Steak in "chops"

Correct, but it's not only for that! appetizer, dessert and gratuities are also included in the price!

The desserts are appalling quality now as well, compared to how they were last year when we sailed.

Different recipes (much less in quality) and very small portions compared to previously.

It's a real shame they've turned Chops Grille into Chops 'Budget' Grille.

But then again all these first time cruisers they are trying so hard to attract won't know any different so why should Royal care ???????

I wonder if it is ship specific, I was on Enchantment in August and had a great strip steak at chops, and it looked nothing like that one. Wish I had taken a picture now

Maybe I beleive we both where on grandeur

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

Used to have a bone- in ribeye years ago that was outstanding at Chops.

Have Chops booked twice on Quantum of the Seas in March, having second thoughts after these reports of the new menu.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Whoa! The promo photo in luv2cruiserccl's post isn't much more appetizing looking than the OP photo.

We are aboard Allure for a back to back next month and one of our TA perks is dinner for two ($70) on each cruise and we thought Chops might be the place to go....

Is there anything else on the menu that one might choose?

My husband and I just discussed this last night for our upcoming booking. I am not going to book Chops again. We will be trying the Samba Grill and Giovannis and then possibly the Chefs Table. Done with the poor food quality and tasteless meat in Chops. It is a shame but when you are considering how to spend your hard earned dollars on your vacation and with two bad trips just a couple weeks ago, Chops is over for us.

Loved Chops when we first tried it about 4-5 years ago on Liberty.

They came out and made "signature martinis" at the table amongst other things and the service was just impeccable.

We have gone every year since then and it just seems to be less of an experience and more of a hu-hum dinner each time.

Family we travel with still wants to go to Chops, but when we cruise without them we have no plans to try it again.

I wouldn't pay $30 for that.......

You get more than just a steak.... the sides and appetizers and desserts were awesome too. I had the shrimp cocktail and they were NOTHING like you get in the main dining room. I had 4 huge shrimp.... they were more like small lobster tails to be honest. I think the meal is worth 30 bux... but then I had the 10oz filet and not the strip steak.

Royal has cut food costs in their premium restaurants in the last several years, just like in other areas. I use to think that Chops was close to the land based steakhouses and worth the then $20 surcharge. No more, it's not the same, even their sides have been affected.

good to know for our upcoming Freedom cruise, I would be tempted to try the steaks at Chop's but not now...we did try the premium steakhouse on Carnival Breeze our last cruise and it was actually very nicely done, and worth the same money you would pay at a steakhouse. With all these lousy comments now we won't waste our hard earned cash..

Thanks. I was beginning to think that we should totally avoid Chops...the comment on the filet with bernaise was promising.:)

I am the fussy one in our family; my wife will eat most everything. Is everything in the Samba Grill "seasoned"? Or can one get a steak there basic style? I don't like raw anything, including salads or herbs...so it can be a problem for me in new-style, trendy restaurants, who want to load everything up with cilantro, pasta/risotto instead of potato, or partially (barely) cooking vegetables or do "classics" with a new twist....for example I was looking forward to Giovanni's Table, until a poster photographed the "lasagna" for a review. Looked like stewed tomatoes (yuck) over one side of pasta while there was a cheese sauce (?) over the other side and the poster noted not much meat. Not my idea of lasagna, and that pretty well took care of the menu there, for me.

That's when we decided to try Chops....and now this thread makes me wonder. For sure will try it one night of one cruise, and will look over the menus of other spots for sure once on board. I realize that I am the odd one out these days as everyone seems to be so enamored of the new cuisine models....

Bill

Thanks. I was beginning to think that we should totally avoid Chops...the comment on the filet with bernaise was promising.:)

I am the fussy one in our family; my wife will eat most everything. Is everything in the Samba Grill "seasoned"? Or can one get a steak there basic style? I don't like raw anything, including salads or herbs...so it can be a problem for me in new-style, trendy restaurants, who want to load everything up with cilantro, pasta/risotto instead of potato, or partially (barely) cooking vegetables or do "classics" with a new twist....for example I was looking forward to Giovanni's Table, until a poster photographed the "lasagna" for a review. Looked like stewed tomatoes (yuck) over one side of pasta while there was a cheese sauce (?) over the other side and the poster noted not much meat. Not my idea of lasagna, and that pretty well took care of the menu there, for me.

That's when we decided to try Chops....and now this thread makes me wonder. For sure will try it one night of one cruise, and will look over the menus of other spots for sure once on board. I realize that I am the odd one out these days as everyone seems to be so enamored of the new cuisine models....

Bill

If you've never tried it before and don't have anything previously to compare it to then try it - I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

:)

Bill

I saw a pic of that lasagna. I don't believe I could have choked that down.

Trainman's pics looked great and I am happy we have booked for our cruise. Just wish they had the crème brulee still.

When I was at chops I enjoyed it was not like it was few years back but still good cook good medium as requested and then the sides but I had voucher from ta as well.

sent from my galaxy s4 please excuse any error's thanks

Was on the 9/14 sailing on Freedom and husband and I ate at Chops with a TA voucher. The food was very good, but the service was TERRIBLE. Very condescending waiter. :mad: We had planned to tip extra, but did not. Also, I noticed something that I found very aggravating. In the compass, where they are pushing the specialty restaurants, it states gratuity included in the fee. But after you eat, they present you with a slip to sign which states that a small portion of the fee goes to gratuity and you're basically encouraged to leave an additional tip. I think this is very misleading. Does anyone know just how much of the fee goes to gratuity? Anyway, looking back, I wish we had got up and left and told them we would prefer to eat at Portofino's instead. By the way, we had excellent service in the MDR this cruise, probably the best ever. :D Great steward also.

Add us to the ones no longer going to Chops. The new menu includes entrees included in the $35 cost and "upgrades" for a high price for items included in the prior menu. On our last try, we were with 3 other couples. None were really satisfied. For example the filet was allegedly 6 oz prior to cooking and after at medium rare it was about half that weight. The other meats had the same issue. The vegetables included 4 types of potatoes (mashed, baked, steak fries and large tater tots), limp and tasteless spinach, and mushrooms with a canned appearance and taste. The "upgrade" entrees reminded us of frozen steaks available at places like Costco and Sams Club. Our trips to Giovanni's and Samba Grill are still well worth the cost for excellent meals and service

I have to agree with those who say Chops is not what it was when first introduced on the ships. The last few times we have been the filet has been quite dry (I order mine rare to med. rare) I can only imagine what my friend who orders hers butterflied and well-done :eek: had to deal with. The sides are nothing really memorable, either. On the other hand, we love Giovanni's Table which is a newer addition to the specialty restaurants. I can only hope it does not decline over time. :)

I had been less and less enamored with Chops over the past few years. But my experience on Allure in September was actually a pleasant surprise. I thought the new menu was quite good, with much more appealing sides. And the steaks and veal chop were all very good. The appetizers were also outstanding. I ended up dining there three times because I was so pleasantly surprised.

As for the service, I have never been disappointed with the service in Chops.