10/1/14: Anyone else watching Disney Wonder?

rkacruiser

Watching the Port Canaveral web cam, it appears that Disney Wonder started to sail. She pulled away from the dock, then started to turn and back up. For a while, I thought her stern might hit Carnival Pride. Then. she continued her turn and appears to have re-docked with the bow pointed towards the shore rather than as it had been.

Unusual to say the least!

I hope someone who is aboard will inform us as to what this was all about.

With it getting dark and the overcast sky wouldn't you think you could see some lights on the chip?

Good observation! I had not noticed that. When I saw what was happening, I did wonder if there was a power/propulsion failure. But, the big screen at the top of the ship is operating, so there must be some power available, if that is the problem.

Very strange. I would have assumed if something had happened they would have simply backed into the berth like they did this morning.

Roy

Do you know if Wonder has pods or props? During the maneuver, I saw no water movement from the stern. All the water movement appeared to be coming from the starboard side of the vessel, i.e. thrusters.

My first thought was a problem with one of the lifeboats and that it needed to be serviced on land or swapped out.

Just went to the PCwebcam and there is a crane behind the view of her moving into shot occasionally between the funnels.

My guess is either a lifeboat swap/maintenance or a large item is being craned onboard port side.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Do you know if Wonder has pods or props? During the maneuver, I saw no water movement from the stern. All the water movement appeared to be coming from the starboard side of the vessel, i.e. thrusters.

The Magic and Wonder have props.

Also the Dream and Fantasy.

ex techie

My first thought was a problem with one of the lifeboats and that it needed to be serviced on land or swapped out.

Just went to the PCwebcam and there is a crane behind the view of her moving into shot occasionally between the funnels.

My guess is either a lifeboat swap/maintenance or a large item is being craned onboard port side.

ex techie

At the time of the Muster Drill, the last lifeboat on the port side had been lowered to embarkation deck level. Shortly, it had been raised to its stored position. Your guess about a lifeboat swap/maintenance is reasonable.

At the time of the Muster Drill, the last lifeboat on the port side had been lowered to embarkation deck level. Shortly, it had been raised to its stored position. Your guess about a lifeboat swap/maintenance is reasonable.

They have spares in storage to swap out as necessary.

Anyone spot a bright Mickey Yellow Lifeboat on the I95 this afternoon?!? lol!

(If that is the reason)

ex techie

Best looking cruise ship sailing. Period.

She is gorgeous, balanced and sleek without that slide the Magic now has and so much better looking than the D&F.

ex techie

Agree as to her appearance. Fantasy and Dream appear so top-heavy on their forward or stern views.

Yesterday, they replaced the trolleys on the sides of the ship that they use for cleaning the sides of the ship and the windows. They replaced the starboard side first in the morning. And then in the afternoon they turned the ship around and did the port side. They had to be lifted in place and attached using a 200 ton crane. So they started the turn around procedure around 3:30pm. They finally finished at around 5:30pm. Quite an operation. They had to wait until most of the luggage and stores were onboard before they could turn the ship around so they would stay close to schedule.

Where is she going ?????

Well they will have to retire her. And if she don't have the horrible staircase removal the Magic did or the unsightly Dunk slide, she will remain aesthetically as she was built.

I still think the Magic and Wonder will be retired before late 2018 or 2019.

ex techie

Well they will have to retire her. And if she don't have the horrible staircase removal the Magic did or the unsightly Dunk slide, she will remain aesthetically as she was built.

ex techie

Another question - sorry. I've been on Magic a number of years ago. What staircase has been removed?

ex techie

Sorry my friend, we finially disagree on something..............both vessels will be in DCL livery until at least 2024/25 they are that well maintained, unique, and special! Right now they are only middle aged.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper