would then wonder where is the next port- if it's a long way off, they may leave at a normal time. If it's close, they may stay at the port until midnight.

We did the Brilliance for NYE a few years ago, and were at St. Maarten. Since the next day was so close, the ship was just out in the harbor until just past midnight, so we could see the fireworks.

Pretty cool. So I'd very much factor that in on your decision.

(we've sailed the Adventure a lot, and will be on her the week of Christmas- great ship, great crew- don't let that worry you).

Here's what I would ask- being that you are that open to that many ships.

Where are you on NYE? And where are you supposed to be on 1/1?

We usually do Disney every year for NYE. This year we wanted something different for the amount of money we spend.

I work at a University and we are closed and my son is out of school, so the dates are set. Found a great airfare to SJU and said why not? So we arrive San Juan on 12/27/2014 and depart 01/04/2015. It just happens to be over NYE.

We do have a hotel booked just in case but thought a cruise might be fun.

Edited by CFC
fixed spelling error

We usually do Disney every year for NYE. This year we wanted something different for the amount of money we spend.

I work at a University and we are closed and my son is out of school, so the dates are set. Found a great airfare to SJU and said why not? So we arrive San Juan on 12/27/2014 and depart 01/04/2015. It just happens to be over NYE.

We do have a hotel booked just in case but thought a cruise might be fun.

I more meant where is the ship going to be on NYE.

Since the cost of the New Years trips tend to be more, I, personally, would want one that the celebration would be really fun. And since you have a 9 year old, that tells me fireworks. :D

So my #1 priority would be that the ship is in a port on NYE and has a short distance to go for the next day so that you get to see that port's New Year's fireworks.

If you end up staying in San Juan- I'm pretty sure there are parties and fireworks- we will be in Ponce, and they have some at one of the beach resorts. Pretty fun.

If it's close, they may stay at the port until midnight.

We did the Brilliance for NYE a few years ago, and were at St. Maarten. Since the next day was so close, the ship was just out in the harbor until just past midnight, so we could see the fireworks.

Pretty cool. .

Wow! That would be very cool. I have never heard of them doing that! I don't think there is anyway to know ahead of time though if they plan on doing it.